hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 201 of 214 FirstFirst ... 101151191198199200201202203204211 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,020 of 4269

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    The card I had before the 560ti that died had AGP iirc.
    Yeah OK, then you're indeed very fucked. Ah well, these days you can even play Civ VI on a Nintendo Switch!
    I'm not worried though. I have my MacBook Pro that does run games, there's EVE Echoes which is pretty impressive for a mobile game, and I can just spend time on the range.
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Which shouldn't be hard considering how bad the vega strix cooler is.
    That's why mine's undervolted, stock fans removed, and running 2 noctuas to cool it.
    Quieter and better than the shitty stock fans. If I paid retail for the card I would complain, but I didn't

Yeah but :effort:

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Release the cards! Every detail been leaked by now

Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

I'm waiting to see what AMD has to offer, I'm not paying $2k for 400-600W heater.

Are there good games (as in not glorified tech demos) that can leverage the sort of firepower RTX cards have to offer?

Genuine question; this year I have mostly been playing minecraft, wow and battlebrothers, none of which devour graphics cards. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush
    idiotic posts out of context

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    Are there good games (as in not glorified tech demos) that can leverage the sort of firepower RTX cards have to offer?

Genuine question; this year I have mostly been playing minecraft, wow and battlebrothers, none of which devour graphics cards. :P
    If you're at 1080 2060 super is all you need. Higher res, higher model and we're talking most demanding titles available nowadays. If those future cards offer +50% performance at more than double TDP it will still take at least few months for them to stop being glorified room heaters.

Minecraft RTX mode is a complete graphics overhaul as far as I saw in a video. I never played it nor do I care for it, but that was impressive.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post

If you're at 1080 2060 super is all you need. Higher res, higher model and we're talking most demanding titles available nowadays. If those future cards offer +50% performance at more than double TDP it will still take at least few months for them to stop being glorified room heaters.
    I disagree if you're looking to play a AAA title with RTX at a reasonable framerate (+60). 2070S is the "ideal" card, but I'm not giving Nvidia any more money in this lifetime
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Prom is right and you're dumb.
    Latest Video - The Inner Zone
    YouTube - LiveStream

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar

Control.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

The list of games that support RTX isn't that long. Metro Exodus is pretty demanding, and is a fairly good showcase of RTX as well. Control has been mentioned; both CO Modern Warfare and BF V support it. I'd argue that the case for the 20-series and for that matter the upcoming 30-series isn't really RTX, it's performance. If you plan on playing at higher resolutions than 1080P (or 1080P at above 100 FPS with high/ultra settings) you'll find most cards lacking. The 1080 Ti can still hold it's own in many cases, and right now a used one is pretty good value for money if you don't *need* RTX. Other than that, 1440P and up, particularly at higher FPS, is well into 2070 Super and above country. For FS2020, 4K gaming will require the 30-series at above slide show FPS in higher settings. Or at least the equivalent in AMD terms; we'll see what Big Navi can deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    The list of games that support RTX isn't that long. Metro Exodus is pretty demanding, and is a fairly good showcase of RTX as well. Control has been mentioned; both CO Modern Warfare and BF V support it. I'd argue that the case for the 20-series and for that matter the upcoming 30-series isn't really RTX, it's performance. If you plan on playing at higher resolutions than 1080P (or 1080P at above 100 FPS with high/ultra settings) you'll find most cards lacking. The 1080 Ti can still hold it's own in many cases, and right now a used one is pretty good value for money if you don't *need* RTX. Other than that, 1440P and up, particularly at higher FPS, is well into 2070 Super and above country. For FS2020, 4K gaming will require the 30-series at above slide show FPS in higher settings. Or at least the equivalent in AMD terms; we'll see what Big Navi can deliver.
    On paper Big Navi should trade blows with 3080 at half TDP. If AMD won't fuck up with drivers again it's a clear choice for sane people. Cherry on top is ray tracing support using same api and instructions as future gen consoles. Although how and if it will translate into some better performance and compatibility remains to be seen.
    Last edited by rufuske; August 28 2020 at 06:11:04 AM.

