hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 997 of 999 FirstFirst ... 497897947987994995996997998999 LastLast
Results 19,921 to 19,940 of 19978

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Another election cycle, another bunch of prophecies thrown in the trash and everyone pretending they weren't just just terribly wrong already onto foretelling more shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Another election cycle, another bunch of prophecies thrown in the trash and everyone pretending they weren't just just terribly wrong already onto foretelling more shit!
    Yep, I got it wrong and am glad I got it wrong. Politics is so fragmented and with traditional methods of polling obviously not working everyone - with the exception maybe of the political partys' own internal polling - may as well be reading chicken entrails to predict results. Also with so many people voting early shifts caused by events at the end of a campaign have less impact they they once did too.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    reading chicken entrails to predict results
    Disassembly provides useful pathways.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Is there a definition for chicken entrails for ghidra yet?

So far it seems that young voter turnout was much higher than predicted and held back the red wave. How much has been done recently to encourage voter turnout?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Polling suggests that the "blue wave" is a blue mirage.

It seems Democrats focused on abortion and voting access, while Republicans focused on inflation and crime. As a result, both the House and Senate will go red.
    Sorry what? What revisionist bullshit is this? The polling was showing a moderate red wave and Red Senate and House. The pundits were saying massive red wave. No one was claiming Blue Wave, and the outcome is much better for democrats than the averages of the polls implied.

Even in the right wing rags this election was seen as a huge disappointment for the GOP

I will say though the sheer fact that Warnock has to go to runoff in Georgia is telling of how fucked our country is.

Quote Originally Posted by Melichor View Post
    I will say though the sheer fact that Warnock has to go to runoff in Georgia is telling of how fucked our country is.
    A lot of people are not aware of who Walker is and why he's so important in Georgia culture.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Quote Originally Posted by Melichor View Post
    Walker plus Libertarian party voters would have been >50%

Libertarian votes don't automatically become GOP votes.

If the Georgia runoff becomes the determiner of which party controls the Senate it will be a circus beyond measure.

If it isn't then I expect a lot of voters won't bother to vote again.

The most interesting bit for me was what happened in New York. The Dems who control everything went from a moderate gerrymander to a full-blown wiped out the Republicans gerrymander that was found unconstitution by the State Court leading to a special master being appointed to redistrict. The end result was the GOP picking up 4 Congressional seats and a number of State seats.

Hopefully this gets applied across the 50 States as it is obvious that one party state rule leads to shit(er) Government due to a lack of accountability.

If the Georgia runoff becomes the determiner of which party controls the Senate it will be a circus beyond measure.

The most interesting bit for me was what happened in New York. The Dems who control everything went from a moderate gerrymander to a full-blown wiped out the Republicans gerrymander that was found unconstitution by the State Court leading to a special master being appointed to redistrict. The end result was the GOP picking up 4 Congressional seats and a number of State seats.

Hopefully this gets applied across the 50 States as it is obvious that one party state rule leads to shit(er) Government due to a lack of accountability.
    Not automatically, no. But in the end, most of them do because ultimately "libertarians" care more about giving their money to the government than they do about other issues, and they think they'll make more and pay less under the GOP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

Not automatically, no. But in the end, most of them do because ultimately "libertarians" care more about giving their money to the government than they do about other issues, and they think they'll make more and pay less under the GOP.
    But Walker will have also gained votes from people who came to elect the reasonably competent Republican Governor Brian Kemp. Kemp beat Abrams 53%-46%. Kemp won't be on the ballot in December. The Georgia run off will be close and might be a circus, but I suspect the democrats will win AZ and NV, so the Georgia result may be moot.

Most self-described libertarians are just weed smoking conservatives who think poor people deserve it.

Begun the blame game has.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Begun the blame game has.

Oh how I'd like to see a Conservative civil war right now. It would be nice if half the party was turned off from voting for the other halves candidate.

Nevada senate race has been called for the Democrats, which means that they will continue to hold the Senate 50-50 (with vice president as tie breaker) or 51-49 if they hold Georgia.

Similar story in Minnesota. Democrats swept all statewide offices and are on track to take back control of the state Senate.

State auditor race was extremely tight: 0.3% separated D and R, two cannabis parties got a combined 5.4%.

https://www.startribune.com/2022-min...ral/600222056/

I'm curious as to why the GOP lost.
    Did their voters reject the MAGA candidates or did political issues like Roe v Wade, Studen loans etc pull them down?
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Did their voters reject the MAGA candidates or did political issues like Roe v Wade, Studen loans etc pull them down?
    Did the GOP lose? I thought they just didn't win as much as people thought they would?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Did the GOP lose? I thought they just didn't win as much as people thought they would?
    For decades with the exception of Bush post 9/11, the sitting president loses majority in the midterms.
    Biden retaining control over senate is HUGE! Currently it is 50/50 with VP as tie breaker vote. Georgia is not settled yet, so they could get 51/49.
    The house isn't important compared to Senate & White House.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???