hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 645 of 817 FirstFirst ... 145545595635642643644645646647648655695745 ... LastLast
Results 12,881 to 12,900 of 16327

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Having Lark blocked is a blessing I rarely use on this forum, but considering Meester was saying all the things he believes and now he needs to say it to have it voiced here, it's a blessing I'd suggest taking.

Also the guy isn't an anarchist, pretty clear where his loyalties lie.
    Do Far-Right Militant Coup-launching Fascists usually have Anarchist Flags in the bedrooms?

Legit curious, I don't really know any of these types (not quite as common in the DC burbs').

More curious who that band T-shirt is, never heard of "Mote Eternol (sp?)"
    First and foremost he's an idiot, so I doubt t the nuances of what different government systems and ideals are matter much to be honest. The shirt is confusing as is that random US flag variant.

Having Lark blocked is a blessing I rarely use on this forum, but considering Meester was saying all the things he believes and now he needs to say it to have it voiced here, it's a blessing I'd suggest taking.

Also the guy isn't an anarchist, pretty clear where his loyalties lie.
    Do Far-Right Militant Coup-launching Fascists usually have Anarchist Flags in the bedrooms?

Legit curious, I don't really know any of these types (not quite as common in the DC burbs').

More curious who that band T-shirt is, never heard of "Mote Eternol (sp?)"
    I mean lets be honest.

"Let's kidnap the governor" doesn't seem like the realm of the most ideologically cogent people.

THe band shirt doesn't have enough exposure to exist in a google search sense, so, probably friends/his band from high school or something, if it's even a band and not some other thing.
    meh

Hate Eternal is a death metal band from St. Petersburg, Florida.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Plans to kidnap Whitmer, overthrow government spoiled, officials say

The FBI says it thwarted what it described as a plot to violently overthrow the government and*kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer
    A foretaste to what's brewing after the election at the hands of his own personal Schutzstaffel militia if Trump looses ?
    Last edited by helgur; October 9 2020 at 12:10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Yeah this is kind of handwavey. How do you enforce a Trump "win" where Biden is up by 8-10 points? He can't tweet and rally his way through this. To enforce that kind of "win", you will need a mass deployment of the military, don't try to pretend otherwise.

I'd agree with the risk if Biden was 2+ in polls, but there's far too much risk associated with these games now. Only his very psychotic and deranged inner circle would make a play for what you describe. Most of the people he would actually need (the joint chiefs, deep state, law enforcement) will just quietly slink away while he rants.
    *dons Mussolini hat*

you fuck with the election as hard as you can and secure yet another minority-electoral-college-win.
    if he cannot win outright that way, and its increasingly likely he cant, a contested result, ideally one that is fought over hard and dirty is the preferred outcome. he doesn't need the military, or the militias in the street, if the outcome is both sides view themselves as the winners he's in a contest of wills with the Democratic elite who have about as much spine as a wet toilet roll. it's a reasonable gamble that, given the choice between disintegrating the system, and backing down, they will back down in order to maintain the system. consider the stakes of either side, Trump is a obvious narcissist, he doesn't give two shits as long as he wins while the democrats very much do care. that means that, as long as he's got the legitimacy to pull it off, he's going to be willing to go further than they are.

the apparatus of state is beholden to the winner, absent a winner short term, it simply "checks out" and tries to be a neutral party barring any overt attempt at seizing power. the armed forces want precisely nothing to do with this clusterfuck unless it gets entirely out of hand, the "state machinery" such as law enforcement just keeps ticking away in the background doing its thing, of course when it comes to law enforcement specifically, they lean heavy authoritarian and will, generally speaking, rally to Trump as the sitting president. this in practice means that the protesting we've seen so far would be a the warm-up for the main event.

the Limbo period, where neither side backs down and accepts defeat is the most challenging one to navigate, but its important to note that riots, burning police precincts (for president!) and so forth would very much work in his favour as it adds pressure on the democrats to "compromise a solution" since they've taken a hard "riots aren't legitimate!" stance. throughout he's going to, probably ineffectually, demand intervention, his base is going to see it as him looking out for their interests, and the other side are going to decry it as the acts of a would-be dictator. suburban America is, predictably, going to shit their breeches over actual violent protesting and riots and lean hard authoritarian this being the only demographic that matters electorally, they're also the only ones that matter when it comes to the perceived public support, so Democratic support is likely to be declining as it goes on. the main risk is that either it blows up in his face and becomes a full on armed insurrection with a disintegrating and splintered military, or the military steps in and deflates the pressure cooker early. neither being good outcomes in terms of future political stability.

The arbiter of this shitshow, is of course the courts but the US has the politicized court system, that is likely to be leaning in Trump's favour, that adds spice to the mix but the recent bollocks over the court nomination has eroded its credibility significantly especially if they manage to seat Barrett. the outcome, and the enforcement of said outcome falls to the state, ultimately to the extend that the insurrection act is dragged out and used if required.

of course, if the gap is too big to argue that the DEMONcrats stole the election, the whole thing fizzles and he's likely to spend his remaining life in jail.

another, exceedingly unlikely possibility the Democrats shock the world by getting together with the "deep state" and stage a outright counter-coup in response to his attempted fuckery, it's the reasonable, rational response so i do not expect it to happen.
    I absolutely believe he could steal it... in certain conditions, but it all requires so many things to work in favor for him. It's thousands of moving parts at the federal, state, and local level. The majority of the population would need a significant threat or inducement to go along with it, and I don't see that happening without soldiers on the street corners or him personally handing out bags of $10,000 stimulus checks.

