hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 394 of 402 FirstFirst ... 294344384391392393394395396397 ... LastLast
Results 7,861 to 7,880 of 8032

Thread: The TV Thread

Finished Snowpiercer. Alright so everything is heavy handed allegory like in the movies, I get it. But what the hell is the second train supposed to be, aliens?

I can see that running away from itself real fast, if they get a second season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Didn't care for the first episode of Lovecraft Country. All very contrived and trying very hard. HPL would be turning in his grave over the heavy racial messaging, lol.
    Wasn't he a notorious racist? Makes it a bit ironic tbh

If it's actually good and not just trying to score woke points I don't really see what the problem with having black leads is.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Didn't care for the first episode of Lovecraft Country. All very contrived and trying very hard. HPL would be turning in his grave over the heavy racial messaging, lol.

If it's actually good and not just trying to score woke points I don't really see what the problem with having black leads is.
    His work is overtly racist, yeah. Not a central theme in of itself but the only non-white characters are exclusively demonised, you could argue his whole body of work is xenophobia in the literal sense.

Personally I think it's him being white man writing about the terrors of the unknown and that spilling into the human cast.

He never attributes negative connotations because they're Oriental or black, but all the Oriental or black people are described in a negative manner.

Racist, yes. Doubt he was a full on frothing supremacist though, so there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

HPL is in the same problematic sphere as, say, Jules Verne. White xenophobe would probably have been the best description.

Any of you fucks touch Verne and i'm invading Belarus.

inb4 do it faggot

Let him turm in his grave, he was a pretty fucking racist dude, having more than just writing issues on it. Also yes it's cool stuff but honoring the subject material and not saying any racist shit isn't a huge surprise to anyone is it?

Also I mean, most of Lovecraft is "a huge scary monster you will never see because it's so scary and sleepy and I cannot describe it because it is SO SCARY!"

He was very very racist in real life, which I believe was one of the reason Jordan Peele thought it was interesting to deconstruct his work with a black cast.

I mean, the dude was notoriously opinionated about how "the black man was the biological inferior to the white man, as well as the mongolian race". He even wrote a poem iirc about "the creation of niggers" which was pretty oof, even considering the times he lived in.

He also had a cat named Niggerman.

I mean, come the fuck on.

Don't worry he hated other white people too, specifically Irish

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/t...ster-1.4326744

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Let him turm in his grave, he was a pretty fucking racist dude, having more than just writing issues on it. Also yes it's cool stuff but honoring the subject material and not saying any racist shit isn't a huge surprise to anyone is it?

Also I mean, most of Lovecraft is "a huge scary monster you will never see because it's so scary and sleepy and I cannot describe it because it is SO SCARY!"
    This is a pretty smoothbrain take that ignores and downplays the absolutely gigantic influence his work has had on the horror and fantasy genres. He's easily up there with Tolkien in terms of his legacy.
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; August 24 2020 at 12:09:35 PM.

Just call your friendly repairer of reputations: http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-st...RepaRepu.shtml

(Chambers was perhaps even more a product of his time than Lovecraft when it came to racism..)

Don't worry he hated other white people too, specifically Irish

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/t...ster-1.4326744

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post

This is a pretty smoothbrain take that ignores and downplays the absolutely gigantic influence his work has had on the horror and fantasy genres. He's easily up there with Tolkien in terms of his legacy.
    Italians too iirc. he was the very definition of a WASP that hated everybody and everything lol

Sure, but I didn't really think it was good. For most the episode, white people are the real monsters.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Sure, but I didn't really think it was good. For most the episode, white people are the real monsters.
    Zeitgeist, my man.

The real monsters were the friends we made along the way.

Or hold on, its probably Venec.

Lovecraft would have posted on FHC

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Finished Snowpiercer. Alright so everything is heavy handed allegory like in the movies, I get it. But what the hell is the second train supposed to be, aliens?

I can see that running away from itself real fast, if they get a second season.
    Snowpeircer is a reimaginin of Charlie and the Chocolate factory, or possibly even a direct sequel set in the same universe.

A poem, by HP Lovecraft

Spoiler:

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
    In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
    The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
    Yet were they too remote from humankind.
    To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
    Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
    A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
    Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

Sounds like an absolute fucking whopper tbh.

Weirdly though, one ofthe few master race twatsw who actually has a chin.

that is a very, er, lovecraftian chin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    HPL is in the same problematic sphere as, say, Jules Verne. White xenophobe would probably have been the best description.
    HP Lovecraft - His Racism in Context

Finished the 2nd season of The Umbrella Academy.

Without having rewatched tthe 1st one, I found the 2nd to be the better one. Perhaps because in this season Klaus wasn't that much/so long that annoying asshole he was in the 1st one*). I personally find that they could have done with 1 or 2 episodes less this time. Quite a couple of passages - especially in the later episodes - felt like time sinks, not contributing much to the plot/development. But overall an enjoyable watch.

*)
      Spoiler:

And somehow he's also the only one who didn't use his powers at all (compared to the 1st season), the Dan-is-there-thing excempted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Finished the 2nd season of The Umbrella Academy.

Without having rewatched tthe 1st one, I found the 2nd to be the better one. Perhaps because in this season Klaus wasn't that much/so long that annoying asshole he was in the 1st one*). I personally find that they could have done with 1 or 2 episodes less this time. Quite a couple of passages - especially in the later episodes - felt like time sinks, not contributing much to the plot/development. But overall an enjoyable watch.

*)
      Spoiler:

And somehow he's also the only one who didn't use his powers at all (compared to the 1st season), the Dan-is-there-thing excempted.
    Yeah but in the 1st you're supposed to think they're all annoying. Then they grow on you at the end

It took 2 seasons for me to like the Knife Manchild