hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 203 of 211 FirstFirst ... 103153193200201202203204205206 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,060 of 4212

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

I don't think AMD will be able to compete with a 3070, it's slightly outperforming a 2080ti.
    They can probably beat the 3060, and even that is an accomplishment.

But still, do you still want an AMD at 3060+ performance considering how shit their drivers and software is still?
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

It's extremely unlikely that AMD are going to bring out anything that can challenge the 3090 this time around, but I think it's reasonable to infer that Nvidia think that the 3070 & 3080 are going to have to face some actual competition.
    Well, let's face it; at that price-point, and custom versions seems to be $100-200 higher, it's not really a card for the masses, so doubt it'll matter much. As of the July Steam Hardware Survey (yes, yes - I know, but it's still the closest thing we have) a meager 0.88 % used a 2080 Ti, and that is 2 years down. Combined, the 2070 and 2070 Supers have around 3,5 %, and the 2080 0,96 %. Let's bunch that together and say that the high-end 2000-series accounts for maybe 6 % of the Steam users.

And there's a reason for this; 65% game at 1080P. Buying a 3070 might be justifiable if you want to go > 100 FPS, ultra quality and RT - but the other cards will just be bragging rights. Given that a lot of the lower end resolutions are probably laptops, for the desktop market, the share that game at 1080P is probably even higher.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    I don't think AMD will be able to compete with a 3070, it's slightly outperforming a 2080ti.
    We'll see, given Nvidias pricing they certainly are a bit worried. Rumous/leaks don't have the Navi 21 that far behind a 3070, and if it has 12gb VRAM; that helps a bit at higher resolutions. The performance per watt will probably be imporant for some.

But still, do you still want an AMD at 3060+ performance considering how shit their drivers and software is still?
    I haven't owned a AMD card since they were called ATI, but isn't this mainly an oft repeated myth from yonder days?

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post

It's extremely unlikely that AMD are going to bring out anything that can challenge the 3090 this time around, but I think it's reasonable to infer that Nvidia think that the 3070 & 3080 are going to have to face some actual competition.
    Well, let's face it; at that price-point, and custom versions seems to be $100-200 higher, it's not really a card for the masses, so doubt it'll matter much. As of the July Steam Hardware Survey (yes, yes - I know, but it's still the closest thing we have) a meager 0.88 % used a 2080 Ti, and that is 2 years down. Combined, the 2070 and 2070 Supers have around 3,5 %, and the 2080 0,96 %. Let's bunch that together and say that the high-end 2000-series accounts for maybe 6 % of the Steam users.

And there's a reason for this; 65% game at 1080P. Buying a 3070 might be justifiable if you want to go > 100 FPS, ultra quality and RT - but the other cards will just be bragging rights. Given that a lot of the lower end resolutions are probably laptops, for the desktop market, the share that game at 1080P is probably even higher.

We'll see, given Nvidias pricing they certainly are a bit worried. Rumous/leaks don't have the Navi 21 that far behind a 3070, and if it has 12gb VRAM; that helps a bit at higher resolutions. The performance per watt will probably be imporant for some.

I haven't owned a AMD card since they were called ATI, but isn't this mainly an oft repeated myth from yonder days?
    Not a myth, recently they fucked up their entire lineup for few weeks with borked driver. And their biggest chip will trade blows with 3080, you'll see.

5700 had issues around the start of this year. But it's hard to say how much is drivers, and how much is idiots with out-of-spec custom PSU cables, flakey OCs and other shitty hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    5700 had issues around the start of this year. But it's hard to say how much is drivers, and how much is idiots with out-of-spec custom PSU cables, flakey OCs and other shitty hardware.
    100% drivers. After they patched it no hardware needed to be replaced.

Yes undeniably for some, but for others where the issues never resolved..? PEBKAC
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I am 100% prepared to believe that there were some driver issues, but I also strongly suspect that once the meme started to spread, people assumed every little problem was "Grr AMD drivers" whether they were actually anything to do with drivers or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

I am 100% prepared to believe that there were some driver issues, but I also strongly suspect that once the meme started to spread, people assumed every little problem was "Grr AMD drivers" whether they were actually anything to do with drivers or not.
    It's how it usually works yes.

And of course on the other hand no matter how many times Nvidia fucks sth up in their drivers it gets forgotten in seconds. Story as old as time rly.

It's how it usually works yes.

And of course on the other hand no matter how many times Nvidia fucks sth up in their drivers it gets forgotten in seconds. Story as old as time rly.
    This. I have laptop runing cards in sli and every driver udpate was a gamble. And let's not forget Nvidia always slows down old cards after new generation hits market via driver updates while AMD does the opposite. Noone is a saint here.
    Last edited by rufuske; September 3 2020 at 05:11:01 AM.

Ehh, do you have any documentation on that? I've seen the claims, but it's usually with some vague reference to "an article I saw".

