hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 783 of 899 FirstFirst ... 283683733773780781782783784785786793833883 ... LastLast
Results 15,641 to 15,660 of 17969

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    You need both standing and something resembling a case for a court to allow a motion to proceed. The Trump camp lacked both.

I do laugh at all the "insurrection isn't being American" pontificating atm when the nation was created by insurrection.

Way back in 2016 a lot of us predicted that Trump would destroy the Republicans. Seems that he is happy to take down the party with him as his voters will cease to vote because "the system is rigged".

However I also suspect that more people voted against Trump than for Biden so unless the New President can tackle the pandemic and the economic fallout, and also deal with the systemic problems affecting US society, that the Dems will loose control of the house in 2022 and then loose the Presidency in 2024. Americans don't want a return to business as usual.
    Those nazi pieces of shit who broke into congress yesterday aren't Americans, and the worst thing about the incident is more of them weren't put down.
    They are Americans, and the sooner you stop pretending they aren't and realize how many of them there are, the sooner you'll stop peddling dumb fuck statements about this. They should never have been let in, and I could give two shits about the ones that died, they are terrorists. The millions left over don't need a genocide, they need to be given a functional nation and I would wager almost all of them would be lulled back into their dumb fuck lives, maybe with some hope for their children or even if things weren't so shit themselves. But keep saying the absolute dumbest shit possible Erich, you aren't fighting for anything, since you still support corporate bullshit and think job allotment will fix racism. If your only solution is genocide or work camps, you are part of the problem. Want to talk about throwing Trump, Mitch and Cruz into a volcano, go ahead, they have blood on their hands. Want to prosecute all the police that aided in this shit, good.

I struggle to see who would agree to your moronic "Murder everyone I do not like" ideals, besides maybe Approaching Walrus, he's a big fan of those kinda leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    You need both standing and something resembling a case for a court to allow a motion to proceed. The Trump camp lacked both.

I do laugh at all the "insurrection isn't being American" pontificating atm when the nation was created by insurrection.

Way back in 2016 a lot of us predicted that Trump would destroy the Republicans. Seems that he is happy to take down the party with him as his voters will cease to vote because "the system is rigged".

However I also suspect that more people voted against Trump than for Biden so unless the New President can tackle the pandemic and the economic fallout, and also deal with the systemic problems affecting US society, that the Dems will loose control of the house in 2022 and then loose the Presidency in 2024. Americans don't want a return to business as usual.
    Those nazi pieces of shit who broke into congress yesterday aren't Americans, and the worst thing about the incident is more of them weren't put down.
    They are Americans, and the sooner you stop pretending they aren't and realize how many of them there are, the sooner you'll stop peddling dumb fuck statements about this. They should never have been let in, and I could give two shits about the ones that died, they are terrorists. The millions left over don't need a genocide, they need to be given a functional nation and I would wager almost all of them would be lulled back into their dumb fuck lives, maybe with some hope for their children or even if things weren't so shit themselves. But keep saying the absolute dumbest shit possible Erich, you aren't fighting for anything, since you still support corporate bullshit and think job allotment will fix racism. If your only solution is genocide or work camps, you are part of the problem. Want to talk about throwing Trump, Mitch and Cruz into a volcano, go ahead, they have blood on their hands. Want to prosecute all the police that aided in this shit, good.

I struggle to see who would agree to your moronic "Murder everyone I do not like" ideals, besides maybe Approaching Walrus, he's a big fan of those kinda leaders.
    I think eradicating racists will fix racism, personally, but sure, help the nazis up so they can kick at you again.

We should identify each of those pieces of shit and make them homeless, as a start.
    meh

Erich having an absolutely normal one once again.

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/liv...ots/index.html

The House confirms Joe Biden as 46th President of the United States.

