hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 430 of 433 FirstFirst ... 330380420427428429430431432433 LastLast
Results 8,581 to 8,600 of 8656

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

I think you'll find its Microsoft not handling hot add memory (or CPU) properly is the issue..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

securely change all local admin (renamed) passwords on desktops.
    answers on a postcard

ps. GPO isn't secure :/
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    answers on a postcard

Isn't that what LAPS is all about. Keeps them securely set and you don't need to care about it until you need the password for something.

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    answers on a postcard

Isn't that what LAPS is all about. Keeps them securely set and you don't need to care about it until you need the password for something.
    Code:
    The "Local Administrator Password Solution" (LAPS) provides management of local account passwords of domain joined computers. Passwords are stored in Active Directory (AD) and protected by ACL, so only eligible users can read it or request its reset.
    well fuck me sideways

answers on a postcard

Code:
    The "Local Administrator Password Solution" (LAPS) provides management of local account passwords of domain joined computers. Passwords are stored in Active Directory (AD) and protected by ACL, so only eligible users can read it or request its reset.
    well fuck me sideways
    The things you learn when you are not expecting it. That's is something else to add to the list of un-started and uncompleted projects that is now 2.5 years behind schedule.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Today: unfucking ADFS in prep for a server migration next week, as it's Easter half term.

The current/old ADFS box is on a DC, it was supposed to be temporary and accidentally became live and now has a horrific web of dependencies on it, but 'cos it's a DC can't use WID databases thanks to the lack of a local SAM. The plan is:

- Back up it's ADFS Config using the ADFS Rapid restore tool.
    - Add ADFS roles to a new 2012R2 member server
    - configure the new adfs member server 'properly, then restore the config.
    - build a 2019 adfs server and, join it to the farm.
    - swap the primary to 2019 and retire the adfs2012R2 server(s).

Cya in a few hours.

Nice.. Today I finally worked out enough of how o365 and our ADFS setup interacts to figure out why it sometimes takes a full day after I remove someone from the external access group before they can no longer access their email.. Fuck you default settings.. (I'm not going to change it)

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    ... o365 ... ADFS ... (I'm not going to change it)
    Often a wise move. I've been working with this for nearly 2 years now and am confident enough to try what i'm about to try

edit: fuck just broke one of the server fiddling with TLS lets not do that.

reedit no tls wasn't fucked, but HTTP.SYS was not happy after doing the server dance boogaloo. a bit of fiddling with netsh and it's all fixed and working. rarw.

ugh netsh!
    Last edited by Itiken; April 5 2019 at 12:53:12 PM.

For those wanting an auditable quick fix to the Firefox issue, here's code that'll reset the add-on signing for 24hours.
    In about:config, set
    Code:
    devtools.chrome.enabled;true
    Hit Ctrl+Shift+J to open the Browser Console, with entry field present at the bottom (that's what we just toggled on).
    In it, paste the following code and hit Enter.
    Code:
        // Re-enable *all* extensions

async function set_addons_as_signed() {
            Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIDatabase.jsm");
            Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm");
            let addons = await XPIDatabase.getAddonList(a => true);

for (let addon of addons) {
                // The add-on might have vanished, we'll catch that on the next startup
                if (!addon._sourceBundle.exists())
                    continue;

if( addon.signedState != AddonManager.SIGNEDSTATE_UNKNOWN )
                    continue;

addon.signedState = AddonManager.SIGNEDSTATE_NOT_REQUIRED;
                AddonManagerPrivate.callAddonListeners("onPropertyChanged",
                                                        addon.wrapper,
                                                        ["signedState"]);

await XPIDatabase.updateAddonDisabledState(addon);

}
            XPIDatabase.saveChanges();
        }

set_addons_as_signed();
    Add-ons instantly restored, no need to enable Studies, or wait for Monday official version update, or chase shady .xpi spammed about while validation is not possible.
    There's a longer version of this solution for FF pre v56.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

This one drives me crazy: I had disabled the lockscreen on my (private) Win10 (Prof. edition) machines (who needs that anyway?). Then I received the 1809 update and back is the lock screen. "No biggi", I thought, "just turn it off again." Alas - it doesn't go away this time. I tried both via GPO (gpedit.msc, that is) and directly adding/editing the registry key, to no avail.