Ehh, do you have any documentation on that? I've seen the claims, but it's usually with some vague reference to "an article I saw".
    Every test that I've seen has debunked that myth pretty convincingly. There is a case to be made for nvidia not optimising for older architectures so that the relative performance difference to newer architectures increases but that is not the same as saying they become slower.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Given the massive increases in TDP despite the die shrink it seems Nvidia got most of the gains by just throwing a ton of silicon at it, rather than the new architecture being so much better (don't know the transistor count yet so happy to be proven wrong here). AMD has already completely revamped their architecture with RDNA and have only released "small" silicon so far. That's the whole reason everyone is talking about BigNavi, AMD can simply double their silicon size to almost double the performance. So yes, there is a very real chance that AMD will be able to match 3080 performance at better TDP. Of course there are other factors determining which will be the better GPU but IMHO Nvidia is right to be worried for the first time in ages. Hell, the only reason we got the much better "S" cards from Nvidia last year was because small Navi already forced them into action.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Given the massive increases in TDP despite the die shrink it seems Nvidia got most of the gains by just throwing a ton of silicon at it, rather than the new architecture being so much better (don't know the transistor count yet so happy to be proven wrong here). AMD has already completely revamped their architecture with RDNA and have only released "small" silicon so far. That's the whole reason everyone is talking about BigNavi, AMD can simply double their silicon size to almost double the performance. So yes, there is a very real chance that AMD will be able to match 3080 performance at better TDP. Of course there are other factors determining which will be the better GPU but IMHO Nvidia is right to be worried for the first time in ages. Hell, the only reason we got the much better "S" cards from Nvidia last year was because small Navi already forced them into action.
    Transistor counts are known. These cards are actually insane.

Iirc it's over double per mm2 over Turing etc. And a 3070 has more Cuda cores and a higher clock than a 2080ti.

Hoping AMD also does a good job and were looking at a big leap finally.
    Last edited by Isyel; September 3 2020 at 09:18:16 AM.

I'm highly surprised people are calling these cards good value for money (approx 600 entry atm once currency and price gouging is factored in, yeah fuck right off). Due to the advancement in production environment and methods (as technology advances, it becomes cheaper unless increasing profits are required) the entry for these cards should have been closer to 400. Yes the cards are more powerful than the generation before, but ..... shouldn't they be? Some people are treating this like the second coming of jesus, but tbh Nvidia have sat on their R&D for the last three years, having brought nothing new to the table (and have had no pressure from AMD to do so) and are only now thowing massive amounts of silicon and power at the problem whilst gouging the shit out of the consumer .... and people are falling for it.

I am looking forward to RDNA2 (it seems highly scalable) simply to see how much of a financial buffer nvidia have factored into these cards. I suspect AMD could undercut the shit out of equivalent nvidia offering, while having a performance per watt advantage and the ability to scale depending on how they produce it.

Edit: oh and 1600 for a halo card, no, just ... no.
    Last edited by Smegs; September 3 2020 at 09:29:41 AM.
    Shitting up eve for .... well, longer than most of you scumbags.

The big questions seem to be:
    - how far, if at all behing the 3070 is BigNavi
    - how much less power does it use
    - how soon can we get out mitts on one

I woudl like to support AMD with one of their cards, but probably dont' want to wait until late november/december to do so.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post

I woudl like to support AMD with one of their cards, but probably dont' want to wait until late november/december to do so.
    That's actually interesting. AMD will have two big releases in the second half of this year with RDNA2 and Zen 3 and the only thing I've seen so far as release dates go is.... nothing. I haven't even managed to figure out if they'll release them at the same time like they did last year with Zen 2 and Navi or if they'll spread them out.

AMD might be a little hamstrung here by Sony and Microsoft when it comes to GPU releases as I can see why they would want to launch a gpu after the new consoles have been launched. But that happens in November which feels like an eternity from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post

That's actually interesting. AMD will have two big releases in the second half of this year with RDNA2 and Zen 3 and the only thing I've seen so far as release dates go is.... nothing. I haven't even managed to figure out if they'll release them at the same time like they did last year with Zen 2 and Navi or if they'll spread them out.

AMD might be a little hamstrung here by Sony and Microsoft when it comes to GPU releases as I can see why they would want to launch a gpu after the new consoles have been launched. But that happens in November which feels like an eternity from now.
    I know the answers:

- biggest one will offer 3080 comparable performance
    - a bit more than half TDP
    - soon

You are a swine, and a tease!

I have read from multiple sources their consumer GPU silicone will be out before the 5th gen consoles.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

A 300W+ aircooled card cannot be the quietest. Even if you live in DampColdRainland and need all the dry heat you can get for 10 months of the year, like me, and don't care about your electricity bills, unlike me, TDP matters.

People bagged on the Vega cards for being spaceheaters, and rightly so.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Half tdp for comparable performance you say? Colour me interested.