hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Microsoft Flightsim

^^ At 6:21 taking off from Innsbruck looks insanely real
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

This looks excellent.

On gamepass too, which is extra crazy

Between this and star wars squadron, I'm honestly considering getting some sort of vr.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Between this and star wars squadron, I'm honestly considering getting some sort of vr.
    Reverb 2 is the only headset rated for MS Flight Sim, apparently. Currently in preorder for $600.

It’s got lenses from the Valve Index (collab with Valve), a higher res panel than the Index, but WMR optical tracking and controllers (not as good as Index).

But if you want some really good VR flying...

Interestingly the dev here (solo project) started as a modder for Kerbal Space Program; he made a bunch of the popular airplane/military part mods.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; August 7 2020 at 06:32:53 PM.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Reverb 2 is the only headset rated for MS Flight Sim, apparently. Currently in preorder for $600.

It’s got lenses from the Valve Index (collab with Valve), a higher res panel than the Index, but WMR optical tracking and controllers (not as good as Index).
    Reverb 2 is the only one with official announced support, but it's likely to support much more VR glasses out of the gate when the VR update drops.

Lenses aren't necessarily the best part of the Index (not the worst either). Reverb 1 and 2 do have a higher resolution than the Index (2160x2160 vs 1440x1600 per eye) which is nice for simming, but they also have a much lower refresh rate than the Index (90Hz vs 144Hz) which hurts immersion and VR sickness. So it's a bit of a toss-up which glasses are "the best" for simming.

If you also want to play games like Beat Saber and Half-Life: ALyx and can afford it (and have a proper space for it) get the Index, it'll be much better. In both cases you'll need a beast of a GPU, best to wait a few months to upgrade if you don't already have one, new video cards are coming.

They're starting with Reverb 2, but MS has already confirmed that they will follow with support for "all the common ones" a few months after that. Source
    Last edited by morpheps; August 8 2020 at 06:56:39 PM.

Ah, cool!

I am quite happy with my Index, but more pixels are welcome. I don’t know that I’m keen on annual updates for my headset though.

My experience with VR over the past 15 months leads me to think that varifocal optics are the next key tech development; my only discomfort from using VR comes from vergence/accommodation conflict caused by looking at “close” objects that are actually focused at infinity; gives me a headache after a while. Not so bad on things that keep me looking in the distance, but sims can get headaches with all the switching back between distant and close objects.

Sadly only Facebook appears to be working on varifocal displays, and I am not interested in giving them money or data.

Probably going to have to wait for someone to make a working light-field-display headset...
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; August 8 2020 at 05:08:08 PM.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Ah, cool!

I am quite happy with my Index, but more pixels are welcome. I don’t know that I’m keen on annual updates for my headset though.

My experience with VR over the past 15 months leads me to think that varifocal optics are the next key tech development; my only discomfort from using VR comes from vergence/accommodation conflict caused by looking at “close” objects that are actually focused at infinity; gives me a headache after a while. Not so bad on things that keep me looking in the distance, but sims can get headaches with all the switching back between distant and close objects.

Sadly only Facebook appears to be working on varifocal displays, and I am not interested in giving them money or data.

Probably going to have to wait for someone to make a working light-field-display headset...
    Looks at the constant Apple rumors

Yeah but what are the odds the rumored Apple light field headset will work with SteamVR?

Yeah but what are the odds the rumored Apple light field headset will work with SteamVR?
    Seems stupid to develop a VR-headset and not suppor the largest marketplace for VR-games?

Steam is on Mac and probably just as successful as it is on windows.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Gaming on Mac is dying afaik, because Apple doesn't want to support a couple of "older" cross-platform APIs any more. I've seen several games I own discontinue their Mac support in the last years. Of the 80k games on Steam only 25k support the Mac. Which is still a bit more than the 15k that officially support Linux, but there you have various unofficial options to get stuff working.

Tapapapatalk
    Successful in relation to what? According to the latest Steam Hardware Survey Windows 7 has more users than Mac. Sure, Steam is successful on Mac, but in terms of potential customers, the Windows platform is itsy bisty larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Gaming on Mac is dying afaik, because Apple doesn't want to support a couple of "older" cross-platform APIs any more. I've seen several games I own discontinue their Mac support in the last years. Of the 80k games on Steam only 25k support the Mac. Which is still a bit more than the 15k that officially support Linux, but there you have various unofficial options to get stuff working.
    The move to 64 bit only broke tons of games, including Civ6, which was a bit irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post

Tapapapatalk
    Successful in relation to what? According to the latest Steam Hardware Survey Windows 7 has more users than Mac. Sure, Steam is successful on Mac, but in terms of potential customers, the Windows platform is itsy bisty larger.
    I'm sure the relation between windows 7 installs of steam and windows 7 installs in total is similar to the number of steam installs on Mac and macs sold in total.

To point out that Apple is a niche market is like saying the sky is blue.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Well, I'm not the one that brought Mac and Steams success into the discussion, so.. I guess we agree that it would be a stupid move from Apple not to support VR headsets on PC?

Honestly I think it's more likely that if Apple were to do anything VR related it would probably be more business oriented than gaming oriented.

Apple VR/AR will be it’s own thing. Maybe someone comes up with a hack to make their glasses/headset work in SteamVR, but I’d be surprised if there’s native Windows SteamVR support.

This vid made me very opposed to the Standard, Deluxe & Premium Deluxe version.
    Bullshit business model!

Not so strange for the flightsim world. It's normal for simmers to drop hundreds of dollars (or more) on their sim of choice and tons of 3rd party add-ons.

Don't forget that all the airports in the world are included in the standard version, they're just not as pretty as the ones in the more expensive bundles. I've yet to see a proper comparison (same airport with/without deluxe) but haven't really looked in to it yet. So "moar planes" is mostly what you get from the more expensive options, and you can probably buy individual planes soon from 3rd party suppliers as well.