Well that depends on the pricing Nvidia puts on it I guess; I doubt they will be charging $1400 for a 3080 if BigNavi goes for $700. As for the "using same api and instructions as future gen consoles" - I assume that translates into "better support for console ports" - but hasn't that been the case for the last couple of generations? Did it give Polaris-based AMD-cards a comparable advantage over similar performance Nvidia-cards? Honest question. I'm going to upgrade my 1080 Ti this fall, but I'm not quite sure what to get. I run a 100 Hz 3440x1440 (UW) screen, so it demands a fair bit.

As for the "using same api and instructions as future gen consoles" - I assume that translates into "better support for console ports" - but hasn't that been the case for the last couple of generations? Did it give Polaris-based AMD-cards a comparable advantage over similar performance Nvidia-cards? Honest question.
    Not an advantage that you'd notice in gameplay thruth be told but they did end up being progressively faster as the years went on.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar

VR is one area where even the best cards out right now are struggling in some games. Even an older game like Elite: Dangerous can bring a 2080ti to it's knees if you just flick everything on ultra so requires some tinkering to get to a good tradeoff in quality vs speed. So any improvement there is more than welcome. Games like Beat Saber don't suffer from this at all as they are much simpler graphics wise, and games like Half-Life: Alyx don't suffer as much either because they're really well optimized.

Having tried VR several times I'm not really in its target audience. I'd rather fly my space ships and at the same time sip coffee or a glass of wine without being some RL Existenz person. I like escapism with a large degree of remaining in my desk chair, so to speak.

Truth be told there aren't a lot of very demanding games lately, with a mediocre PC you can still get great fps in 1080p and at times in 1440p as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

What Video Card Should I Buy?

Could you define “mediocre pc” and “great FPS”?

Edit: Also, great FPS at what settings?

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar

Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest the 1060 is mediocre, and does seem to chew through pretty much any game steadily if not amazingly

Mediocre PC is what @whispous mentioned above and I would add here high end PCs that are years old (I'm including mine here as well), by great FPS I mean >60 generally but also >144FPS in games that are more competitive in nature (I know CSGO for example runs on any potato PC at these speeds and above).

Ah, the settings. I think most games nowadays would work on a mediocre PC at decent FPS (>60) at medium settings at least and 1080p. I was amazed how well Forza Horizon works for example but here I'd add the ton of pretty games that are pretty well optimised. Sometimes you can get lucky and work with 1440p with that hardware.

Compare this to what was happening over the past decade and before where you kind of needed a new video card every couple years at most because new stuff was coming out with a lot of above average requirements - I know it's stale, but remember Crysis?

I feel nowadays you can play a lot of good stuff with a minimal investment in a PC if you can settle for 1080p and you don't want to crank everything to Ultra settings with hires textures and other similar stuff

Using 1080P @ 60-ish FPS and medium settings, then yes - the 1060 will suffice. Concluding that "there aren't a lot of very demanding games lately" isn't really fair though. If you limit it very narrowly (1080P @ medium 60-80 FPS), then yes - but that's hardly taking into account what the games actually can look like at higher resolutions and settings.

To be perfectly honest there isn't such a difference as it was when Crysis came out (or, better yet, the first FarCry). That was a really big leap. Nowadays, yeah, you get a lot more eye candy but the bulk of it is in the medium settings rather than the "ultra" ones - and some games have been really neutered because they wouldn't run properly due to demanding graphics. Nowadays it's more about "it has to run on console xyz" rather than getting the PC treatment in most cases. Yes, there are exceptions, but are rather rare rather than the norm imo.

FlightSim 2020, VR and 4K-gaming (heck, even ultra-wide) are the new Crysis-benchmark. The bulk of gaming is happening at the settings you refer to, but that's not because the games themselves are limited. It's the hardware available to the average gamer. Running newer games at high or above in 1440P or up, pretty much requires high end hardware unless you're willing to accept 30 FPS.