hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 642 of 736 FirstFirst ... 142542592632639640641642643644645652692 ... LastLast
Results 12,821 to 12,840 of 14714

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    "I don't have a job, my relatives are dead, and I can't go anywhere or do anything. But you know what, this Clinton email stuff means I got to vote for this guy"
    Wouldn't be too different than things were in 2016 when everyone was predicting that Clinton had from 76% up to 99.9% chance of winning, and agreed she won at least 2 of the 3 presidential debates. And the right people voted not as expected but for the "man of the people" (Born billionaire who literally lives in a gold plated penthouse but he will somehow clear up the swamp...).

Electoral college working exactly as intended!

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    "I don't have a job, my relatives are dead, and I can't go anywhere or do anything. But you know what, this Clinton email stuff means I got to vote for this guy"
    Wouldn't be too different than things were in 2016 when everyone was predicting that Clinton had from 76% up to 99.9% chance of winning, and agreed she won at least 2 of the 3 presidential debates. And the right people voted not as expected but for the "man of the people" (Born billionaire who literally lives in a gold plated penthouse but he will somehow clear up the swamp...).

Yeah, but now we know how Trump actually governs, to use the term generously. In 2016, people may have believed his campaign promises.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

The whole polls before elections thing might have been a double edged sword tbh.

Aside from the fact that the pollsters might have been biased in the sample population they were calling, I'm guessing more than a few Dem oriented voters saw the polls, read "Clinton wins 97%" and thought to themselves "well then it's a sure thing, might as well go do something else more fun/productive on voting day" and voila.

Fuck polls. Only results matter.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post

Yeah, but now we know how Trump actually governs, to use the term generously. In 2016, people may have believed his campaign promises.
    But its not his fault! He has accomplished so much! Promises he has failed to deliver are because of the "Deep State(tm)" and Senate and Congress Democrats sabotaging him, and because of riots. And, depending on how deep you go into the rabbit hole of MAGA, because of (((them))) doing their best to sabotage The Donald. You must give him 4 more years, surely then he will deliver his promises.

Greetings from Serbia, where ruling party has 76% support on the polls, has more people being actual party members than KPY had and is still blaming all of its failings on damage and sabotage of actually pro EU liberals who lost power in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post

But its not his fault! He has accomplished so much! Promises he has failed to deliver are because of the "Deep State(tm)" and Senate and Congress Democrats sabotaging him, and because of riots. And, depending on how deep you go into the rabbit hole of MAGA, because of (((them))) doing their best to sabotage The Donald. You must give him 4 more years, surely then he will deliver his promises.

Greetings from Serbia, where ruling party has 76% support on the polls, has more people being actual party members than KPY had and is still blaming all of its failings on damage and sabotage of actually pro EU liberals who lost power in 2013.
    Yeah, the difference is the number of people who actual do support, blindly, Trump and the current GOP. It has inflated influence due to gerrymandering, etc, but is far smaller than Dem + the others who vote.

The others who vote are what wins elections, and there is only so far republican tampering can push that. The unmitigated chaos that Trump's presidency has been has energised people.

I'm not saying they can't or won't try to fuck with the vote, but they are a minority of the population, and they'd have to tip it reaaaaally far to successfully pull that off, and we don't have a great deal of evidence that they are that successful at doing things.
    meh

Once again and again and again. It does not matter if Biden ends up having 5 million more votes than Trump in California and New York (and likewise for Trump in Texas) if Trump gets 1 single vote more in Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Arizona and North Carolina each. (looking at current swing states on 538)

Though it is something that Democrats will have to face after the elections, if they are not truly just a controlled opposition. If Trump does win the election he will certainly do it without winning the (legally and functionally meaningless) popular vote. That would have the Republicans controlling the presidency for 16 years total between 2000 and 2024 while winning the popular vote only a single time.

Once again and again and again. It does not matter if Biden ends up having 5 million more votes than Trump in California and New York (and likewise for Trump in Texas) if Trump gets 1 single vote more in Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Arizona and North Carolina each. (looking at current swing states on 538)

Though it is something that Democrats will have to face after the elections, if they are not truly just a controlled opposition. If Trump does win the election he will certainly do it without winning the (legally and functionally meaningless) popular vote. That would have the Republicans controlling the presidency for 16 years total between 2000 and 2024 while winning the popular vote only a single time.
    The fundamental issue with the american political system, and how badly it represents what the people actually want.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

The fundamental issue with the american political system, and how badly it represents what the people actually want.
    And it is again by the design. The saintly and hallowed Founding Fathers wanted to keep the power in the hands of rich protestant landowning nobility, even when creating a democratic republic.

And it is again by the design. The saintly and hallowed Founding Fathers wanted to keep the power in the hands of rich protestant landowning nobility, even when creating a democratic republic.
    And it includes the method to correct this. The real issue is that it's convenient to treat the constitution like stone tablets for a lot of the political class. We could cancel the second amendment tomorrow if we really wanted to.
    meh

And it includes the method to correct this. The real issue is that it's convenient to treat the constitution like stone tablets for a lot of the political class. We could cancel the second amendment tomorrow if we really wanted to.
    I can understand having weighted votes for smaller / less populous states, EU has a lot of that too, but one thing I can't understand the reasoning for is why do you get 100% of votes from a state if you win by even one vote. Just split the electors by vote percentage...