Any idea where else to look?

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

On Monday I found out that our open manage install hasn't been keeping up with firmware releases so we haven't been doing any. Looking at updating esx to 6.7u2 and I find out we are supposed to have all these new firmwares on our vsan ready nodes to be supported... Fast forward to today and I'm about half way through updating everything.. I need to keep the drivers in sync with the firmware and I'm only smashing 1 in every reboot (don't want to update everything in one hit only for the box not to boot or something).

I'm actually sort of enjoying this....

Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Well, screw you too, Adobe!
    Is it a middleware thing? Like how people get C&D for running private servers for old dead MMOs?

Adobe isn't saying they'll sue you, just that someone might.

I'll be taking a Windows Admin 1 course this fall, and I'd like to spend part of the summer getting acquainted with Windows Server 2019 beforehand. I have a Coffee Lake system I was required to build for my A+ Hardware class (even though I don't need it), and I was wondering if I could install WS 2019 on it (I can get a key through school). The official system requirements state it needs ECC memory; is this really the case?

I also took a look at r/homelab and it took me all of 2 seconds to determine I am not worthy. I have no idea what pfSense, iDRAC, Veeam, sonarr, nginx, etc are. What's a good guide to help me get acquainted with the products and services mentioned there?

Lastly, besides ECC, redundant power supplies and hot-swappable drives, what features would a R510/520 or R710 server have over a consumer board running a CPU from the same era?
    Last edited by Nordstern; May 25 2019 at 07:51:11 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

You can install the server version of Windows on anything the desktop version runs on. I frequently setup a test lab on. A bunch of 7+ year old desktops and it runs fine (for testing).

Server is basically redundant everything + remote out of band management (in dell's case, drac) + out of band monitoring.

I usually just spin up VMs on my laptop when I need try things. It's not a "true" experience but you usually don't care about hardware anymore beyond whatever the hypervisor is running on. You could even go cloud a definitely not care about the hardware, but I wouldn't go VMs for most things you do in the cloud as it's really expensive.

I usually just spin up VMs on my laptop when I need try things. It's not a "true" experience but you usually don't care about hardware anymore beyond whatever the hypervisor is running on. You could even go cloud a definitely not care about the hardware, but I wouldn't go VMs for most things you do in the cloud as it's really expensive.
    Microsoft will give you a single Azure VM for 12 months for free.. I'm sure that could be useful.

Any one interested or know anyone interested in a tech support job 25k - 30k (at least 5+ years experience in directly applicable roles more if not) able to solo MS server (2008 - 2019) crisis and handle a multisite multi subnet +VLAN network plus O365 and Hyper-v and a few other things like document management system etc.
    Small engineering consultant company (~100 staff may have another growth spurt when assimilation is done) mid Bucks 1 member of IT atm (me!). Plenty of noddy work, laptop builds new users, user hand holding during major issues like Outlook visual updates making it look strange or emails not showing on mobile phone. On the flip side plenty of fun jobs, network was in a right state when I took over and thanks to 100% growth in 2 years is not much better other than a 1.5 years work on the essentials VOIP, Virtualisation network overhaul (not completed).

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    Any one interested or know anyone interested in a tech support job 25k - 30k (at least 5+ years experience in directly applicable roles more if not) able to solo MS server (2008 - 2019) crisis and handle a multisite multi subnet +VLAN network plus O365 and Hyper-v and a few other things like document management system etc.
    Small engineering consultant company (~100 staff may have another growth spurt when assimilation is done) mid Bucks 1 member of IT atm (me!). Plenty of noddy work, laptop builds new users, user hand holding during major issues like Outlook visual updates making it look strange or emails not showing on mobile phone. On the flip side plenty of fun jobs, network was in a right state when I took over and thanks to 100% growth in 2 years is not much better other than a 1.5 years work on the essentials VOIP, Virtualisation network overhaul (not completed).
    Is this a posting for your own job? Because 30k Brexit rubles sounds like a pittance for what you're asking.

25k for that? Are you having an absolute giggle?