hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 206 of 214 FirstFirst ... 106156196203204205206207208209 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,120 of 4269

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    3050ti when
    Just like the 2050: never.

If you're lucky, they'll release a 2660. That is if they keep their scheme from the last generation.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    3050ti when
    Just like the 2050: never.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia....480835.0.html

16 series was the entry-level Turing. They couldn't name it RTX because it had no tensor cores while this will.
    Last edited by RazoR; September 18 2020 at 05:50:29 AM.

3050ti when
    Easter
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

I'm building a new PC right now and I need something in the next couple of months.

I guess I will try to snag a 3070. The 3080 was overkill for me anyway as I don't currently have a 4k monitor

It will be interesting to see if the 3070 has the same relative lack of efficiency at 1440p vs 4k as the 3080, or if Nvidia have rebalanced it somehow.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the 3070 has the same relative lack of efficiency at 1440p vs 4k as the 3080, or if Nvidia have rebalanced it somehow.
    It will. It's caused by not increasing clocks but adding cores instead. Performance gap narrows the lower resolution gets. If you want low res, high fps you will love what Big Navi is going to bring to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    It will. It's caused by not increasing clocks but adding cores instead. Performance gap narrows the lower resolution gets. If you want low res, high fps you will love what Big Navi is going to bring to the table.
    Well at dual 1440p idk if my set up qualifies as "low res" just yet

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Well at dual 1440p idk if my set up qualifies as "low res" just yet
    It's a simple pixel proportion. Do the multiplication and extrapolate from the chart you' re closest to.

Well as I said, it's moot until we see benchmarks. Extrapolation is all very well. Also I'm not buying anything until I see what AMD are bringing to the table, and at what price.

What Video Card Should I Buy?

Well, the 3070 is using the GA-104, and it has about 43 % less FP16 cores and 40 % less FP32 cores, so the ratio between the FP16 and FP32 is about the same.

That being said, we're getting a high-end card that has 33 % better cost pr FPS, and on average 50 % better performance at 1440P vs. a 2080 (and around 50 % lower cost pr FPS and 30 % better performance than a 2080 Ti). Could it be better? Sure - as one of the videos mention, that 10gb VRAM has me a bit worried for 4K gaming, but it's still a pretty sweet deal. Given what's coming though, I think the smart move is to let the scalpers and early adopters fight over the stock that is there, and then see what happens post Big Navi launch.
    Last edited by morpheps; September 20 2020 at 05:55:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Given what's coming though, I think the smart move is to let the scalpers and early adopters fight over the stock that is there, and then see what happens post Big Navi launch.
    100% agreed, specially with all the "maybe you'll want to see what's coming, I've signed an NDA so I can't say anything but I'd wait before you commit *wink wink nudge nudge*" style comments from the various tech-tubers.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Given what's coming though, I think the smart move is to let the scalpers and early adopters fight over the stock that is there, and then see what happens post Big Navi launch.
    100% agreed, specially with all the "maybe you'll want to see what's coming, I've signed an NDA so I can't say anything but I'd wait before you commit *wink wink nudge nudge*" style comments from the various tech-tubers.
    I don't even expect AMD to blow Nvidia out of the water, it's just that when all the cards are out and reviews have been published and maybe we even have one or two price cuts and/or reaction cards released shortly after is when you can make an informed decision. Right now you simply can't. So fully agree.

I doubt they'll manage to beat a 3080, but if they can be on par with a 3070 and with lower TDP, that's going to be a sell for a lot of people. Plus, Nvidia reacting to Big Navi with either price cuts and/or Ti-versions will be good for the consumers. Currently rocking a 1080 Ti on a UWD-screen (100hz 3440x1440), not sure I need all that much more power. I am oogling the 49" Odyessy G9 from Samsung though, and that is 5120x1440 @240 Hz, but requires oomph in the range of a 3090 to run it, so I'll think I'll just keep my stuff for another generation, or maybe spring for a 3070 or AMD.

Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

That was rather underwhelming. I mean, sure, poke fun at the 8K claim, but nobody believed that anyway. That it’s only 8-10% faster than a 3080 says a lot though. Historically the Titan cards have been bad value, but this isn’t really a Titan. Be interesting to see just how CPU-limited they are. Going from the specs alone, one would expect more performance.
    Last edited by morpheps; September 24 2020 at 05:47:22 PM.

That was rather underwhelming. I mean, sure, like fun at the 8K claim, but nobody believed that anyway. That it’s only 8-10% faster than a 3080 says a lot though. Historically the Titan cards have been bad value, but this isn’t really a Titan. Be interesting to see just how CPU-limited they are. Going from the specs alone, one would expect more performance.
    Nvidia seem to present it as one though...

With the 3080ti on the horizon, where will it land in the 3080-3090 line up?
    Usually the TI's got 10+ % in performance over the x80s.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

That was rather underwhelming. I mean, sure, like fun at the 8K claim, but nobody believed that anyway. That it’s only 8-10% faster than a 3080 says a lot though. Historically the Titan cards have been bad value, but this isn’t really a Titan. Be interesting to see just how CPU-limited they are. Going from the specs alone, one would expect more performance.
    Nvidia seem to present it as one though...
    Of course they do, but 30 FPS? It's a joke. 4K have been around for a while now, and we're just about getting cards that can handle stable 60+ FPS at higher settings.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    The 3090 has 20 % more Cuda-cores than the 3080, and 14 gb more VRAM. My guess is we're going to see a modest bump in cores, and more VRAM, guessing 16 GB. As for performance, there's not a whole lot of room, so expect a modest increase, but at 4K mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    That probably won't be the case this time unless Nvidia manages to pull off an insane clock increase. The 3090 is the biggest chip this generation and the Ti's will only increase Vram this time around by the looks of it.

Must admit I was surprised by the lackluster improvement of the 3090. When was the last time AMD had a product within 20% of Nvidias Halo product? I think they stand a good chance of making that this time around.