hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New World

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Tbh unless your only playtime is literally 6pm to 8pm each weekday and late afternoons and evenings on the weekends you will be fine. Even then, just pick one of the many totally uncongested servers.

I've hit level 35 around working a full time job and parenting, on a busy server (the same one Cullnean and others are on).

Just factor the queue into your plans, i.e. log in 60 mins before you want to play and then go make supper, shower etc.

queues totally gone now BF is out

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    queues totally gone now BF is out
    yeah its chilled out now but still no less busy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

sadly EU is s till totally offline, 3 hours after their maint window closed.
    i guess somebody fucked up the patch.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

While queues ahve gone, i'm pretty bummed out with the game now. I've enjoyed it up to this point, but now running over to the next zone who's name excapes me, what do we find but almost identical mobs. slightly reskinned monsters. another baffling array of crafting materials to pick up, i guess, otherwise i'll need them later (right?) but they are most probably useless. It's just so very samey, there's little indication of progression at all. Sure 'the difference between lvl 1 and lvl 60 mobs is the colour of their armour' is a meme, but surely the devs could have put a little bit of effort in to differentiate the areas a little more. Maybe it's the GFX engine, IDK. Maybe i'm just not in the mood right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    While queues ahve gone, i'm pretty bummed out with the game now. I've enjoyed it up to this point, but now running over to the next zone who's name excapes me, what do we find but almost identical mobs. slightly reskinned monsters. another baffling array of crafting materials to pick up, i guess, otherwise i'll need them later (right?) but they are most probably useless. It's just so very samey, there's little indication of progression at all. Sure 'the difference between lvl 1 and lvl 60 mobs is the colour of their armour' is a meme, but surely the devs could have put a little bit of effort in to differentiate the areas a little more. Maybe it's the GFX engine, IDK. Maybe i'm just not in the mood right now.
    Ok so this changes quite dramatically at the 3 level 50-58 regions content. In particular Ebonscale Reach is fucking stunning with almost no re-used models.

I haven't gone to the final 2 regions (Reekwater and the top left one) yet either.

Overall though it is a fair criticism; it seems a bit weird they dont have more unique models given how polished the game is generally. Clearly the decided to focus on the post-levelling content but it feels a bit extreme.
    Last edited by Lallante; October 18 2021 at 11:25:44 AM.

It feels like difficulty is also raising a lot the last 5 levels and i guess keeps going up after 60 too. Which I like, it was a breezy till around 50ish but now it is getting slightly dicey especially with the fuckton of stagger the mobs bring to the table.

Some of it is artifical with Musketeers just going shitload of hitscan damage or elite bears nearly one-shotting me but at least itīs no longer a full faceroll to grind through enemies as before.
    Hope the "endgame" is kind of engaging because i enjoyed my time so far. 158h, perhaps 4h in a queue, money well spent even if I would stop playing right now and I still have 3 areas, 3 dungeons and a bit of leveling in front of me.

I am about to hit 60 today, will let you know.

Swimming in refining reagents so last night I delete around 240Lb of tier2 ones (that are also unsellable due to the flooded market).

This mornings patch notes indicate they are reverting the crafting reagent drop rate.

FML.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Swimming in refining reagents so last night I delete around 240Lb of tier2 ones (that are also unsellable due to the flooded market).

This mornings patch notes indicate they are reverting the crafting reagent drop rate.

FML.
    ouch. To be fair 240lb (1250 items) isnt actually that much though, I used more than that to get Smelting from 145 to 160. Also you get tier 3 ones in large quantities once you hit about 55

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post

FML.
    ouch. To be fair 240lb (1250 items) isnt actually that much though, I used more than that to get Smelting from 145 to 160. Also you get tier 3 ones in large quantities once you hit about 55
    Oh. I was under the impression that its a reduction for all tiers of reagents. Maybe its not so bad then if you are still right post patch.

So.. its been out around a month'ish now.

How we feeling?

Ive noticed people have certainly dropped off in terms of their time spent ingame over the last week or so. Too many other interesting games syndrome maybe?

Im finding the solo questing past level 55 to be slow and painful with the mob scaling / density and insane respawn rates. So im trying to up my crafting skills. This is also slow and painful.

Probably a game to pop in and check out from time to time, rather than it being an all consuming entertainment provider?

So.. its been out around a month'ish now.

How we feeling?

Probably a game to pop in and check out from time to time, rather than it being an all consuming entertainment provider?
    It's ok in short bursts, but i can't find myself playing it for 8 hour sessions - the combat system + all the walking gets really monotinous. The world is really cool, and a lot of thought has gone into parts of the game, just not the quest system or respawn rate (that's an easy fix for sure).
    Last edited by Itiken; October 25 2021 at 06:33:01 PM.

