hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 224 of 225 FirstFirst ... 124174214221222223224225 LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,480 of 4483

Thread: I suck at job interviews/I hate my job and everyone sucks[MEGATHREAD?]

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Just got a job offer as well with a contract that should run up to the start of any courses I get onto. Not particularly thrilled to be working in marketing again but it stops me haemorrhaging money at least
    Congratz dude!

It's with the first marketing company I worked at. Hopefully this time I won't sleep with any of them.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    I'm surprised that you guys are surprised that Keckers worked/works in marketing. I thought y'all knew?

I mean it was venture capital related even.

Tapapapatalk
    Of course I knew, it just doesn't get old to tweak his nips about it :P

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    "Guys I totally accidentally became an arch scion of capitalism's materialist fervour, but I promise I will hate it all the way to the bank"
    It is possible to be a capitalist and set aside a portion of what you make to finance a worker revolution disruptive start-up.
    A capitalist? Absolutely. A Marketeer? Lolno

It's with the first marketing company I worked at. Hopefully this time I won't sleep with any of them.
    Not with THAT attitude you won't.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

"Guys I totally accidentally became an arch scion of capitalism's materialist fervour, but I promise I will hate it all the way to the bank"
    I thought that it is common knowledge by now that it's easier to destroy the system from within than from the outside. Look no further than the last U.S. president or the last few U.K. PMs.

Think of it not as "sleeping with them", but "diverting their surplus labor towards a personal pursuit, thus depriving their evil capitalist overlords of their misbegotten exploitive profits".

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I thought that it is common knowledge by now that it's easier to destroy the system from within than from the outside. Look no further than the last U.S. president or the last few U.K. PMs.
    You think they are destroying capitalism? Lmao, they only made big capital stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    You think they are destroying capitalism? Lmao, they only made big capital stronger.
    I wasn't talking about capitalism specifically although you could make an argument for that with the U.K. leaving the EU, which is and will even become more an economical blowback.

And Trump destroyed a very important part of democracy (aka "the system") in the U.S.: trust! Being EVE veterans here, we all know how hard it is to gain (or recover) and how easy to lose. And it's not like the U.S. americans highly trusted their (federal) institutions to begin with.

He didn't want that presidency anyway.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

I have a minor dilemma.

I was offered a job today - it is not a job I'm particularly excited about, it's frankly below my skill level, but it is employment and having been unemployed for six months (with a gross misconduct dismissal on my record; long story that some of you know about), I'm not in a position to say no. It's also although the actual position is below my skill level something new, so I can gain more experience from it.

At the same time, I've been lined up for an interview for a position which is at my skill level and am much more interested in - it's better hours, pay is comparable, commute is comparable. I don't yet have an interview date for that, just a confirmation from the recruiter that I'm in the interview pool.

The position I was offered today won't start for at least 4 weeks, because I have to pass a DBS check and a few other bits and pieces for it. I don't yet have a start date because it's dependent on that, but I'm reliably informed it WON'T start for at least 4 weeks.

Complicating the issue is that I did use a contact to get the interview for this role - it was supposed to be an internal only role, but because I still know some people at the company (I worked there for years), I heard about it and was able to get in contact and ask if I could be considered.

My dilemma is this: if I'm offered an interview for the second role and if I'm successful, I fully intend to take the second role. It's a better fit for me, the hours are much better, I would be able to hit the ground running in this role. But I can't help but feel this is what's known in bird culture as a dick move, ESPECIALLY since I used a contact to get the interview for the role I've been offered.

I've never been in this position before so I have no idea what the appropriate path is - anyone got any advice to share?
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

It is a bit of a dick move. You have been unemployed for half a year. You get one free dick move to compensate for that. Do it. Particularly since it is not certain whether you will actually enter dick move territory (interview pool does not equal getting a job).

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    progress with both, see what options you have after the interview for the second. if you get it, take it and leave the other, it's just a job at the end of the day

Progress with both. Then do what is best for you.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Loyalty to a company you don't work for yet is silly. Working in a place you don't want to work will just make you miserable. Being miserable for years because you didn't want to make them just hire someone else internal that they probably already had an idea about is silly. Take the job you want, be happy m8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

It's his mate who got him the interview he doesn't want to fuck off, which is completely natural.

Progress with both, and figure out which one benefits you the most in 2-4 years.
    meh

If it's your mate who got you the interview I'm sure he'd be happy to see you take another job which suits you better.

It is mostly the fact that I used a contact to get the interview - he's a good contact to have and I'm not sure I want to burn him. Not really a mate, just someone I worked with previously, but someone quite senior.

I think I've internally given myself a timeline of two weeks for the other company to make an offer - I've applied with them before and their recruitment process moves slowly, so it's entirely possible I won't even have the interview before my start date.

That said, the DBS process could drag on (as it tends to do), in which case I've got more time on my hands.

Jobs eh? Like buses.

Not sure if this is a thing elsewhere, but in Germany there's a trial period (typically 3 months) for about every new job you take. Within that period, both employee and employer may cancel the contract without the need to give a specfic reason.

While most of the time that plays in the hands of the employer, it's situations like yours that makes it also valuable for an employee. So maybe that is a possibility.

Not sure if this is a thing elsewhere, but in Germany there's a trial period (typically 3 months) for about every new job you take. Within that period, both employee and employer may cancel the contract without the need to give a specfic reason.

While most of the time that plays in the hands of the employer, it's situations like yours that makes it also valuable for an employee. So maybe that is a possibility.
    I was thinking of that. My sister was in a similar situation. Started the safe job, quite when the better one came around and the three months weren't over yet.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget