hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 390 of 398 FirstFirst ... 290340380387388389390391392393 ... LastLast
Results 7,781 to 7,800 of 7951

Thread: The TV Thread

Snowpiercer Season 1 was p good.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Snowpiercer Season 1 was p good.
    c

I enjoyed it. Although it's one of these series where the setting is more interesting than the plot and most of the characters.

It really made me really want a Frostpunk TV show.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I know it's been mentioned before, but in case there are more muppets out there who have missed Fauda, you need to see it. It's been in my "We think you will like this based on your viewing history" list a long time, but finally got around to it yesterday. Four episodes in now, and I'm hooked. Fauda Fauda!

Quote Originally Posted by Roam View Post
    From the 3, Doom Patrol is actually good. Well written, batshit insane (Preacher levels of insanity, if not more so), interesting character and an overarching plot. Also Brendan Fraser, Timothy Dalton and Alan Tudyk.

Umbrella Academy is....well, it's clearly the bigger budget show, but by god does it have a lot of flaws. Enjoyable, but at times a little "urgh, come on".

Titans tries very hard to be edgy and I consider to be the more popcorn show out of the three. It's similar to Arrow and Flash imo. It's not...completely terrible, but it's a "turn off your brain and just watch pretty people beat stuff up with CGI and occasionally have high school drama."
    I've watched the occassional Flash or Arrow episode on TV, but haven't really watched both shows, so I can't compare them to Titans.

But interestingly enough as for "popcorn-ranking", I'd go the opposite of you with these. For whatever reason, Titans to me feels like the darkest of the 3, whereas Doom Patrol had the most "relieve bits" in it, which to me didn't make it a dark series.

This is not to say I'm right or you're wrong, just to note an interesting difference in perception.

I know I'm late to the game but what is Dark like? Netflix thinks I'll like it.

As a general rule, whenever there's a TV series made after a comic strip, you're better off reading the original comic strip. The TV shows are getting better with time and truer to the original, but I'd always recommend reading the comic first and then watch the TV show.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    As a general rule, whenever there's a TV series made after a comic strip, you're better off reading the original comic strip. The TV shows are getting better with time and truer to the original, but I'd always recommend reading the comic first and then watch the TV show.
    Are you sure? I greatly enjoyed The Boys, but from what I have heard of the comics, they toned down the crazyness just enough for the tv version to make it palatable.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    I know I'm late to the game but what is Dark like? Netflix thinks I'll like it.
    Watch it with German, no dubbing, and prepare to watch it when you want to have it and only it on. Other than that it was my favorite TV series in the past few years, really loved it and though at times things seem a bit over the top, the whole show was just a great experience. Just go for it, Netflix is right.

I've read the first two pages and just closed it.

The Old Guard, not bad but not great either. Would recommend still as long as you dont have high expectations.
    Has some good action but bit to much exposition, and the Villain (Harry Melling)is really really bad.

With that ending hard to know if they are looking at a TV series, highlander style or just more follow up movies. Must have been cheap to produce other than Charlize Therons salary. Production values looked way less than say Gangs of London.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roam View Post
    From the 3, Doom Patrol is actually good. Well written, batshit insane (Preacher levels of insanity, if not more so), interesting character and an overarching plot. Also Brendan Fraser, Timothy Dalton and Alan Tudyk.

Umbrella Academy is....well, it's clearly the bigger budget show, but by god does it have a lot of flaws. Enjoyable, but at times a little "urgh, come on".

Titans tries very hard to be edgy and I consider to be the more popcorn show out of the three. It's similar to Arrow and Flash imo. It's not...completely terrible, but it's a "turn off your brain and just watch pretty people beat stuff up with CGI and occasionally have high school drama."
    I've watched the occassional Flash or Arrow episode on TV, but haven't really watched both shows, so I can't compare them to Titans.

But interestingly enough as for "popcorn-ranking", I'd go the opposite of you with these. For whatever reason, Titans to me feels like the darkest of the 3, whereas Doom Patrol had the most "relieve bits" in it, which to me didn't make it a dark series.

This is not to say I'm right or you're wrong, just to note an interesting difference in perception.
    You generally don't want your dark series you be always entirely dark or it gets silly and dour.

Some of the darkest plot lines in media around have some relief now and then to not make it a chore to consume.

At least that's the way I see it.

Sure there are notable exceptions but I find a mix works best and makes shit stand out more with the right timing and ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmoore View Post
    The Old Guard, not bad but not great either. Would recommend still as long as you dont have high expectations.
    Has some good action but bit to much exposition, and the Villain (Harry Melling)is really really bad.

With that ending hard to know if they are looking at a TV series, highlander style or just more follow up movies. Must have been cheap to produce other than Charlize Therons salary. Production values looked way less than say Gangs of London.
    Movie trilogy apparently
    https://www.slashfilm.com/the-old-gu...ogy-interview/

Fully agree with your characterisation of the film

The Old Guard is awful. I'm amazed it's getting the ratings it is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmoore View Post

Movie trilogy apparently
    https://www.slashfilm.com/the-old-gu...ogy-interview/

Fully agree with your characterisation of the film
    Agreed on all points, my first thought was that it might end up in the same territory as Underworld. Which I have enjoyed over the years so not necessarily a bad thing, it sure has fans. And Kate Beckinsale, which helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Brave new world is out, based on the Book.
    It's got to be awful...

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Brave new world is out, based on the Book.
    It's got to be awful...
    Half a gramme for half a holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Sasko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    Are you sure? I greatly enjoyed The Boys, but from what I have heard of the comics, they toned down the crazyness just enough for the tv version to make it palatable.
    Well yeah, if you want a more palatable TV version, then the more palatable TV version is best, but you'll miss out on some of the more insane and/or profound stuff in the original material that isn't limited by being "realistic". Comics as a medium allow for being more out there to drive the point home.

Probably the best example is watching any of the films made on Alan Moore's comics. I'd put those original comics into mandatory reading in schools tbh.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    My dad has complained a lot about TV having crappy programming. And for years, I have encouraged him to try Netflix. Well, we finally did that today. He didn't like anything in the default list, but he was a little more interested in my list.

He decided to try The Witcher. And he liked it! Finally, after years of him turning his nose up at my preferences, we found something we both like! \o/
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    My dad has complained a lot about TV having crappy programming. And for years, I have encouraged him to try Netflix. Well, we finally did that today. He didn't like anything in the default list, but he was a little more interested in my list.

He decided to try The Witcher. And he liked it! Finally, after years of him turning his nose up at my preferences, we found something we both like! \o/
    He should really enjoy exploring the 1000000 things on there and finding the 10 he loves.