hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Elden Ring - RPG based on Souls or Souls with RPG elements?

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Or Shabriri's insane proclamations when he asks you to seek 3 fingers using body of a one among few good npcs?
    I didn't get that bit, i don't think. I found the drop and door randomly exploring.
    Still, fun.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

I'm posibly crazy - but bear with me here:

The Haligtree area feels like a DLC they decided to put in with the whole game.
    It's about the size of a DLC, has very DLC like features eg: baclstory bosses, bullshit and craze.

Did they just think "fuck it, it's finished, lets ship that too" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post

It's about the size of a DLC, has very DLC like features eg: baclstory bosses, bullshit and craze.

Nah pretty sure all the demigods were supposed to be in the base game + the boss was plastered all over the marketing for the game

Nah, look how convoluted Ranni's quest is and how much of a game you can miss if you skip those silly teleporters. Imo it's all on purpose. Struggle with it, and receive all the more endorphins. If you haven't visited fextralife and had it all been spoiled, there's no chance you can complete Fia's or Ranni's quest. And it has always been so. Souls series have been taking their inability to weave a coherent narration and story arc to a virtue. And their incompetence in that regard serves as a feature. Same with multiplayer implementation, at that point it's a case study how to disguise your developer incompetence as a feature.

I like the fact that the game doesn't hand hold me through quests and that if I miss things then I miss things. Modern "open world" with markers polluting the map for everything and a quest log of "go and do exactly this thing" are just box ticking exercises in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

One of the first things I always turn off in any game are quest and location markers. That shit can diaf.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Nah, look how convoluted Ranni's quest is and how much of a game you can miss if you skip those silly teleporters. Imo it's all on purpose. Struggle with it, and receive all the more endorphins. If you haven't visited fextralife and had it all been spoiled, there's no chance you can complete Fia's or Ranni's quest. And it has always been so. Souls series have been taking their inability to weave a coherent narration and story arc to a virtue. And their incompetence in that regard serves as a feature. Same with multiplayer implementation, at that point it's a case study how to disguise your developer incompetence as a feature.
    Its just a narrative choice by the dev.

You mean there's a AAA developer who dared not strip parts of their game to subsequently sell separately as DLC? Damn.

Tbh I played this for about 2 hours and I'm still hovering over the refund button. I am aware it's good, I am aware it's hard, but some design choices that make the game harder than it needs to be are absolutely atrocious, especially since the game is so punishing and every mistake repeated gets you killed. One of the things I've struggled with for example is whilst blocking and trying to move backwards the character turns around, even though it's locked on the enemy attacking, leading to being hit (grievously) from behind. I can understand turning around if you aren't blocking, but honestly wut.

I know, I know, dodge and roll, dodge and roll.

Sigh.

that red knight mofo
    IIRC they are called "Crucible knights" and they are absolute bastards. My first heavy dex playthrough i couldn't kill them at all, their obnoxious 5 hit combos blasting through any and all poise was extremely disheartening. They are entirely skippable throughout most of the game but still... They are relatively easy to parry then counterattack if you get them at the right part of their animation 'allegedly' though i've used Lightning Bolts and Lazers to rip them apart with good effect.

There's only a couple that have decent drops anyway - but still
    Wait, that patrolling cunt on a horse is copy pasted more?

Encountered one just as I started the game past the first elevator, dude was cheerfully patrolling outside, hid in a bush and ambushed him and did like 5% damage, then he proceeded to dumpster me. Repeated the tactic but this time with more dodges, he dumpstered me slightly slower. Recovered my runes and grudgingly stuck to slaying random guards at camp fires, deer and wolves -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    One of the things I've struggled with for example is whilst blocking and trying to move backwards the character turns around, even though it's locked on the enemy attacking, leading to being hit (grievously) from behind. I can understand turning around if you aren't blocking, but honestly wut.
    What? https://files.catbox.moe/kghtxj.mp4

Encountered one just as I started the game past the first elevator, dude was cheerfully patrolling outside, hid in a bush and ambushed him and did like 5% damage, then he proceeded to dumpster me. Repeated the tactic but this time with more dodges, he dumpstered me slightly slower. Recovered my runes and grudgingly stuck to slaying random guards at camp fires, deer and wolves -.-
    Crucible Knights are a different enemy and slightly more annoying than the Tree Sentinels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortvvs View Post
    One of the things I've struggled with for example is whilst blocking and trying to move backwards the character turns around, even though it's locked on the enemy attacking, leading to being hit (grievously) from behind. I can understand turning around if you aren't blocking, but honestly wut.
    What? https://files.catbox.moe/kghtxj.mp4
    Ok I am officially annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortvvs View Post

Crucible Knights are a different enemy and slightly more annoying than the Tree Sentinels.
    But of course tehre is a slightly more annoying enemy than the tree sentinels

If tree sentinel gets you so annoyed, you're going to yeet your pc from the nearest window when you encounter your first crucible knight. This game might not be for you.

Ahh. The first lessons:
    If it moves hit it, and if it's health bar doesn't move, come back later.

If tree sentinel gets you so annoyed, you're going to yeet your pc from the nearest window when you encounter your first crucible knight. This game might not be for you.
    I specifically said annoyed, not upset. Perhaps take a few steps down from the top of git gud mountain.

Ahh. The first lessons:
    If it moves hit it, and if it's health bar doesn't move, come back later.
    This is actually helpful. A friend also linked me some how to play videos and I discovered my character can sprint so there's that

Edit: it may seem like it is logical, but I encountered so far enemies who would lose HP slowly but once caught on the wrong foot I could suddenly crit them, so I tried the Tree Sentinel a few times before giving up

I'm kinda impressed that after what felt like an eternity getting to the bottom of hell, There was a worse hell, which then got worse again, eventually taking my clothes off to meet another hell, to discover the world is now upset with my life choices.

What a mental bit of storytelling.
    You're warned not to do it.
    I wasn't.

I specifically said annoyed, not upset. Perhaps take a few steps down from the top of git gud mountain.
    I'm nowhere near it. And the only way to enjoy this game from that position is to treat it as an exercise in persistence and remaining calm while having your shit beat into you until at some point something clicks and you get all the patterns and dodge roll timing right and beat that boss (or remind yourself it might optional and you can comeback later). Without that mindset it might be really better to refund and save yourself frustration. As a hint try to analyze what you are doing wrong and try a different approach. All the boss fights in the beginning are set up in a way to teach you important lesson, ie Margit with his fuck off long staff with ungodly reach becomes actually quite easy once you realize game tries to teach you to dodge roll into the attacks instead of away from boss. His entire move set is designed to punish panic rolls and rolling away from him.
    Last edited by rufuske; April 15 2022 at 04:15:29 PM.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    HAHA

GIT GUD YOU FUCKING SCUBS
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

I'm nowhere near it. And the only way to enjoy this game from that position is to treat it as an exercise in persistence and remaining calm while having your shit beat into you until at some point something clicks and you get all the patterns and dodge roll timing right and beat that boss (or remind yourself it might optional and you can comeback later). Without that mindset it might be really better to refund and save yourself frustration. As a hint try to analyze what you are doing wrong and try a different approach. All the boss fights in the beginning are set up in a way to teach you important lesson, ie Margit with his fuck off long staff with ungodly reach becomes actually quite easy once you realize game tries to teach you to dodge roll into the attacks instead of away from boss. His entire move set is designed to punish panic rolls and rolling away from him.
    Found this vid of legit Margit tactics

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    I legit thought you were talking about morgot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    I legit thought you were talking about morgot.
    Morgot works on same principle but is much later in the game.