hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Verdict on ATX? ("Let's sperge about team quality so hydra can feel relevant" thread)

Quote Originally Posted by TeaDaze View Post

I know people are quick to point out when they miss stuff or say the wrong things and yes there are frequently facepalm moments, but that's kinda become a tournie feature Clearly they are not up to the standard of say SC2 pro-commentators but then again those guys commentate many many times a year and thus have plenty of time to learn their craft.
    Ha. No. They miss stuff as well. Like when Gumiho two GSL seasons ago was multitasking like a madman in TvZ. They couldn't keep up with him especially on Cloud Kingdom. The difficulty with Cloud kingdom is a very good example because the map can influence how well you can see things happening on the minimap. Eve Online is not conducive to seeing ship effects intuitively when you pull back enough to only see red and blue dots.

Quote Originally Posted by joe space View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Booley View Post
    LOOK AT ME HYDRABREAK SO MUCH BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE
    hydra and outbreak are better than you all at the AT. that's not really anything to do with me. relax.

btw, PL were super impressed with your press orbit skills and very much interested to know you "are not retart!!!"
    I didnt see them being clever enough to not all join the same corp and practice in the same wormhole.

Many congrats to VoC

Sent from my HTC Vision
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo
    The evolution of the meme. From shipspinning to meatspinning.

Quote Originally Posted by LoKiPP View Post
    (haven't seen the PL v. Darkside match yet, but I'm doubtful seeing it will change my opinion that PL was operating at a tier 2 level and Darkside was still operating at tier 1 level.)
    I know how you came to this conclusion (because you guys gave up gathering intel after being kicked) but its so, so wrong.
    i came to that conclusion by, you know, watching the tourney.
    Exxxactly. Its a shit conclusion and you should feel bad for it. Its horribly talking out of your ass.

Every setup we brought out in the tournament resulted in most of the teams rushing to copy or counter it. We influenced the meta like no other team.
    Last edited by LoKiPP; July 23 2012 at 06:49:05 AM.
    I'm sure it's frustrating to be sperging about how someone said "no, not doing that yet" - but we've had 7 years to learn to pace ourselves after killing a block. And I dare say -- we've gotten quite good at it.

Sorry if it doesn't suit the armchair generals who have never committed to anything for more than 2 months, but by now we've learned that we really don't give a shit about what you think v0v.

What did you mega elite ~tier 1~ tournament experts think of HUN and their Vargurs?

HUN's FC's Tengu was borked, apparently:

Guys, to clear things up: every module seemed to be online in the highs/mids/lows. The problem was: the subsystem's bonuses simply didn't apply: so basically it was flying a tengu with 50km range, 200dps, 0 gang bonuses. I had absolutely no feedback, that the subsystems were down. The only way to detect this error would have been: clicking show info on my launchers, multiply missile flight time with missile speed and see if its over 120+ km. Don't tell me, that you did that all on all your ships...

Now imagine you are the FC, you have to co-ordinate the fleet and in the middle of that system's start malfunctioning on your ship, targeting range as well, so I couldn't see hows to primary going. First I tried to load different missiles, shooting different targets, it didn't help. It took about 2 mins to realize what was wrong, that was way too much time to lose on a tourney. Basicly it was my fault, because the whole thing broke up my co-ordination, and I couldn't lead the fleet efficiently.
    HUN don't seem to be bothered about it and they don't think it changed the result, but it's still pretty lame that it happened and could have had a massive effect on the final match.

Quote Originally Posted by Resi View Post
    HUN's FC's Tengu was borked, apparently:

Guys, to clear things up: every module seemed to be online in the highs/mids/lows. The problem was: the subsystem's bonuses simply didn't apply: so basically it was flying a tengu with 50km range, 200dps, 0 gang bonuses. I had absolutely no feedback, that the subsystems were down. The only way to detect this error would have been: clicking show info on my launchers, multiply missile flight time with missile speed and see if its over 120+ km. Don't tell me, that you did that all on all your ships...

