hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 998 of 999 FirstFirst ... 498898948988995996997998999 LastLast
Results 19,941 to 19,960 of 19978

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    I'm curious as to why the GOP lost.
    Did their voters reject the MAGA candidates or did political issues like Roe v Wade, Studen loans etc pull them down?
    Unprecedented voter turnout among young people who vote are way more likely to vote democrat. Possibly motivated by Roe vs Wade.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

I'm curious as to why the GOP lost.
    Did their voters reject the MAGA candidates or did political issues like Roe v Wade, Studen loans etc pull them down?
    Their voters in many cases positively chose MAGA morons, who underperformed on a vast scale when exposed to the entire electorate. We have a democratic governor in Pennsylvania again in part because Josh Shapiro is a known name who ran an expert campaign, and also because his opponent Mastriano is a legit Christian Nationalist Jan 6. rioter election denying abortion outlawing psycho.

The house isn't important compared to Senate & White House.
    This is extremely not true; not only can you not pass laws without them going through both houses of Congress, the House oversight rules give them a million ways to shit things up and make Biden's life hellish through unending bullshit subpoenas / investigations / impeachments.

Now, it matters how much of a margin the Republicans manage to win in the House - ten votes, and they can safely ignore the absolutely looniest toons in the bin. But 2 votes? Unless they want to actually pass things with Democrat support, they'll have to make concessions to absolutely everyone in the caucus which means any legislation they manage to draw up (if they even bother trying) will be batshit crazy and thus impossible to pass through the Senate.
    Last edited by Ruri; November 13 2022 at 05:20:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

For a second there I thought you knuckleheads had elected Ben Shapiro. Gives me a migraine just as a passing thought.

Crossing the isle should be easier with a slim margin in Congress thanks to the MAGA crowd underperforming so much. Sure anyone who strays might get primaried but they'll loose anyway in the general election if they kiss the ring of the Don.

Get some of those criminal investigations to a court and maybe we can finally be rid of that bloated orange once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    For a second there I thought you knuckleheads had elected Ben Shapiro. Gives me a migraine just as a passing thought.
    heh, sorry mate. edited for clarity

OK so in the context in was definitely a positive result for the Democrats.

I guess the MAGA candidates might have also had the troublesome issue of running on a platform that they believed elections to be rigged, which doesn't exactly stimulate one's civic duty to vote?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    OK so in the context in was definitely a positive result for the Democrats.

I guess the MAGA candidates might have also had the troublesome issue of running on a platform that they believed elections to be rigged, which doesn't exactly stimulate one's civic duty to vote?
    eh, to the degree that that sentiment was weaponized it was in the direction of "we have to vote in numbers otherwise the Dems will use their trickery to make close calls go their way again just like they always do." not a single conscious Republican pol told their voters anything close to "hey your vote might not even matter idk."

politics in Ameristan are now almost wholly about identity, in a way very scarily reminiscent of The Troubles in Ireland. whether or not you nod along when someone says "we need to make America great again!" is the updated equivalent of "which foot do you kick with?"

It seems the tide has turned for these upstanding gents!

Spoiler:

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Cheeto announces he's ready to lose again.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    oh wow, a conman running an obvious scam, who could have seen it ...

Always

Be

Grifting
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

I missed the best part about that. The New York Post, Murdoch owned and a vocal supporter throughout the first term buried the announcement.

https://deadline.com/2022/11/donald-...mp-1235173748/
    nevar forget

Really hope the GOP botches the speaker selection due to internal strife.

Round 1 of the speaker voting done, no selection made, democrats got more votes for their candidate than GOP got for theirs

Keep in mind that in many cases, Republican voters chose people whom they want to go in and fuck things up, and getting those voters to understand what it's costing them in terms of a functioning government would be a Sisyphian task at best, but most commonly completely impossible given what that message would have to work against in the form of Fox and Facebook.

Republican Representative Bob Good says the Republican members who opposed Kevin McCarthy on Speaker vote will never back down, according to BBC's US partner CBS.

Good adds they want a "reluctant warrior" to be Speaker. He correctly predicted Representative Jim Jordan[20] would gain votes on the second ballot.

Good says McCarthy should pull out of race, adding that: “The sooner McCarthy[202] pulls out, the better it is for the country.”
    Republicans having a perfectly normal one.
    technology canít solve economic and political problems

Aww poor McCarthy, he really had his eyes set on that gavel.

Is there any deal he can make with democrats to secure some votes? Like abstaining from some of the more insane and politically motivated "inquiries"

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar

Is there any deal he can make with democrats to secure some votes? Like abstaining from some of the more insane and politically motivated "inquiries"
    He would have to offer things like committee chairman positions and promises not to turn Hunter Biden into Benghazi 2.0 or attempt to derail any DoJ cases. You know, things that would absolutely infuriate his caucus.

Note that one of the first things Rs want to do is remove the metal detectors at the Capitol.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

He would have to offer things like committee chairman positions and promises not to turn Hunter Biden into Benghazi 2.0 or attempt to derail any DoJ cases. You know, things that would absolutely infuriate his caucus.

Note that one of the first things Rs want to do is remove the metal detectors at the Capitol.
    Man you could tell me the R's wanted alligators for guard dogs and somehow I would probably go "Yeah, that makes sense they would want that".

The only thing about this that surprised me was when I read the list of the 20 R's that voted agains McCarthy. MT Greene wasn't on there. Though she did seem upset her friends hadn't included her in their plans.

20ish GOP-hardliners voting against the party line, where only 5 are enough to sink it. This might take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    20ish GOP-hardliners voting against the party line, where only 5 are enough to sink it. This might take a while.
    While it is fun to see GOP infighting, we need to remember that the GOP now control a major branch of government and that these 20 hardliners seem to be able to control the GOP. That's scary. All of these 20 push evidence-free election denial. Many of them also appear to believe Q-Anon.

At the start of Trump's ascendancy, I thought this was just the last stand of the uneducated, racist minority and that it would pass soon. I was half-right. What I failed to see was how violent and insane this last stand would be. (And how much money and influence unscrupulous right-wing grifters could make out of stoking these grievances.)