hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 184 of 185 FirstFirst ... 84134174181182183184185 LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,680 of 3689

Thread: GENERAL NFL THREAD (handegghandegghandegg)

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    To do the same understudy thing we had with Favre and Rodgers, but seems a little surprising to do it this year. I guess theres enough choices at other positions that they can be taken later.
    Rodgers was a much better bet coming out of college. This move is just silly unless they expect Rodgers to fall off a cliff in the next two seasons.
    Quarantined and loving life.

Well at least he's probably a better QB than Trubisky still.

edit: I bet Alistair is happy though, the Jets have had a decent draft.

I'm still not quite sure what the plan is for the Packers unless they've found an completely unknown wide receiver from a bible college nobody else has heard of.
    Last edited by Keckers; April 25 2020 at 10:58:05 AM.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

If you think the Packers pick of QB at 1st is strange, the Eagles pick of QB at 2nd round is even stranger IMHO.

The PFF guys sarcastically commented in their day 1 review podcast that the Packers clearly drafted Love to make Rogders rage and then will go "I gonna show ya who's the boss!" :shakes fists:

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    If you think the Packers pick of QB at 1st is strange, the Eagles pick of QB at 2nd round is even stranger IMHO.
    Is McCown still on the Eagles' roster? If not, this would make sense.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Vkings draft so far. Covered their needs, played the draft board/picks trade quite well.

Found this one for you two:
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; April 25 2020 at 02:53:27 PM.

Packers signed WR Darrell Stewart from Michigan state. He has a good highlight reel I guess.

All that remains to be seen is if the defense has learned to stop the run...
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Dolphins draft was pretty good, getting Tua without giving anything to move up was an excellent result. Whether it is the best move to have made will remain to be seen but you have to take a chance on a potential frnachise QB when it falls into your lap

I agree that the Dolphins did a good job.

As for Tua: just like Jackson did from his first to his second season, he needs to learn to take less risks, i.e. don't hold onto the ball as long as he did in college and which caused him his two ankles injuries. If he does that, he should be OK health-wise. Disregarding any potential sleeper down the pick lane, he's way more talented than any of the later drafted top-rated QBs (Herbert, Love, Hurts etc.).

What I (again) find interesting: after the free agency and the draft, a lot of teams on paper look a lot stronger than the year before, e.g. the Broncos, Cowboys. And the 49ers. The 49ers for me made the best moves so far this off-season.

But I had that same impression of other teams last year, which then totally fell apart once we were 2-3 weeks into the season. *cough*...Browns...*cough*...

In a period where I cannot fathom the stupidity of my countrymen (and women), at least there is ONE little thing I can take pleasure in: The end of the name "Redskins" in NFL football.

Finally it seems, Dan Snyder and the club are forced to change it. Long, LONG overdue.

I am sure the replacement name will suck hard, and the crappy colors will stay, but for the first time I see a future where I might also be able to root for my local NFL team.

Please, God, don't let them pick "Warriors" or retain all the N.A. imagery ffs.

Washington Blackskins

ayyyyy
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    In a period where I cannot fathom the stupidity of my countrymen (and women), at least there is ONE little thing I can take pleasure in: The end of the name "Redskins" in NFL football.

Finally it seems, Dan Snyder and the club are forced to change it. Long, LONG overdue.
    Yepp, was about time. And yet again ethics had no matter in this, but its a purely profit-driven "insight". Nike delisted all of WAS merch, FedEx threatend to pull out and so on.

Please, God, don't let them pick "Warriors" or retain all the N.A. imagery ffs.
    Warriors kinda makes sense, as I've heard they already own that trademark/right to the name and they could reuse older logos like the bow & dart one. I personally don't think keeping the NA stuff around is a bad thing, if they turn it into a proper "memorial" kinda direction. Which would also kinda make them acknowledge their terrible past with the current name.

The most interesting suggestion I heard flying around though is Washington Red Tails

Yeah, this also happened in Washington: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ally-harassed/

Original WaPo article is pay-walled, but there's plenty of other pieces flying around, e.g. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/s...an-snyder.html

First accussations were published in 2018 by the NYT and the current WaPo article seems to harden the facts around this and reveal that it has been an ongoing thing:

The [WaPo] article detailed numerous allegations of sexual harassment, misconduct and abusive behavior by several team executives and football personnel over more than a dozen years. Male executives, the women said, commented repeatedly on their looks, sent them inappropriate text messages and pursued unwanted relationships.

It's so sad that Washington football fans seem more upset about losing the racist name, than they are about the rampant abuse of women by the team.

If ever there was a "FHC were right all along" moment, it's been the last few weeks of reading and debating the Skins fans and general NFL fans on these topics.

