hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 455 of 459 FirstFirst ... 355405445452453454455456457458 ... LastLast
Results 9,081 to 9,100 of 9169

Thread: Chris Roberts is back. (Star Citizen / Squadron 42 thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes DuSid View Post
    Huh, the semi joke 400i is okay and all, kinda not really doing anything I care about that a Conni doesn't do or a Carrack doesn't do better, however, that Liberator.

So it has 2 small bays, 2 x-small bays and some room for land vehicles, people, weapons, cargo and it can sort of put out some firepower on it's own. People have been saying pocket carrier for everything since this game started making it's larger ships appear in game, but this is finally actually it. A real pocket carrier.

I like that I find the design language reminds me of clone wars storm trooper tech to a certain extent. I like it.

Edit: After the Liberator they talked about the Banu Merchantman, and they're totally willing to make it big, competent and deadly. I expected a little nerfing to happen during the modeling and shifting goals to make the Kraken worthwhile, but from the panel, it looks like they just made it a little fatter and left it a very significant ship over all. Very interesting.
    Vibes.

I found the layout of the 400 to be more interesting as i think it will influence the rework of the 600 quite a lot. 600 being my fav.

BRB - they dropped 3.15 PTU patch mid conference.... Duh

i used to kickstart stuff before kickstart even started Donor Hayes DuSid's Avatar
    I don't quite like the 400i's look, and it's layout has been constrained by it's elongated and super thin layout, but I will say it's use of space is quite interesting. I wonder how much of this will translate to the 600i's rework.

People are starting to get revved up about the Liberator's non combat uses. Two prospectors, two ROCs and any kind of scout vessel are starting to look quite viable as a loadout to go somewhere and just strip mine a place out. With 400 SCU on the Liberator to store ore and a somewhat fast vessel to go out and scout, you could pretty much keep 5 people fairly occupied with just mining out some moon surfaces.

Alternatively, for the lulz, just loading it with a few tanks and buggies with machine guns and then rushing to drop them all off in the middle of a hostile outpost like the mission they showed for their demo this year. Just hot dropping 4 tanks and 2 buggies in the middle and letting them get to work on what was supposed to be a bit of a stealth mission or maybe a hard fought battle.
    "How fleeting are all human passions compared to the massive continuity of ducks."- Dorothy L.
    Sayers, Gaudy Night (1935)

I thought the Citizen Con would unlock all ships.
    Was looking into buying the Pioneer and getting me a CCU into a Carrack.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

i used to kickstart stuff before kickstart even started Donor Hayes DuSid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    I thought the Citizen Con would unlock all ships.
    Was looking into buying the Pioneer and getting me a CCU into a Carrack.
    They did this last time too, the ship sale will happen in November for IAE 2951, you'll get the access you need.
    "How fleeting are all human passions compared to the massive continuity of ducks."- Dorothy L.

I replaced my now obsolete Caterpillar with a Liberator.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Did you pay for a ship with real money that has now become obsolete before the game is even done, so you paid again for something new and still essentially theoretical?

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Did you pay for a ship with real money that has now become obsolete before the game is even done, so you paid again for something new and still essentially theoretical?
    No.
    Caterpillar is a modular cargo ship. Large capacity, but can't handle large cargo object.
    The Hercules is a cargo ship that can transport Vehicles, which is more useful to me.

No.
    Caterpillar is a modular cargo ship. Large capacity, but can't handle large cargo object.
    The Hercules is a cargo ship that can transport Vehicles, which is more useful to me.
    So you did pay $ for the Caterpillar?

No.
    And why is that relevant?

I changed it into another ship I needed.

No.
    As far as I remember, you can refund ships for store credit, and buy others for the money.

This is madness

It isn't really madness, the Caterpillar is still an amazing ship and has uses if their wormhole tech and multiple systems thing becomes a reality (which with this year's CitCon showing us another system, might not be that far away), smaller ships and ships with very large quantum fuel tanks gain value.

There's ship size limits on some of the wormholes between systems, where operating inside Standton alone doesn't punish bigger ships much between the short travel distances and the lack of wormhole sizes mattering.

Also, The Caterpillar is still actually amazing even without those, it's cost to usage is quite good. I'm guessing VARRAKK just had some other uses he wanted and the Liberator fills that better. For me, I dislike the Caterpillar because I have a hard time judging where the nose is for parking in tight landing bays.

And before we get into 'but he paid money for it and now something else does that job better', no, it's still a good ship, it just doesn't do vehicle transport well, and the Liberator does. It's not like the money vanished, or isn't useful, he just upgraded his pledge most likely which uses the money from the Caterpillar pledge.