Now imagine you are the FC, you have to co-ordinate the fleet and in the middle of that system's start malfunctioning on your ship, targeting range as well, so I couldn't see hows to primary going. First I tried to load different missiles, shooting different targets, it didn't help. It took about 2 mins to realize what was wrong, that was way too much time to lose on a tourney. Basicly it was my fault, because the whole thing broke up my co-ordination, and I couldn't lead the fleet efficiently.
    HUN don't seem to be bothered about it and they don't think it changed the result, but it's still pretty lame that it happened and could have had a massive effect on the final match.
    Would be fun if CCP went mad about the last finals and then made this one a shambles themselves. 'Cause missing gang links are huge... not to speak of the confusion.

Otherwise, it was a great tournament. The presentation was good, most of the commentating was decent. No great changes required, except that - why would they always play a single advert clustered? Should make sure there is a certain minimum time between playing them.

Exxxactly. Its a shit conclusion and you should feel bad for it. Its horribly talking out of your ass.

Every setup we brought out in the tournament resulted in most of the teams rushing to copy or counter it. We influenced the meta like no other team.
    You want a medal or something?

Smuggo
    Though I only really was able to catch the finals weekend and a few previous matches via youtube I thought this was a really great tournament.

As others have said, the awesome new tournament UI, some very good commentating (even Michael Bolton got better as it went on) were really nice pluses.

Also, some really interesting setups and some great fighting from a lot of teams. Big congrats to both VoC and Hun on getting to the final and I think this proved many wrong that the tournament would be a pushover for PL without HydraBreak.

One thing though is that it has become even more obvious the ASB is a bit OP as it was so widely used in this tourney (basically any shield setup would be mad not to use ASBs). I think it will get nerfed soon TBH.

Well given ATX was actually a competitive event rather than a bullshit circle jerk it was massively superior to AT9 from the perspective of somebody watching!

The combat overlay was good, I liked the team spirit on display (mostly) the format seemed to work and there were some excellent matches. Hun vs PL, Agony vs Exodus, and Exodus vs Verge in particular. I don't feel the tournament lost anything in the absence of last years metagame champions really.

It has become crazy serious business though in the expense and effort stakes putting a team together. I'd like CCP to look at some options for widening the initial qualification phase and losing the sign-up expenses (maybe making it more like the FA cup and less like the World Cup in format.) The no-hoper matches in the last day of the group stage and the potential metagame crap amongst already qualified winners could still be a problem there in the future.)

All in all though good stuff.

Nothing ever burns down by itself

Donor
    Anyone else besides me think that the studio format is a bit stale for post-match stuff?

I don't know if it's the stilted conversation, or whether or not I'm expecting too much from people talking about Eve, or too much from people who aren't professional pundits, but something just doesn't sit right. Unfortunately I also can't think of an alternative - an in-your-face faux-ESPN "let's take a look at a day in the life of pongo" vignette would probably be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Constantine View Post
    The combat overlay was good, I liked the team spirit on display (mostly) the format seemed to work and there were some excellent matches. Hun vs PL, Agony vs Exodus, and Exodus vs Verge in particular. I don't feel the tournament lost anything in the absence of last years metagame champions really.
    Not mentioning Rote Kapelle VS PL makes you look silly, that was the star match of the tourney no matter what. And the tourney lost a lot by not having Hydra/Outbreak, I would've literally paid to see Hydra/OB VS Verge/PL/Rote/Hun.

Tl;dr: shut up.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

This was the best tournament I've seen so far (watching since 2006). The one negative point were the broken streams. Everything else has really improved. Yes, there are things that can be tweaked to even get better. But overall CCP did an impressive job this year ... and this comes from a bittervet who ragequited over Incaran/DevGate/MonocleGate. I even was tempted to reactivate my account for some moments while watching AT. But I was able to resist.