You have to look critically at how invested the non-MAGA GOP politicians are. People like Mitch McConnell or his donors. They like Trump because they can fast-track judges and strip away more regulations. But do they want to turn this thing upside down? Something that already works pretty good for them? I genuinely think they would, but it all depends on the margin/situation. If Biden's win is too convincing, it just won't happen. Things are very good for them, so why invite the pitchforks. Sleepy Joe will put everyone back to sleep, he's not a threat to them.

And the federal level courts still feel they need to have some legitimacy because they're the highest and most visible courts. The SC will not give Trump a win if Biden won by convincing margin. It's too cartoonishly undemocratic when they could just keep approving pipelines and smashing unions without anyone noticing.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post

The FBI says it thwarted what it described as a plot to violently overthrow the government and*kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer
    A foretaste to what's brewing after the election at the hands of his own personal Schutzstaffel militia if Trump looses ?
    After reading that article, they seem more aligned with Antifa and anarchists than Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbeast View Post

After reading that article, they seem more aligned with Antifa and anarchists than Trump.
    Yes I'm sure that appeals to you lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post

Hate Eternal is a death metal band from St. Petersburg, Florida.
    My god, a Tampa death metal band, what jewels have they made.

Caserta, 32, of Canton Township, posted several videos on TikTok, including one in which he is wearing a Hawaiian shirt, the trademark clothing of members of the antigovernment boogaloo movement.

“The price of freedom is eternal vigilance,” Caserta said in one video. “And indifference to this notion is the means by which the people can and will secure their own oppression. Wake the f--- up.”
    totally.
    meh

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar

You seem confused

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar

do you even know what antifa stands for
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

By that logic, the DPRK is totally a Democratic Republic.

The suspects are alleged to have called on the groups’ members to identify the home addresses of law enforcement officers in order to target them; made threats of violence to instigate a civil war leading to societal collapse; and engaged in the planning and training for an operation to attack the state Capitol building and kidnap government officials, including Whitmer, according to a statement from Nessel's office.

“There has been a disturbing increase in anti-government rhetoric and the re-emergence of groups that embrace extremist ideologies,” Nessel said.
    Silly me. Clearly Trump supporters...
    Last edited by Dogbeast; October 9 2020 at 05:57:56 AM.

The suspects are alleged to have called on the groups’ members to identify the home addresses of law enforcement officers in order to target them; made threats of violence to instigate a civil war leading to societal collapse; and engaged in the planning and training for an operation to attack the state Capitol building and kidnap government officials, including Whitmer, according to a statement from Nessel's office.

“There has been a disturbing increase in anti-government rhetoric and the re-emergence of groups that embrace extremist ideologies,” Nessel said.
    that's a picture of an anarchist, literally nothing in that quote describes what Antifa do, what the living fuck are you on about
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

"Buht tve flag says AAAh!"

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Feds honeypotted some retards and busted them.

Many such cases.
    Never thought I'd say this, but I'm with Lark on this one.

The Feds have a long history of finding saddos, encouraging and enabling them to commit violent crimes, then busting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I bet if you were a small country in a future soon-to-be-Unified-into-one-nation-EU, you'd want the same system. Not because you "hate democracy", but because each State has it's own interests and doesn't want to be left out in the cold and forgotten in a system that only serves New York, California and Texas and a few others and ignores the interests of the other 43 or so states.
    The EU basically already has that. E.g. the seats of the European Parliament for each country aren't distributed according to the population of the EU countries. There's lots that plays into this, but the major part is how the seats are distributed among the countries:

Quote Originally Posted by TFA
    Die wichtigste Stimmenunwucht geht auf die Zahl der Abgeordneten zurück, die jedes Land ins Europaparlament entsenden darf. Bei der Zuteilung der insgesamt 751 Abgeordneten fehlt jede Verhältnismäßigkeit. Deutschland stehen mit 82 Millionen Einwohnern nur 96 Abgeordnete zu, Kleinstaaten wie Malta oder Zypern sechs.
    Source (German, obviously)

Of the 751 available seats (of the 2019 election), 96 seats belong to Germany (pop. ~ 82 million), whereas e.g. 6 seats each belong to Malta (pop. ~ 502,000) and Cyprus (pop. ~ 848,000)

Similar for the EU commission: each country gets to provide one commisioner.
    the commissioner system is unironically awful though.
    Well it does seem to mimic the US Senate a bit, doesn't it?
    yes, except its worse.
    Agreed. Especially since they have to make up new commissioner positions to accomodate any new member joining, e.g. "the Great EU Expansion" of 2014. There are only so many meaningful commissioner / minister jobs in any government

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    On behalf of the Norwegian people, we are truly sorry that this muppet was ever elected but what can you do. As a sidenote, this is actually one of the more intelligent things to come from him (Tybring-Gjedde), and that's saying something.
    "Trump nominated for Nobel Peace Prize by Norwegian official, citing Israel-UAE peace deal"

Ok i guess, if anything it just is a signal from the Arab nations that they're done pretending to care about Palestinians.
    Wait, havent someone gotten it for that exact reason once before?

Also ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!!? Sadly the quality of Peace prize nominees and winners have gone downhill for quite some time generally speaking, but this, this is some next level shit. #insanesttimeline
    I'm happy to report that he didn't get it.. *puh*

Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm with Lark on this one.

The Feds have a long history of finding saddos, encouraging and enabling them to commit violent crimes, then busting them.
    One of the most important features of capitalism is the drive to create demand where none would exist.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

I mean just because he's not the same breed of Trump supporter you and Lark are doesn't mean he doesn't count.

I mean just because he's not the same breed of Trump supporter you and Lark are doesn't mean he doesn't count.
    >Denounces Trump/Police/Government
    >Is still a Trump supporter