It isn't really madness, the Caterpillar is still an amazing ship and has uses if their wormhole tech and multiple systems thing becomes a reality (which with this year's CitCon showing us another system, might not be that far away), smaller ships and ships with very large quantum fuel tanks gain value.

There's ship size limits on some of the wormholes between systems, where operating inside Standton alone doesn't punish bigger ships much between the short travel distances and the lack of wormhole sizes mattering.

Also, The Caterpillar is still actually amazing even without those, it's cost to usage is quite good. I'm guessing VARRAKK just had some other uses he wanted and the Liberator fills that better. For me, I dislike the Caterpillar because I have a hard time judging where the nose is for parking in tight landing bays.

And before we get into 'but he paid money for it and now something else does that job better', no, it's still a good ship, it just doesn't do vehicle transport well, and the Liberator does. It's not like the money vanished, or isn't useful, he just upgraded his pledge most likely which uses the money from the Caterpillar pledge.
    I hope my cat is still a fun ship when/if I finally get to fly it. For the sake of my budget, I've avoided spending any money since the initial campaign, and seeing all the other ships come out since then has been a little disheartening. Is the M50 still the king of speed like it was advertised? Does the retaliator still have a purpose that isn't eclipsed by a better gunship? Etc.

I can't actually remember what all I've got in my hangar at this point, I should probably check.

Edit: Drake Herald (There's a name I haven't heard in a long time) hornet tracker (ditto) mustang omega AMD edition (lol) Retaliator, M50, Caterpillar, Connie Andromeda.

Apparently I have no idea what I actually want to do in the game.
    Last edited by Steckersaurus; October 11 2021 at 03:12:38 PM.
    Quarantined and loving life.

I just realized : Star Citizen is basically equivalent with NFTs.

And considering who is involved in the project, it's almost amazing that there is no SC-Crypto currency yet, or BLoCkchAIn technology involved.
    Calling it now: SC NFTs incomming.

@ Steckersaurus
    Caterpillar is still not finished. The command module still cannot be detached and fly around as a independent ship.
    Nor has any of the non-cargo modules for it been made. It is still one of the best small cargo haulers.

M50, Razor and 350R have virtually identical speed. You can still upgrade, overclock, overheat and hack components (at some point).
    Not to mention upgrade thrusters (eventually).

Retaliator has only gotten stronger and more useful.
    Tbh it shields are kinda weak, 2x S5 so 15k hp. Armor is still not in game yet. (I'm sure the shields will be dealt with in the rework)
    It is kinda weird for a Aegis ship to be heavily armored tho. But it has 6 turrets with 2x Size 3 guns, so it carried a lot of fire power.
    No other ship carries the Torpedo firepower it does. Polaris might rival it, but that is a Corvette not a small Tactical Bomber.
    It is being reworked to "gold standard" right now.

Drake Herald, no data running gameplay. But is should be early next year I think.
    Really poor handling, can only go really fast in a straight line. I don't like this ship.

Hornet Tracker, no gameplay for it yet.

Mustang Omega AMD, NEVER EVER UPGRADE THIS SHIP. This is a rarity.

Constellation Andromeda, probably one of the best ships in the game.
    For solo gameplay, few if any ships carry as much firepower and staying power.
    Decent hauler.

Your fleet looks solid, you don't have a mining ship/vehicle. Besides that you can do almost anything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post

I hope my cat is still a fun ship when/if I finally get to fly it. For the sake of my budget, I've avoided spending any money since the initial campaign, and seeing all the other ships come out since then has been a little disheartening. Is the M50 still the king of speed like it was advertised? Does the retaliator still have a purpose that isn't eclipsed by a better gunship? Etc.

I can't actually remember what all I've got in my hangar at this point, I should probably check.

Edit: Drake Herald (There's a name I haven't heard in a long time) hornet tracker (ditto) mustang omega AMD edition (lol) Retaliator, M50, Caterpillar, Connie Andromeda.

Apparently I have no idea what I actually want to do in the game.
    So actually, I think they're doing a pretty great job of Differentiating ships. They're adding more in, but they mostly don't directly compete with each other in the same stat areas. Usually you'll get a variation that fills the same roles but with a different feel.

The Caterpillar is still one of the most popular cargo runners actively in use today, there's been some bigger and smaller ships introduced, but for it's price point and size, it's more or less in a class of it's own for cargo hauling. Add into this that there's intent to make different modules for it so you can swap out some cargo space for some other stuff (one of it's roles was a racing ship transport vessel, which sounds random but they want a docking bay and a repair and re-arm bay as modules and that sounds great).

