hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Sins of a solar empire

Sins of a solar empire

Has now been released on steam since and is no longer a gamestop lolpulse exclusive.

The steam version comes with both expansion.

I don't know what SOASE is, why should I care?
    Sins of a Solar Empire is a real time space strategy game which makes use of many 4x space game elements. You start on a single planet from which gravity well you build your stellar empire. Conquering new planets and asteroids is vital to keeping your fleet up as you try to erase the enemy from the map. The games can be quite lenghty and take lots of time but the fight in between will be numerous and require a lot of strategy as ship don't really are anti unit x but each have their specialty roles. Otherwise you can be a completely peaceful faction which invests in trade but you will be left at the mercy of others who don't share your vision.

So what can I do in the game?
    In short, build an empire. In the long run you have to maintain a stable military and economic empire so that you can advance through your tech tree and unlock new ships, technologies and more efficient infrastructure. You can then upgrade your planets to make the logistical or production planets, you can even scout it for ancient artefacts. To generate income you either trade with others or build mines on the asteroids in fields and those surrounding your colonies. You can build a fleet of which also consist of capital ships. These capital ships can be given special commands and levelled up so they become more effective as you use them in combat. Basically it is a sandbox and you get some toys to shape the map with.

Does it have a campaign, am I being forced to play with others?
    No it does not have a campaign but you can play skirmishes and challenges on your own if you so desire.

Do you have some videos for me so I can look how it plays?
    Of course!

I own it but nobody else does and I don't want to play by my own
    Well good news! Some people might already own it and some people might have just bought it on steam. If there is enough interest we can hold a game sometime. Just drop your steam username here, or if you have the lolstop version just mention that you are interested.

Now for sale on steam at 25% off for 12,50 euros/dollars/whatevers

P.S. surprised nobody mentioned this game yet on Failheap. Think I saw it on Scrapheap since its from 2008, not sure if there was much interested before.
    [~A place to talk about autism~]

"You can't alt tab from god"

good rts, got tired of it after a few games with no campaign (and being terribru.)

Needs a mod where its black holes (rather than the suns) and solar systems (rather than the planets.)
    "But the vast majority of this forum is European and/or highly urbanized and quite liberal in their firearms views. Take this discussion to ih8mud.com (Toyota Land Cruiser forum) or even knifeforums.com and you'd see the opposite."
    -OrangeAfroMan

Quote Originally Posted by Devec View Post
    P.S. surprised nobody mentioned this game yet on Failheap. Think I saw it on Scrapheap since its from 2008, not sure if there was much interested before.
    Its gets boring really fast, the AI shit, all the races are identical, very few different ship classes and the game is too easy in general.

4x game wise its just not very good and its a fairly meh strategy game.
    Last edited by Joshua Foiritain; November 18 2011 at 12:49:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    Its gets boring really fast, the AI shit, all the races are identical, very few different ship classes and the game is too easy in general.

this

had potential tho
    In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? ... At least it is true that man has no control; even over his own will.

I have to agree on this. It's a very bland game that for some reason has quite a few fans.

I like it, but it has little depth and the only difficulty comes from the AI blobbing.

thats why its fun to play with people vs ai :V
    need me?, contact me on Discord (entrox#0001) or via e-mail (entrox@failheap-challenge.com).

Or *gasp* people vs other people.

I enjoyed this game immensely when playing it with two roommates in our LAN room and one weekend we spent something like 16 hours trying to defeat a custom scenario one of them had crafted in the map editor. It was a bit soul crushing but goddamn did it feel proper epic. Doubt you could really recreate that feel over Steam, also I'm not buying it again just because it's cheap, and the xpac is coming out Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

What did the expansions add? Had friends grab this too, but we never really got around to playing. Needed them to learn the game before trying and then being all in the same room would be ideal like Ruri's setup

I tried playing this with a friend several years ago, but there was some crazy bug that would cause everything to desync (which we didn't realize until 3 hours in). I might be up for trying it online again sometime though. The only real problem is that it takes about 4+ hours for a proper game.

Played a comp stomp with friends a while ago, was fun.

There is a nice amount of variety in your "hero" ships. Each one has a few skills and an ultimate like in WC3. Thought that aspect was pretty awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

Quote Originally Posted by Eard View Post
    What did the expansions add? Had friends grab this too, but we never really got around to playing. Needed them to learn the game before trying and then being all in the same room would be ideal like Ruri's setup
    Lots and lots of balance, the ability to win through culture or diplo instead of combat, new ships, player "missions" etc. You want to be playing Sins: Diplomacy if you do at all.

For myself I'm terrible at RTS games because I'm so goddamn slow at -everything-, so I found the pacing of Sins to be very welcoming. But it really is best played with friends, if you want single player spacebattles stick to Homeworld.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

So I left the steam store page open to it, forgot what I was doing, and then somehow absentmindedly bought it. I'll be up for some games tomorrow/later tonight I guess. Hit me up on steam/IRC if a game is starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eard View Post
    I played lots of Entrenchment, which made the system defenses actually useful instead of a tiny speedbump for attacking fleets. The orbital bases can work as minor shipyards, trade centers, very strong fortifications and even control points to maintain ownership of the system if the planet gets sterilized. You can also build mines. Diplomacy I have less experience with, especially since it's not my chosen path.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormscion View Post

this

had potential tho
    I played it for a while, after a while the realization that winning the game is an act of tedium and the only fun comes with establishing a foothold against all odds I never finished a game again and quit each scenario after I won a galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by dpidcoe View Post
    So I left the steam store page open to it, forgot what I was doing, and then somehow absentmindedly bought it. I'll be up for some games tomorrow/later tonight I guess. Hit me up on steam/IRC if a game is starting.
    Well we can organise a game whenever me thinks.

Just need to pick a time and we can start off the game.

The thing is it depends on what you want to do be it PvE in teams or PvP. We could say go with 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 if there is interest or just team up and go up against a Hard enemy. Or free for all if anyone is interested and just team up along the way.
    [~A place to talk about autism~]

"You can't alt tab from god"

this game is good in multiplayer, that's about it tbh

When is the new game out? Titans sounds p.good. Although apparently they will be very un cost effective in terms of cost/power and you will only ever see 1-2 of them
    Last edited by Mavolio; November 19 2011 at 02:13:10 AM.

Banned
    Trailer for rebelion.

I still dont understand what is new in this game and how its different from the last. As far as I can tell they copy and pasted each faction to go from 3 to 6 and stuck a different titan on each and charged full price for a new game?

There are even mods for the last game that added new races and Titans to it for free