hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 736 of 828 FirstFirst ... 236636686726733734735736737738739746786 ... LastLast
Results 14,701 to 14,720 of 16548

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

I do find Yang to be more of a libertarian than a leftist.

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    I do find Yang to be more of a libertarian than a leftist.
    Bingo, a lolbertarian offering UBI so that impoverished masses don't grab them pitchforks is still a libertarian.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Do you even... know the meaning of words you keep using?

UBI is a bigger concession to the plutocracy and landlord class who are concerned with declining demand and consumer base than a concession to the working class who just want some free time to pursue authentic experiences and hobbies.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

You're letting perfect be the enemy of the good.

UBI isn't the endgame, but it's a very important step in decoupling the idea that work is everything that defines people's worth.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

And that's how western civilization falls. I, for one, welcome our new chineese overlords that find those notions laughable, if not downright insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    UBI is a bigger concession to the plutocracy and landlord class who are concerned with declining demand and consumer base than a concession to the working class who just want some free time to pursue authentic experiences and hobbies.
    Who said anything about stopping after getting UBI?

Spoiler:
    I'd love UBI tho, it would let me concentrate on my photography full time

Its the perfect strategy, bitch about anything not perfect, to make sure nothing changes and you can keep bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    You're letting perfect be the enemy of the good.

UBI isn't the endgame, but it's a very important step in decoupling the idea that work is everything that defines people's worth.
    the vast majority of proposed UBI implementations aren't good.

they are mostly like the "green" policies pursued currently, whole lotta smoke to make people uncomfortable, and nothing much that actually matters in the grand scheme of things because that would hurt the poor widdle captains of industry!
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Its the perfect strategy, bitch about anything not perfect, to make sure nothing changes and you can keep bitching.
    As if people bitching on the internet have any power or influence over policymakers. They'll do whatever their donors tell them to, not the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    As if people bitching on the internet have any power or influence over policymakers. They'll do whatever their donors tell them to, not the people.
    I like that you live in a world were the shadow people control your every move.

I'm fairly sure about 60% of the population are primarily controlled by their ad recommendations
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

I'm fairly sure about 60% of the population are primarily controlled by their ad recommendations
    Speaking of, nothing new but it always hit when actually explored.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/24/o...n-boomers.html

What Facebook Fed the Baby Boomers
    Many Americans’ feeds are nightmares. I know because I spent weeks living inside two of them.
    Fairly lengthy article about the observations.

But clearly we can't take facebook google etc. to be responsible for any of it. That's just insanity isn't it.

Not my moves, simply the moves of public officials. And they're not shadow people, they're corporate lobbyists and billionaires, the American oligarchs.

It's cute how hopelessly na´ve and optimistic you are. They don't give shit about what people like you or me want, and they especially don't care how many angry tweets or pointless internet essays are written.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Yeah, turn the other cheek so they keep beating you and laughing.

Thing is, I've seen how quickly racists abandon their beliefs when they start being persecuted for them.
    Yeah it's all fun and games and a fine day out for the family when they're the ones chanting Juden raus!

As soon as there's the remotest prospect that the jackboot's on the other foot, the squeaking about rights and equality and process starts instantly
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

There's no shadow people, it's just a hegemonic ideology that's right out in the open, and through a number of mechanisms it narrows the range of electoral choices down to medium or severe levels of extraction.

You say that, but I'm not too proud to turn it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

UBI is just one policy, and not a very good one at the end of the day. Proto-UBI was effectively proposed for the rona as an emergency measure to just give people money until the crisis ended.

But... in the long-term it would be irrelevant without an all-out attack on rents, monopsony, and working-class antagonists like payday lenders.

So nice that you got a $1,000 check, you can then make a choice on which rent you would like to put that $1,000 into, and it's very interesting that United Health hiked their premiums a couple months after the UBI bill passed

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    UBI is just one policy, and not a very good one at the end of the day. Proto-UBI was effectively proposed for the rona as an emergency measure to just give people money until the crisis ended.

But... in the long-term it would be irrelevant without an all-out attack on rents, monopsony, and working-class antagonists like payday lenders.

So nice that you got a $1,000 check, you can then make a choice on which rent you would like to put that $1,000 into, and it's very interesting that United Health hiked their premiums a couple months after the UBI bill passed
    You will not get anywhere without free at the point of purchase healthcare in the US, that isn't tied to good employment, and without a cost of living cap so that can be matched + economic stimulus benefit = UBI. The cost of living cap could be subsidized rent chits, or caps with fair market rate adjustments. I think you can get the first, but more or less never the second in the US while the well remains so poisonous.
    meh