M50 basically within 5% of the other two racing ships for top speed (Razor is a tiny bit slower, 350R is a tiny bit faster), but it handles better than the 350 and comes with better shields and weapons than the Razor. It's very much kept it's racing niche and fills it quite well. Arguably, if weapons weren't allowed, the Razor would be mildly better but almost every race so far seems to allow weapons, so that's a moot point.

The Retaliator is the premier torp boat in game at the moment. It's secondary weapons are incredibly strong and it's actually a bit of a horror story to have one appear if it's even near fully crewed. The other ships at this level rely on turrets and straight firepower to win engagements where the Retaliator has the alpha strike of torps that really shone during Xenothreat, a couple of 'talis would wreck the Idris if people dropped it's shields.

Hornet Tracker is somewhat abused because the supplemental scanner isn't in game and the base Hornet is a little meh currently, it doesn't have a turret and with the current capacitor gameplay, that's rough on managing your shots. It's servicable but definitely not a forerunner in the fighter field, personally I prefer the Gladius, even though it's much lighter, since it can evade better and while it has fewer guns, I don't struggle to keep them topped up with power. The devs have said they want the Hornet to be a proper threat since it's the UEE mainline fighter, but it's currently not in a great place.

Mustang Omega is unique, it's a starter so don't expect too much from it, but it's a good starter and works for intro combat.

The Drake Herald doesn't have a direct purpose right now, it's meant to be an advanced information runner / hacker boat, but hacking isn't in game and info manipulation currently involves you invading stations and wiping records off the servers, so nothing for the ship to get involved in. It's one selling point currently is that it's insanely fast in a straight line, with no maneuverability at all. If you just want to run away and don't have any obstacles in your way, this ship is great at that.

Honestly, you're in a good position ship wise. Good trading stuff, good combat stuff and when some other gameplay cycles come in, you've got some money makers to be able to buy the new stuff in game without further pledges.

Cool. I can always earn a mining ship at some point, or fly support for people who are mining.

Mustang Omega AMD, NEVER EVER UPGRADE THIS SHIP. This is a rarity.
    That's funny, because I remember first getting it and being underwhelmed and thinking that maybe I'd just use it as a free $65 to upgrade into something else. Glad I didn't. At least it's pretty.

I'm not even using that GPU anymore. I think it might be in the old tower that I loaned to my dad when he suddenly had to work remote and his laptop wasn't up to the task.

Edit:

The Retaliator is the premier torp boat in game at the moment. It's secondary weapons are incredibly strong and it's actually a bit of a horror story to have one appear if it's even near fully crewed. The other ships at this level rely on turrets and straight firepower to win engagements where the Retaliator has the alpha strike of torps that really shone during Xenothreat, a couple of 'talis would wreck the Idris if people dropped it's shields.
    Cool. Poke me if another event like that comes along and maybe I'll find the time to reinstall. How well do the torps work in ship-to-ship fights? Only good against big slow capitals or are they a threat to similarly sized ships?
    Last edited by Steckersaurus; October 11 2021 at 07:14:53 PM.

I'm sticking with my trusty Freelancer and Hornet (the one with the turret). I don't want to pledge anymore towards development and besides, I still want something to work towards if the game gets released ever. Question though, do ship upgrades you buy in game persist after Unplanned Rapid Disassembly events? It happens with alarming regularity and often due to some game bug, so it'd be annoying to have to refit the ship everytime.

How well do the torps work in ship-to-ship fights? Only good against big slow capitals or are they a threat to similarly sized ships?

Sadly, inconsistent. I would say they're incredibly potent against ships of the Retaliator's size or larger but also only if those ships aren't going way faster than their rated speed and trying to dodge actively, and even then there's something like a one in five chance that you'll run into your own torp as it clips out of your bomb bay and if there's any kind of lag, the position of the bomb on the server and your ship might end up crossing and you bomb yourself.

However, if the ship is fighting someone else and you get a sneaky torp off against them, it's devastating. Largely a one shot.

How well do the torps work in ship-to-ship fights? Only good against big slow capitals or are they a threat to similarly sized ships?
    and even then there's something like a one in five chance that you'll run into your own torp as it clips out of your bomb bay and if there's any kind of lag, the position of the bomb on the server and your ship might end up crossing and you bomb yourself.
    The year is 2450 and the knowledge to make sure a missile has traveled a minimum distance before arming has been lost.

I'm sure they'll fix that at some point and it's probably a low priority right now, but if they don't at minimum put some kind of timer on the torp so it can't detonate in the bomb bay... that will be very disappointing.

Hell, just deactivating the hitbox for a couple seconds would do it. You might get some funky behavior where people watch the torp fly out past them in the cockpit, but that's preferable to getting blown up by your own ordinance.