hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24249505152
Results 1,021 to 1,033 of 1033

Thread: General MLP:FIM Discussion (characters, production, information, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nu11u5 View Post
    In new... news:

Season 8 has been confirmed for Spring 2018 with 26 episodes!
    Six Seven Eight seasons and a movie!

It'll be interesting to see what season 8 is like. I have to imagine they'll use Toon Boom for it, picking up after the movie rather than going back to Flash. In which case I wonder how much of the movie's higher-budget aesthetic will be retained...
    I know nothing about ToonBoom so I wonder if it offers similar object library functionality as Flash does, where everything is a 2D rigged model.

That was one of the great things about Flash - your animators could focus on creating new assets while the layout artists could use the existing library assets.

edit: Seems it does. I should have assumed something as popular as ToonBoom would be a modern animation suite.

https://www.toonboom.com/resources/t...ted-characters
    Last edited by Nu11u5; May 26 2017 at 04:53:34 AM.

Yeah, Toon Boom is Flash on steroids and oh so much more. When MLP started, Flash was the reasonable choice for a limited budget cartoon, and DHX/Hasbro already had significant investments in the workflow anyhow. However it doesn't scale up to movie quality (for lack of a better term), hence the movie is the catalyst to move to Toon Boom.

The problem the production will face is that the movie has an (obviously) higher animation budget, so even if they use the same tools and retain all of the assets, they can't afford to keep creating movie-level assets. So do you retain the movie's shaded look and other "fancier" graphics, or drop back down to a cheaper, more traditional look for season 8?
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

I don't think the main series really requires movie level details. It would also be pretty jarring transition.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

WoT EU: Mortalitis

It would take forever to rebuild the library of assets that they have in Flash.

It's an interesting thought but I don't see them moving the TV show to ToonBoom.

Flash as an animation tool is dying. No one is using it for new shows. So while you're not wrong about the library matters (and I'm not sure just how much of a Flash library can easily be imported into Toon Boom), if DHX is going to jump to a modern animation suite, staying with Toon Boom after the movie is the best opportunity. (Their current tool set is based around Flash 8, which was released circa 2005)

So when is this hiatus over, anyhow?

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    August 5th

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    If you need your fix of animation, I suggest the first 3 volumes of RWBY, followed by RWBY Chibi. All are available on YouTube by the creators.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalitis View Post
    I don't think the main series really requires movie level details. It would also be pretty jarring transition.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It is not needed, there is more talk about the it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    If you need your fix of animation, I suggest the first 3 volumes of RWBY, followed by RWBY Chibi. All are available on YouTube by the creators.
    I'm still recommending Steven Universe, Gravity Falls (now over), and Adventure Time. Those shows are the top of all-ages animation, imho.

Plenty of other MLP fans mention Star Vs The Forces of Evil as well. It looks ok from what little I've seen.

Never saw any of RWBY.

Never saw any of RWBY.
    Like mulp phim, it stars a group of strong, young female characters with distinct personalities. Ruby is a socially-awkward Rainbow Dash, Weiss is an arrogant Rarity, Blake is like Maude, and Yang is like AJ. Animation is a little rough at first, but it hits its stride soon after. The script and music are excellent.

Try it. You might like it.
    Last edited by Nordstern; July 17 2017 at 02:57:38 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

I know nothing about ToonBoom so I wonder if it offers similar object library functionality as Flash does, where everything is a 2D rigged model.

That was one of the great things about Flash - your animators could focus on creating new assets while the layout artists could use the existing library assets.

edit: Seems it does. I should have assumed something as popular as ToonBoom would be a modern animation suite.

https://www.toonboom.com/resources/t...ted-characters
    One does not support anything above 1080p. So.

Well, Quackers, that's good to know.