hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 209 of 216 FirstFirst ... 109159199206207208209210211212 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,180 of 4312

Thread: What Video Card Should I Buy?

Jim has a vid about it, just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smegs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Doesn't matter if the 6900XT is the fastest card or not.
    AMD being able to compete with 3080/3090 so quickly is an astonishment alone!

2020 was the year AMD sailed away from Intel. If they would do the same to Nvidia, it would be a miracle.
    Either way, Nvidia will have to up their pace if they want to continue being the faster GPU manufacturer.

For us the consumers, this is the best possible news.
    I'm not sure it's AMD who did the rush job. Nvidias R&D have been sat on their thumbs for approx 4 years as they had such an architecture lead on AMD/Radeon that they were almost superfluous. But with AMD working through their architecture and refining it (atm it's better than nvidia's, due to scaleability in speed, PPW, die size and clusters), it had Nvidia shitting themselves as they suddenly realised that their architecture was capping out/wrong just as AMD's was sorted out/ramping up.

The Ampare realease seem rushed, half baked and desperate. Understanding that their architecture and process, as is, is not as competative must have come as a shock to Nvidia and they needed to maximise on sales prior to very stiff competition coming from AMD. So i think it was Nvidia who deserve the plaudits for pulling out the stops to get their cow to market first. AMD seem to have been just chugging along doing their thing, and it seems they were pleasently surprised at how little ampare had to offer....
    Forgive my ignorance here(and absolutely zero sarcasm implied) but is this referring to the massive uptick in CUDA cores but no similar uptick in relative performance?

Using this source:
    Graphy stuff

The CUDA per FPS core is as follws:

3090 FE - 70.6
    3080 FE - 60.2
    2080 ti FE - 30.3
    1080 ti FE - 29.1

To me this suggests that 30series CUDA cores are dogshit lol. But I am an ignorant fool and probably comparing apples to keyboards here lol
    Yup. Although the raw numbers are tbh pretty impressive, Nvidias choice of how to do things is a dead horse atm (although process change may help).

Comparing architecture to architecture, for consumer use (ignoring the clusters), Ampare is all kinds of wrong (much like the VEGA cards were) and pretty much seems at the limit of what it can do on the selected process with 'sensible' cooling, whereas the AMD architecture was 'meh' to begin with, due to being new and very unoptimised, but scales exceedingly well with process and cluster size while beating the shit out of Nvidias (old but still good) architecture in power draw and PPW.

As pointed out, Nvidia architecture (and focus) is on the big money, BUT with the need for very impressive cooling solutions, the PPW for large clusters could still swing in AMD's way depending on NAVI 2X.

The current battle between these two reminds me of the Intel/AMD spat where Intel refused to drop its Netburst architecture despite it being proven to be a dead horse long before replacing it with Core.
    Shitting up eve for .... well, longer than most of you scumbags.

Well, you are first of all basing it on FPS in 1080P. There are differences between 1080P, 1440P and 4K between the cards. The FP32 cores are also present and counted in the 20-series, so it's not like they've become worse. It's just that the raw increase (which is impressive) isn't giving you all the performance increases one would want. That being said; I'm sitting on the fence. I want an upgrade (1080 Ti, UW-gaming), but I'm not sure I need one right now, and I doubt it's going to be a 30-series.

Trying not to sound harsh, but right now is a terrible time to buy or upgrade, but in a good way.

I really hope NAVI 2X is excellent AND significantly cheaper than 30XX, we really could do with a bit of a price war to push the spiraling card prices down some (1000+ for a consumer card ... no, just no), but i suspect AMD will gouge just as much as Nvidia, they are a company after all and nothing makes shareholders happy in the pants like significant profits.

Also trying not to be harsh to Nvidia but they have become a bit of a bohemoth and rather despotic in multiple markets taking all their customers (both consumer and business) for a ride over multiple years, that really needs to stop somewhere.
    Shitting up eve for .... well, longer than most of you scumbags.

It's like I've been saying, only a fool places a bet on a horse race when he only knows one of the horses that's running. There's no huge rush here. Aint like Nvidia are going to stop selling 3080s on the 28th and if you wait to see what AMD are offering, then you've missed your chance at a card from Nvidia.

To the contrary: it's more than likely that you'll see more options from Nvidia after the 28th, as well as more stock, and I don't just mean the 3070. The Super variants are the worlds worst kept secret at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    It's like I've been saying, only a fool places a bet on a horse race when he only knows one of the horses that's running. There's no huge rush here. Aint like Nvidia are going to stop selling 3080s on the 28th and if you wait to see what AMD are offering, then you've missed your chance at a card from Nvidia.

To the contrary: it's more than likely that you'll see more options from Nvidia after the 28th, as well as more stock, and I don't just mean the 3070. The Super variants are the worlds worst kept secret at this point.
    ^ This.

Also, like, i'd really stop the wild AMD hype thinking their cards are somehow going to be magical, it's not happening. And this is saying entirely as a moderate AMD fanboi.

It is looking like it's going to be exciting times though.

IDK if this has been linked, but some of the cross gen game results on the xbox are fucking impressive. Means they absolutely have some great tech going.

Last edited by Isyel; October 6 2020 at 09:08:27 PM.

I'm quietly optimistic that the AMD GPU range will be more cost effective and reasonably competitive with the Nvidia GPUs. 90% of the performance for 80% of the price is fine by me, especially if they're relatively stronger at 1440p rather than 4k. As I have 1440p screens.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I'm quietly optimistic that the AMD GPU range will be more cost effective and reasonably competitive with the Nvidia GPUs. 90% of the performance for 80% of the price is fine by me, especially if they're relatively stronger at 1440p rather than 4k. As I have 1440p screens.
    Yup seems entirely reasonable to me.

