hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 204 of 214 FirstFirst ... 104154194201202203204205206207 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,080 of 4269

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    A 300W+ aircooled card cannot be the quietest. Even if you live in DampColdRainland and need all the dry heat you can get for 10 months of the year, like me, and don't care about your electricity bills, unlike me, TDP matters.

People bagged on the Vega cards for being spaceheaters, and rightly so.
    Yup, and Nvidia knows it. No matter how much Jensen smiles now for the camera few months ago they were shitting bricks if chineese 4chans are to be believed.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    A 300W+ aircooled card cannot be the quietest. Even if you live in DampColdRainland and need all the dry heat you can get for 10 months of the year, like me, and don't care about your electricity bills, unlike me, TDP matters.

People bagged on the Vega cards for being spaceheaters, and rightly so.
    Yup, and Nvidia knows it. No matter how much Jensen smiles now for the camera few months ago they were shitting bricks if chineese 4chans are to be believed.
    Never underestimate AMD gpu divisions ability to be uinderresourced, underfunded and overconfident in the new wank product they have to shill, tbh

We live in hope

Yeah the wallet-moths can sit right the fuck back down until I see what the alternatives are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

- soon
    This may be a problem thinking about it.
    AMD need to show their hand "very soon", even if it's "this is what you get, in November" as like Buying Cisco, nobody is going to lose out getting at least a 3070.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    - soon
    This may be a problem thinking about it.
    AMD need to show their hand "very soon", even if it's "this is what you get, in November" as like Buying Cisco, nobody is going to lose out getting at least a 3070.
    Could be...Or, imagine because it's a new manufacturing process for nvidia (tweaked Samsung 8nm) it's also really shit. I mean really shit. Low yields. A lot of cards dying due to thermals even with this beefy cooling thanks to that TDP, RMA nightmares all around. Fermi memes resurrected by people who weren't even literate when those cards came out. Wait at least few weeks and see how things are going to unfold. It's going to be really exciting next few months. Also Ti versions of above are coming, Lenovo fucked up and already listed them in their prebuilt desktops. If you want to stick with team green, wait for those at least. Teething problems should be gone by that time.
    Last edited by rufuske; September 3 2020 at 05:30:59 PM.

Yeah you are right, i need to be a bit more patient. I've been sitting on a GFX purchase for 2 months now and "want a new one now" to play Death Stranding / Control / Exodus at mental settings. But can probably wait.

But still. gief.

wait isn't it still 12-14nm ?

No, there's a whole story here of how nvidia wanted to force TSMC into better deal using rumor of going to Samsung 5nm but it fell through. Back at Samsung Jensen found out that their 5nm is even worse than Intel's 7nm, completely broken, unsustainable yields. So they quickly scaled the dies up by making tweaks to old Samsung 8nm, that's why those chips are so massive and have such huge TDP, they were never supposed to use such low density process. I have a feeling we will hear a lot of complaints from people that don't have dust filters or never open their pcs to do some cleaning. Or from places where ambient temperature goes above 30C. It's all happening because they were literally panicking about Big Navi but I've heard last few months they calmed down a bit. 3090 also isn't a card they expect anyone to buy, it's supposed to secure them bragging rights about still having fastest card available on the market.
    Last edited by rufuske; September 3 2020 at 08:31:45 PM.

No, there's a whole story here of how nvidia wanted to force TSMC into better deal using rumor of going to Samsung 5nm but it fell through. Back at Samsung Jensen found out that their 5nm is even worse than Intel's 7nm, completely broken, unsustainable yields. So they quickly scaled the dies up by making tweaks to old Samsung 8nm, that's why those chips are so massive and have such huge TDP, they were never supposed to use such low density process. I have a feeling we will hear a lot of complaints from people that don't have dust filters or never open their pcs to do some cleaning. Or from places where ambient temperature goes above 30C. It's all happening because they were literally panicking about Big Navi but I've heard last few months they calmed down a bit. 3090 also isn't a card they expect anyone to buy, it's supposed to secure them bragging rights about still having fastest card available on the market.
    fair enough.
    i'll do my best to wait a month for AMD, but still, they have to start showing cards soon.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Half tdp for comparable performance you say? Colour me interested.
    Are we looking at a return to the days of "85% of the performance for half the price"?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

What are the sales volumes for different card tiers each release? Is that data ever released?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Spoiler:

OUCH

I watched that last video while on a Zoom call. Had to develop "camera issues" because I was laughing so hard.

...FWIW, MS's PowerToys is testing a conference feature so you can mute simple webcam sound & video without having to kill the feeds and fully restart the connections.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; September 5 2020 at 11:38:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

What? You just hit the camera button on Zoom, and then later when your "issues" is fixed, you hit it again. This is becoming standard etiquette for when you cannot into showing your face in meetings that are hella boring and should've been an e-mail.

...Implying I've ever used Zoom...
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Well, the principle is the same for Teams, havenít used Discord or Slack for video, but Iím fairly certain the all work in a similar way.

Yep, sounds very standard, the new bit being you can do video and audio in one butan, rather than one each.
    One each has been standard on all such apps I've used for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush
    idiotic posts out of context

Watch this and pay close attention to the part where he puts it in the case. It's gonna cause a lot of headaches to NH-D15 and beefy aio owners.

https://youtu.be/RYV4muLkbss

Summary, and remember this is a "leak" with no external confirmation:

RDNA 2 60% improved perf/w with most of that from architecture, not process

256 bit bus* with 128mb of 'infinity cache' to make up for lack of bandwidth

No HBM on consumer cards

Clocks speeds up to the 'console level', ie implies 2.3ghz

80CUs for top SKU

6700 - 3070 level

6800 - around 3080

6900 - faster than 3080 and may 'nip at the heels' of the 3090

AMD considered undercutting NV but may price the same

AMD are 'very competitive, this is not Vega 64'
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.