I always thought NFL had a fanbase roughly as shitty as Nascar. Sadly I was right.

The pearl clutching in Kansas City over the chiefs has been interesting to listen to as well.

It's certainly not as mainstream as Washington (perhaps since they won the title earlier this year) but the local npr station was doing a program and many voices were deflecting the 'chiefs' name, since technically it was to honor former mayor H Roe Bartle (The Chief).

Spoiler:
    The irony being that the 'Chief' title was due to his association with the Tribe of Mic-O-Say, a Boy Scout honor society. Except it is not the national honor society, the Order of the Arrow, it is local to only the Heart of America Council. Unironically the Order of the Arrow cut out all the 'offensive' Native American references several years ago, while the Mic-O-Say have not.
      Spoiler:
    If you dove this deep into the rabbit hole, the other interesting thing is how divisive the tribe of Mic-O-Say is within the Council, as many individuals laud how it helps retain boys. The detractors explain how it tries to pre-empt the actual Boy Scout honor society, OA, and how it both tries to make itself more important than actual Scouting rank advancement, and at the same time usurp the fundamental principle of Scouting, that it is run by the youths with adult leaders acting in advisory roles; they explain that many of the leaders enjoy Mic-O-Say as it lets them remain relevant and hold positions of power/feelings of self-importance while dressing up in pseudo native garb. Not to mention that the Scout reservation in Kansas (Theodore Naish Scout Reservation) had to bail out the Missouri reservation (H Roe Bartle Scout Ranch) financially when the former Kaw council merged with the Kansas City Area council.

A large number of Kansas City residents gloss over all the improper native appropriation, like the Tomahawk Chop, or the wearing of headdresses/other garb, and channel their inner 'Border Ruffian' perspective waging war against the evil Jayhawkers trying to steal their cultural appropriation away from their team.

Taken to the extreme we get all the NFL football teams named after animals, and then Peta gets all upset and we name all the teams after colors. The the inference about differing colors reflecting different human tribes/clades, so they have to use a wavelength number to specify.

I'm headed over to kickstarter to champion Washington being renamed the Ultraviolets (322 nm).

American team names are all bizarre creations of marketing departments anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    American team names are all bizarre creations of marketing departments anyway.
    Huh?

The Minneapolis Lakers moved to LA where there are no lakes. The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil. The Raiders moved from Oakland to LA and then back again, nobody seemed to care. And the New Orleans Jazz move to Utah where no music is allowed.

From the start of Baseketball (canít remember it fully though)
    If money was a chicken, would the chicken be evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Pirate View Post
    The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil.
    They at least recognized that fact and rebranded to Titans.

PFT keeps track of players who pulled the opt-out season card*) due to COVID-49 card: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-opt-out-list/

The list so far in chronological order:

Chiefs offensive lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.
    Ravens kick returner De'Anthony Thomas.
    Seahawks offensive lineman Chance Warmack.
    Cowboys cornerback Maurice Canady.
    Patriots fullback Danny Vitale.
    Washington defenive lineman Caleb Brantley.
    Patriots guard Najee Toran.
    Patriots offensive lineman Marcus Cannon.
    Patriots linebacker Dont’a Hightower.
    Patriots linebacker Brandon Bolden.
    Ravens offensive lineman Andre Smith.
    Cowboys wide receiver Stephen Guidry.
    Texans defensive tackle Eddie Vanderdoes.
    Broncos defensive tackle Kyle Peko.

Two notes:

1) the first player to opt-out, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, who is a doctor, BTW, has put up a remarkable statement about it: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...40090430509062

2) Of 14 players above, 5 are from the Pats.

*) Players can opt-out of playing this season, with the contract being left intact as it is, They receive a base salary of 150k USD (IIRC) for this season as an upfront payment deductable from their next year's salary. They need to declare opting-out 'til 3rd August. Once done, they can't change their mind and get in again.

And in other news: already the first staff members & players have been placed on the IR/COVID-19 list, e.g. for the Vikings it's 5 people (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tin-jefferson/). Ironically enough the first on the list was Vice president of sports medicine Eric Sugarman, the Vikings "Corona Control Officer". As far as players goes, 1st round pick and hopefully-Stefon-Diggs-replacement Justin Jefferson is on the list, too. And this happened before the veterans even have checked in.

There's an interesting question wobbling around the sports radio hosts: What if more or less all the starters of a positional unit are infected? E.g. the O line. Should the league insist on still playing the game, with your punter and kicker acting as Gs and Ts? Or should it be postponed? Initially my thought was "Postpone it, no one wants to see the ensuing rofl-stomp". But then I remembered the last season and the Eagles basically with no WR on their active roster. And no one even thought about postponing those games.
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; July 28 2020 at 03:53:29 PM.