hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Star Wars: Squadrons

Every time I see gameplay of this my meh level increases.

Haven't bought or even pirated EA games in a decade. This is looking to break that trend. Really cool game play hopefully plays out. I've told myself it won't but will be excited to be wrong.

Decent job there.

I would much more now want a TV show of this area.
    And from Imperial point of view.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Anyone try this at all?

Well, ive watched some gameplay. It does look pretty X-wing-ish tbh. Point and aim, missile lock-on, inertia steering but no newtonian physics (breaking and turning on a dime), balancing shields and power.

Its easy to forget how simple older games used to be, through rose tinted glasses.

I think the campaign is too short / too much production budget went into on-board cutscenes (which still looks too shiny and bland) as opposed to maps and gameplay. The MP will probably fizzle out in a month or two.

But for a budget price, or if you have a VR + HOTAS setup to really make the most of it, it seems fine.

edit: I figured out what bugged me, the scales feel off. Dunno why, though, maybe its the FOV?
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; October 3 2020 at 05:53:17 AM.

Well HOTAS support currently looks to be bugged with a HUGE deadzone.

The UI icons still look fucking awful / placeholder.

The Elite Dangerous PVP Ganky Wanky Harry Potter was streaming it for a bit. Whilst he is a bit of a prick he's a good pvp pilot.

"Flies like shit. Hit reg is terrible. It feels like its on rails. etc"

It seems to suffer hugely from console game ported to PC syndrome from what Ive seen. Also EA.

Its better than I expected.
    Its reasonably fun.
    I dont mind paying full price because I can comfortably afford it.
    Preying on bads in MP is quite enjoyable.

The balance is off.
    Hit Reg is indeed less than perfect.
    Every. Single. Person. who has reported trying out the VR has said its poorly optimised at best.
    Theres obviously some more content coming gated behind DLC.
    The original design spec blatantly wanted loot boxes but was overhauled (on the battlefront 2 model but massively better).

Its built to be arcadey mass market with a fair shot taken at trying to encourage use of VR, it missed the mark by a mile on the VR, which hurts the rest of the game, but it still manages to be fun.

Sounds fun enough for 20 dollars sale time then. Not bad

Tried the Origin trial - only gets you access to the first two storyline missions, I could play lots of MP but meh.

I was a huge, huge, huge fan of the X-Wing games back in the day, from playing the original on a greyscale laptop with mouse controls all the way through to XWA which is still sat on my PC today (with about a dozen mods, it looks surprisingly good) and Squadrons just didn't grab me in the trial. At all. It looks very pretty and is very highly produced, but it's missing...something. I don't like the new energy system, and 'boost' for engines can get out of fuck town, as can in flight healing (which, at least in the first two missions, seems to be unlimited?). With no rear scanner and no POV movement (at least with an xbox controller - maybe it can be mapped if you use a proper setup with hat switch) it feels really easy to lose track of where you are in a fight

Idk. Maybe I'm rose-tinting XWA, but this didn't grab me. Also my kingdom for a Star Wars videogame not set within 5 years of the original trilogy, or any movie trilogy for that matter.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post

Also my kingdom for a Star Wars videogame not set within 5 years of the original trilogy, or any movie trilogy for that matter.
    That would be dope.

It would also require original writing, which is apparently too hard to pull off even with the budget of episode 7.

When was the last time we got something really original? KOTOR was dope, SWToR too, maybe? I remember my roommate playing a lot of whichever starwars MMO every time they dropped new story content... then leaving it again once he'd played through it.
    Quarantined and loving life.

I would be fine with whatever tie-in, as long as games could get off the rails again.

The best SW game to me, apart from childhood memories of TIE Fighter, was probably Empire at War. Getting dragged through some "cinematic storytelling" with zero player agency just doesnt do it for me, and MP is a poor substitute.