As soon as AMD shits out a high end card nvidia's gonna drop prices for their 70+ range. Below that it's fine as is.

And for 1080p gaming you are set with entry level ampere, when they show up.

Word on the street is jensen went back to TSMC and negotiated new deal. Expect 7nm super amperes with proper availability in few months.

TSMC was all booked for the rest of the year, and iirc Apple had a huge % for 2021, so there won't be 7nm Supers "in few months". There won't even be 8nm 3070 stock resting on shelves before xmas at this rate. Even if Nvidia had done the R&D for 7nm and snookered themselves last minute, but also managed to get 8nm R&D done & cooling solutions tweaked, and now ponied up cash to get bumped up priority, it'd be 6months from 3090 release before you get 7nm Ampere.
    And if not, very very pissed customers.

RDNA2 in 2 weeks hype.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; October 14 2020 at 09:23:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Nvidia have definitely delivered a masterclass in FOMO marketing this generation. It's genuinely impressive.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    RDNA2 in 2 weeks hype.
    So nervous that all AMD might have going for RDNA2 is availability.

Please AMD! You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    RDNA2 in 2 weeks hype.
    So nervous that all AMD might have going for RDNA2 is availability.

Please AMD! You can do it!
    I'm nervous they will overprice them because of no competition paper launch from Nvidia, as they did with new Ryzens.

I hope the "backlash" at them asking for <20% price rise for >20% performance gains with Zen3 early adopters will temper any such thoughts for RDNA2, as they're not expected to be the market leaders for GPU performance or software ecosystems with this generation, unlike CPUs.

AFAIK 'only availability' of an actual 3080 competitor would be a huge step up from GCN v4 and RDNA1 in terms of performance in a single generation.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; October 14 2020 at 02:53:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I hope the "backlash" at them asking for <20% price rise for >20% performance gains with Zen3 early adopters will temper any such thoughts for RDNA2, as they're not expected to be the market leaders for GPU performance or software ecosystems with this generation, unlike CPUs.

AFAIK 'only availability' of an actual 3080 competitor would be a huge step up from GCN v4 and RDNA1 in terms of performance in a single generation.
    As I said before, 3080 performance is given. I'm more interested if the rumor of 3090 competitor, which someone mentioned some posts before, are true, as on paper it's entirely realistic with just ramping up clocks past 2.3ghz with cooling and TDP on Nvidia levels.

Also those cards will make a laughing stock at 1080p out of 3080 and 3090 with frames per watt.

Severely doubt they'll make a laughing stock out of anything, you're setting yourself up for some amazing disappointment. I just hope they'll be fine Lmao.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Severely doubt they'll make a laughing stock out of anything, you're setting yourself up for some amazing disappointment. I just hope they'll be fine Lmao.
    But fine = pointless

That percentage is very inconsistent, though. For the dual chiplet SKUs, it's well below 20%. The cost to get a 6- or 8-core SKU has gone up by a lot more than 20%. The cost per core of the new SKUs is pretty telling; the 5900 is the "value" CPU!

To me this feels like AMD want to push the single-chipet end of the market to APUs, and this is the first step down that road. I think the way that people grumbled about Ampere prices but then paid anyway has given them ideas about how a technology leader can behave. After all, they may be thinking, if people are willing to pay $800 for a really good video card, why shouldn't they be willing to pay $550 for a really good CPU to match it? Why should AMD 'settle' for selling them a $200 6-core or a $300 8-core when they could be selling them a $500 12-core or a $700 16-core?

So they make the dual-chiplet CPUs better value per core. People like you and me should be guided towards those. Single-chiplet CPUs with their lowly 8 cores are going to be for poors who wouldn't even buy a separate video card anyway - especially with the Navi2 APUs now less than year away.

If they can reshape the market like this, it will kick Intel in the nards really hard, because they're pretty much capped at 8 cores in terms of CPUs they can economically produce at volume. Intel won't be able to produce "a proper high end multicore CPU", and while everyone will respect the CPU power of their "low end" CPUs, they'll get rinsed on graphics by Navi2.

He said with frames per watt, ie: power efficiency. It matters more than people think, especially in areas where people pay to cool their house. The amount of power that 3080s and 3090s pull is edging into srsbsns territory, and the Super cards will pull even more if they are doubling up on memory. A PC that kicks out 500-600-700 watts of total system power isn't just a higher power bill, it's a more expensive PSU, it's air con, it's noise, its higher system temps for the CPU (which in turn needs a more effective cooler)...

AMD have teased us with a few Navi2 benchmarks with a card - we don't know which one - that put it behind, but only a little behind, a 3080. Effectively they have asserted that it will be a viable contender for 4k gaming. We also know that Ampere is optimised for 4k gaming, and is relatively less efficient at lower resolutions.

It's not at all a stretch to speculate that AMD didn't show their best card on the 8th - why would they?; it's a fact that the drivers used for those benchmarks were 4 weeks pre-release on the 8th; and it's certainly very possible that Navi2 might scale differently to Ampere through different resolutions.

The Navi2 AMD teased could lose by a few percent at 4k to the 3080, but still beat it by a few percent at 1440p. If AMD price it competitively, and if it uses noticeably less juice, then they'll have a very credible offering.