1. Not designed to "represent what the people want". It's designed to represent what the 50 States want. The States are the sovereign powers, which makes sense when you think that the U.S. was formed out of 13 independent colonies all looking out for themselves first and foremost.

I bet if you were a small country in a future soon-to-be-Unified-into-one-nation-EU, you'd want the same system. Not because you "hate democracy", but because each State has it's own interests and doesn't want to be left out in the cold and forgotten in a system that only serves New York, California and Texas and a few others and ignores the interests of the other 43 or so states.

2. You're 100% right, we possess, today, the mechanic to fix any and all of these issues, if we agree enough to do so. We've amended the Constitution many times, we can (and should) do so again when needed.

The challenge is agreement. And I don't think you're going to get 50 states to agree to disenfranchise 43 of them and hand all US political power to the aforementioned 5-7 States.

And yes, we could repeal the 2nd Amendment. You just need 2/3 of the House and Senate and then 3/4 of the States. So sadly, being "correct" isn't enough, you actually have to convince people you're correct.

Triple the size of the House, get the number of constituents per representative down to something a bit more human-scale. This would pretty much fix the electoral college imbalance/overrepresentation problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

1. Not designed to "represent what the people want". It's designed to represent what the 50 States want. The States are the sovereign powers, which makes sense when you think that the U.S. was formed out of 13 independent colonies all looking out for themselves first and foremost.

I bet if you were a small country in a future soon-to-be-Unified-into-one-nation-EU, you'd want the same system. Not because you "hate democracy", but because each State has it's own interests and doesn't want to be left out in the cold and forgotten in a system that only serves New York, California and Texas and a few others and ignores the interests of the other 43 or so states.

2. You're 100% right, we possess, today, the mechanic to fix any and all of these issues, if we agree enough to do so. We've amended the Constitution many times, we can (and should) do so again when needed.

The challenge is agreement. And I don't think you're going to get 50 states to agree to disenfranchise 43 of them and hand all US political power to the aforementioned 5-7 States.

And yes, we could repeal the 2nd Amendment. You just need 2/3 of the House and Senate and then 3/4 of the States. So sadly, being "correct" isn't enough, you actually have to convince people you're correct.
    It was designed to represent what 13 states wanted, and we've outgrown that. The electoral college needs to go.
    meh

It was designed to represent what 13 states wanted, and we've outgrown that. The electoral college needs to go.
    Why stop there? If pure direct democracy is so good, why have States and State Governments at all? Why not dump the States, replace them with Federal Governors and Administrators, and go full direct democracy. All Federal elected officials elected by all Americans, after all, they all have power over all of us, why should I not get a say via vote just because they're from another State?

Hell, why not change all major legislation to direct democratic vote too? Why should picking a President get democracy, but say, going to War doesn't?

Why stop there? If pure direct democracy is so good, why have States and State Governments at all? Why not dump the States, replace them with Federal Governors and Administrators, and go full direct democracy. All Federal elected officials elected by all Americans, after all, they all have power over all of us, why should I not get a say via vote just because they're from another State?

Hell, why not change all major legislation to direct democratic vote too? Why should picking a President get democracy, but say, going to War doesn't?
    You raise very good points.
    meh

I think simpler solutions exist for preserving state power such as keeping the Senate but adding and representing DC. Letting Puerto Rico in, or choosing to support them if not, abolishing electoral college but states already have a fair number of rights. Electoral college is less about states, as states don't really have a place choosing a president that has so much power over so many millions of people that didn't vote for them in a majority.

The house should be expanded, its a bit insane, and the Senate just needs to reflect the population of the country.

Really the parties need to shift to represent the people they represent. Or there needs to be two more parties in order to accurately represent what America has become. Being A or B is just insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    The whole polls before elections thing might have been a double edged sword tbh.

Aside from the fact that the pollsters might have been biased in the sample population they were calling, I'm guessing more than a few Dem oriented voters saw the polls, read "Clinton wins 97%" and thought to themselves "well then it's a sure thing, might as well go do something else more fun/productive on voting day" and voila.

Fuck polls. Only results matter.
    Add to that our election season begins in earnest two years before it ends. I look at Canada and see such a tiny window for this shit. With Trump being on a campaign ever since 2015 its like the polls never stopped. Even 538, which was criticized for having his chances slightly higher than 2% was able to spot flaws in their systems. This time around I'm glad alotbof places aren't willing to stack it against him out of reason/caution

Mike Pence is Beelzebub C/D?

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Mike Pence is Beelzebub C/D?
    I believe it has been established that he is a Sith Lord.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

34 people connected to White House, more than previously known, infected by coronavirus: Internal FEMA memo

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/34-p...ry?id=73487381
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???