hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 326 of 327 FirstFirst ... 226276316323324325326327 LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,520 of 6533

Thread: Mobile Phone Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I'm thinking of replacing my one plus 2 soon, how is the current one plus line? What would the equivalent be? What're my chances of this one also lasting 5 years?
    That error has been corrected, comrade
    I was worried that could be the case.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    It's... not the best time to buy a Oneplus device tbh, and I say that as a Oneplus 7T Pro owner. They've just been caught throttling 300 popular apps and earlier they announced they would be merging OxygenOS with Oppo's ColorOS. So that's a healthy dose of uncertainty right there.

If you're set on buying a BBK (parent company of Oneplus, Oppo, Vivo and Realme) device, give Realme a solid look. They're basically what Oneplus was a couple of years ago, the newest Oppo spin-off selling phones with flagship-like features for a lot less money.

If you don't hate MIUI there's 2 options
    Redmi note 10 pro - better camera, bigger battery and looks
    Poco F3 - your 2021 flagship killer, main camera bit of a letdown and worse than Poco F2

Otherwise if you need more vanilla-ish android Realme like overspark mentioned but they also put out a bit mediocre devices recently. 8 series isn't much of an improvement over the 7 Pro.

Gesendet von meinem M2012K11AG mit Tapatalk

Colleague of mine got a Gigaset GS4 from work.

https://www.gigaset.com/hq_en/gigaset-gs4/

Doesn't look like a bad feature set. Android 11 is coming in Q4 2021. My friend has had it for a few days now and it seems to be pretty good. He has a pixel 4a and is a huge nerd for reference.

EDIT:

Oh remember that encrypted chat app the FBI had control over and used it to bust a bunch of drug dealers? It was a bit more than just an app. They sold phones. Here's an article on the encrypted phone the FBI used in that sting operation.

https://www.engadget.com/fbi-anom-ph...7.html?src=rss
    Last edited by Joe Appleby; July 10 2021 at 07:59:49 PM.
    nevar forget

I ended up splashing out a bit and got myself a pixel 5. Pretty happy with it so far, it's nice having some battery life and apps which don't continuously crash
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Cheap chinese phones being dodgy AF shock/nonshock:

The Xiaomi phone includes software modules specifically designed to leak data to Chinese authorities and to censor media related to topics the Chinese government considers sensitive. The Huawei phone replaces the standard Google Play application store with third-party substitutes the NCSC found to harbor sketchy, potentially malicious repackaging of common applications.
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...tphone-models/
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Do you hate adds on your mobile phone when using YouTube?

Now you can get rid of them!
    https://youtubevanced.com
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

I bought youtube premium at the airport before my 13 hour flight, and I have been loving it, no more ads too

For whatever reason, for years I saw very few ads on YT (on my AndroidTV set). Less then one a day. But last year they started popping up left and right dozens times a day. That's when I also subscribed to YT Premium.

For YT: "Mission accomplished!". For me: I can live with the costs though it will be the very 1st thing I cancel if I ever need to free up a few EURs per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    For whatever reason, for years I saw very few ads on YT (on my AndroidTV set). Less then one a day. But last year they started popping up left and right dozens times a day. That's when I also subscribed to YT Premium.

For YT: "Mission accomplished!". For me: I can live with the costs though it will be the very 1st thing I cancel if I ever need to free up a few EURs per month.
    99% of my YT consumption is on my PC and uBlock takes care of all the ads. But I am annoyed whenever I use YT on the TV. I am quite close to signing up to YT premium as well.
    nevar forget

I have had YT Premium for 2+ years and not regretting it. No ads on phone/Nvidia Shield TVs and the smart speakers works a lot better when you can request specific songs.
    Last edited by Mashie Saldana; April 7 2022 at 10:20:24 AM.

All I ever watch on my TV anymore is Youtube and compared to how much I pay every month for cable, Youtube Premium is a bargain.

People still watch cable TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Unfortunately for me, I still follow sports.

I guess in the U.S. sports is the last bastion that keeps people subscribed to their cable TV bundles.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Unfortunately for me, I still follow sports.
    Ah fair enough, there isn't really any alternative in that case tbh.

Decided to replace the battery on my Oneplus 5t that I've been very happy with to extend it's lifespan another 2-3 years. Went fairly smoothly, save for one small "ZAP" when I slipped with the plyers. D'oh! So now I have a perfectly fine working phone with a new battery but no external loudspeakers or buzzer. Ordering a new loudspeaker unit comes with a 30 day delivery so that's not really an option and it might not be what's broken anyway.

So a new phone it is. Options?

My usecase:
    Don't game
    Don't care about a snazzy camera. It just needs to take pictures that resemble reality somewhat.
    No bloatware (Samsung's out I guess)
    5g is optional, 4g is plenty fast for streaming spotify and various podcasts.
    Fuck Apple in general

Just want a good screen that can handle the sun decently and good batterylife.

Just recently learned about Fairphone and I really like the concept, anyone had experience with it? Also considered a second hand used phone but almost everything screams "STOLEN GOODS" to me.
    Last edited by Spartan Dax; April 9 2022 at 07:34:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    No bloatware (Samsung's out I guess)
    Actually that's less of an issue than it used to be these days. Samsung got less bad, other manufacturers got worse, most are now at a similar level. Also Samsung is one of the best Android manufacturers when it comes to updates and security patches nowadays. Indi just got a Samsung S22 after owning a Oneplus 6t for a couple of years, we went through similar considerations.

Fairphone was also considered, and seems to be a very valid option. In the end the few compromises that you still have to make (LCD screen vs oled, stuff like that) swung us towards the S22. MKBHD has a very good video about the Fairphone that might help:

The S22 and Fairphone are in wildly different price categories though. A Pixel 6 is reasonably close in price and it has obviously better performing parts. But then I don't need performance and that 5 year warranty and replacable battery is kinda neat.

No my issue is something like the Oneplus Nord CE. Basically the same hardware (snapdragon 750g) under the hood and a pretty naked Android OS. But at half the price. That's a tough sell for the fairphone tbh.

Fairphone does promise longer software and security updates than anyone else on the market though. I'll have to sleep on it some more before I make up my mind.

Yeah if value/$ is your main consideration something like a Fairphone will never be able to compete and neither will a flagship. A Fairphone is only interesting if 1) you subscribe to their philosophy and 2) the software and security updates matter to you.

Also it's debatable how naked the Nord CE OS is, Oneplus now is not the same as Oneplus when they launched the 5T. And we all know Oneplus has a hard enough time keeping up with a security update every 2 months. They really have fallen behind to the Samsungs of this world unfortunately.