I think it was overall really fun to watch. Streaming troubles were annoying, as were problems with the sound mixing (as mentioned already dubstep adds playing at 200% volume is not the way to go) but to CCPs credit final days went off rather smoothly. They do need to fix the tourneymode cause D7 was partially a yawnfest but listening to the final day it seems CCP is already aware of that. I think they need to reconsider the point costs for t1 cruisers and maybe hacs cause those are the shiptypes we really didn't see at all and the reason for that is imho the relative costs of T1 BCs and Commandships respectively. Also watching Sleipnir setups got a bit boring at one point (mostly the group stages) but not sure what to do about it, given they are per se a strong ship that flourishes in the tourney environment, especially with ASBs now availible as well.
    Think the new UI was a giant step forward and generally the commentating was good (even MBIII was pretty decent in the end). You can't really fault them for not being as good as professional Lol/SC2 shoutcasters who make their living out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Not mentioning Rote Kapelle VS PL makes you look silly, that was the star match of the tourney no matter what. And the tourney lost a lot by not having Hydra/Outbreak, I would've literally paid to see Hydra/OB VS Verge/PL/Rote/Hun.

Tl;dr: shut up.
    You have a right to your opinion but not to be a wanker about it. The Rote vs PL match was indeed a good match, but I personally found the Hun vs PL to be more impressive because it took the Vargur team that everyone (myself included) expected to be butchered by the PL jam team and won anyway. I was astonished by that result. Agony vs Exodus was another could go either way nail-biting match that showed one genuinely innovative approach to the tournament (probably the only one) just failing marginally to succeed by the last minute reversals. And Exodus and Verge was a battle of the dps brutality at the semis that also came down at the end to an excellent logistics save from the verge pilot that had everyone on the edge of their seats. (also its no surprise all these fights were elimination fights rather than group fights - reality of the situation is they tend to be more exciting because one of the teams will be knocked out for sure.)

I named my 3 favorite matches - its a shame if you are butthurt that the Rote vs PL was not one of those three but :shrug really: opinions differ, get used it it.

On Outbreak/Hydra - sorry but you are literally retarded. They ruined the last tourney with their bullshit and frankly the format is 100x better without them.
    Last edited by Jade Constantine; July 23 2012 at 02:11:43 PM.

Nothing ever burns down by itself

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Not mentioning Rote Kapelle VS PL makes you look silly, that was the star match of the tourney no matter what.
    no it wasn't

Posting to say I also missed hydra / outbreak this year, but over all (except d7 and streaming) this was a good tourney

(haven't seen the PL v. Darkside match yet, but I'm doubtful seeing it will change my opinion that PL was operating at a tier 2 level and Darkside was still operating at tier 1 level.)
    I know how you came to this conclusion (because you guys gave up gathering intel after being kicked) but its so, so wrong.
    i came to that conclusion by, you know, watching the tourney.

no doubt. people did copy PL setups, because PL is PL. but those setups weren't that great. and the piloting was even less great.

you know, now that i think on it more, maybe you were already tier 2 last year. i think we all just gave your poor performance (A and B teams) the benefit of the doubt because we knew hydra was out-meta'ing you at every step. but maybe you had just already fallen off. vOv.

Can you plus rep people using tapatalk?

tapatalk

ATX was probably the best tourney I have seen, watched the last 3 live seen others via YouTube. No doubt there would have been better matches if Hydra/Outbreak where there obvzs more good teams should = better matches that being said they were not missed this tournament & plenty of teams stepped up to the mark. So congrats to VoC on their win.
    You sicken me

On Outbreak/Hydra - sorry but you are literally retarded. They ruined the last tourney with their bullshit and frankly the format is 100x better without them.
    They ruined the final but apart from that they definitely added quality spaceship pewpew to the mix.

As I said in my earlier post, I wasn't thrilled about CCP's decision to boot both teams from the tourney but they were kinda asking for it with the shit they dumped on CCP with last year's final fuckup and gave them the necessary excuse to do so, so fair enough imo and hoping that they'll be back next year (without silly finals shenanigans).