The economy is pretty dire but I'm enjoying the post-60 content, albeit there's not enough to keep me for much longer. Still havent PvPd but will do soon.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Other games have dragged me off, but like most mmos I'll be dipping in and out
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Other games have dragged me off, but like most mmos I'll be dipping in and out
    Give guild leadership to Damo - apparantly it gives a DPS bonus while in party?

I re-activated / re-Installed FFXVI last night and was immediately struck by how vibrant and fun the world is, which made me realise the opposite is true with NewWorld.

It's brown. it's GrimDark. everyone is Dead. there is no life in the world outside of the small towns. I'm sure that's an active design choice, but where are the farms, the holdouts, the caves full of weird things?
    There are what, 6 mobs 1-55: Zombies, bears, tigers, ghosts, skelingtons, pirates ? It's such a drudgery.

Then everything is such a insane grind (yeah yeah FFXVI is a grind too i know but bear with me): By tying all crafting to levelling XP you feel you have to stop and mine every piece of ore, chop lots of trees, gather lots of cloth, craft all the things: But you can't just vendor them. recycling works to some degree, but all you get then is more mats to do more stuff with you simply don't care about. But if you don't do this, you are behind. It's infuriating, and a design choice. It's not grinding to get to X it's grinding for the sake of it. Even the travel system. Want to port about - fine, have a limited fast travel system, but how do you get mats ? yeah, party up and grind for them. AAAAAArgh

Then Housing - Grind gold to get a house, grind mats to decorate it, fine. ok. then grind upkeep (WAT). But don't forget, you have to keep doing town quests or your forge won't work any more. What happens when servers get to low pop and we end up without enough people to keep a lvl5 forge for endgame mats?

is it supposed to be a DarkSouls simulator? Grey, misery, and eventually the flames go out across civilisation, as is slowly dwindles to nothing. Maybe, Maybe.
    Anyway, i guess i'm done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    I re-activated / re-Installed FFXVI last night and was immediately struck by how vibrant and fun the world is, which made me realise the opposite is true with NewWorld.

It's brown. it's GrimDark. everyone is Dead. there is no life in the world outside of the small towns. I'm sure that's an active design choice, but where are the farms, the holdouts, the caves full of weird things?
    There are what, 6 mobs 1-55: Zombies, bears, tigers, ghosts, skelingtons, pirates ? It's such a drudgery.

Then everything is such a insane grind (yeah yeah FFXVI is a grind too i know but bear with me): By tying all crafting to levelling XP you feel you have to stop and mine every piece of ore, chop lots of trees, gather lots of cloth, craft all the things: But you can't just vendor them. recycling works to some degree, but all you get then is more mats to do more stuff with you simply don't care about. But if you don't do this, you are behind. It's infuriating, and a design choice. It's not grinding to get to X it's grinding for the sake of it. Even the travel system. Want to port about - fine, have a limited fast travel system, but how do you get mats ? yeah, party up and grind for them. AAAAAArgh

Then Housing - Grind gold to get a house, grind mats to decorate it, fine. ok. then grind upkeep (WAT). But don't forget, you have to keep doing town quests or your forge won't work any more. What happens when servers get to low pop and we end up without enough people to keep a lvl5 forge for endgame mats?

is it supposed to be a DarkSouls simulator? Grey, misery, and eventually the flames go out across civilisation, as is slowly dwindles to nothing. Maybe, Maybe.
    Anyway, i guess i'm done with it.
    While what you are saying isnt totally without merit, I think you probably havent left the starter zones. Go to ebonscale or edengrove or shattered mountain are all wildly different. I think its also fair to say FFXVI has had a lot longer to polish.

Tbh 120-150hrs to level 60 isnt really that much of a grind compared to most other similar MMOs and you can do it largely just following main yellow/gold quests.

"But if you don't do this, you are behind." Not really. Yellow quests especially the repeatable expedition ones give you many multiples more XP than levelling crafting skills.

Yeah the economics and upkeep is dogshit. Making gold is wildly harder, even through dedicated grinding, than it should be, and spending so much of it on repairs and housing upkeep is really unfair. You are totally right about server pops and upkeep. It's all poorly thought out and in need of a major rebalance patch, but its hardly unfixable.

but its hardly unfixable.
    I suppose this is the exact same argument that comes out every time there is a new MMO:

> This is launch - let us make it better
    < Why didn't it launch as good as $5yearoldgame
    > Because we haven't had 5 years to polish our ideas.
    < But their ideas are 5 years old, surely you have seen them.
    > no you.

I hope they do manage to clean it up, everyone who gets there speaks really highly of the later areas, which is great and shows thought has gone into the high level areas.

So.. apparently you get 10x the gold on the first 3 faction missions of the day.

I did not know that. I thought the bonus was just for the gems/standing. Whoops. Guess I should be running those.

Does anyone know of other systems that input gold into the economy? Ive run out of the previously well paying "Story" missions now.