These are the senators who voted to object to some of the results of the election (and the states they objected to):
    • Texas Sen. Ted Cruz (Arizona, Pennsylvania)
    • Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley (Arizona, Pennsylvania)
    • Kansas Sen. Roger Marshall (Arizona, Pennsylvania)
    • Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville (Arizona, Pennsylvania)
    • Mississippi Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (Arizona, Pennsylvania)
    • Louisiana Sen. John Kennedy (Arizona)
    • Florida Sen. Rick Scott (Pennsylvania)
    • Wyoming Sen. Cynthia Lummis (Pennsylvania)
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Call them what they really are. 4chans loosers that confuse internet forums with reality.
    In all seriousness, in the background of one of the German live reportings, I saw a sign reading "kek" and Pepe the frog on it.

Obviously a fake account, but still funny and fitting:

I mean is anyone surprised there were a bunch of Qs and kekistanis and assorted riffraff?
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

Those nazi pieces of shit who broke into congress ARE Americans, m8
    Makes as much sense as saying the nazi pieces of shit marching to take the Feldherrnhalle wasn't German

Also the fur and horns dude according to reporting here is some sort of self proclaimed QAnon shaman. Declares his occupation as an actor/singer. Play a gig, storm the white house. It's oficial mates, we live in Cyperpunk.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

Those nazi pieces of shit who broke into congress ARE Americans, m8
    Makes as much sense as saying the nazi pieces of shit marching to take the Feldherrnhalle wasn't German
    Wasn't that the big story at the end of ww2?
    meh

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    You are thinking about the restoration of germany's armed forces and it's commanders reputation post ww2, as a pretext to rearm western germany under the Bündeswehr? No. I mean it was whitewashing but I don't think they even went as far as to deny Hitler and his cronies was actually German

The revolution will not be prosecuted

You are thinking about the restoration of germany's armed forces and it's commanders reputation post ww2, as a pretext to rearm western germany under the Bundeswehr? No. I mean it was whitewashing but I don't think they even went as far as to deny Hitler and his cronies was actually German
    Oh my, you sweet Summer child.

Some people will still proclaim that the worst of the SS were the Austrians.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    You are thinking about the restoration of germany's armed forces and it's commanders reputation post ww2, as a pretext to rearm western germany under the Bundeswehr? No. I mean it was whitewashing but I don't think they even went as far as to deny Hitler and his cronies was actually German

Tapapapatalk
    My wife's elder uncle (who was captured at Tobruk and was lucky enough to spend the rest of the war in relative safety in Oudshoorn, South Africa) told me the joke in the 50s was that it was always "those others, not like us".
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Tapapapatalk
    Southern Bavarians the lot of them anyway.

Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Obviously a fake account, but still funny and fitting:

What departure?

well, yesterday was certainly a busy one.

im sure you've already seen plenty of screeds about the sanctity of democracy and what have you, but that's not really terribly relevant. one of the points of having a democracy is public accountability, if that breaks down then the crowd both can, and will string up their representatives from a lamp post and pick a new set. and yesterdays insurrection was very much that, as documented by the loud disappointment that the representatives got away as well as the presence of zip ties and firearms for this express purpose. it's a very, late 1700's/ mid 1800's take on democracy, but it's still implicitly within the "rules", not the law of course, but the more informal "rules".

what's important is who's doing it, what their aims are and who is helping and enabling them.

so who's doing it ? Donnie's conspiracy-addled base at his behest, that i think is indisputable, i don't think he intended it to go all the way to where it did, but by all available accounts, he didn't object to it either and actively tried to block intervention. as for how he's doing it, why fascism, the cult of personality, imagined enemies all that usual stuff.
    remember a couple of years ago, all those screeds about it being "unfair" to call Donnie a fascist ? he just tried to have his followers topple the legislative branch. so if you're one of those people, can you please start paying attention now ?

what is their aim ? today it was just to keep dear leader in power, but i can't really discern any concrete aims beyond restoring the imagined greatness created by the American propaganda machine. this isn't donnies fault, he's a symptom of the underlying sickness of society, and america is a very sick society, and not just from all the COVID going around. even if this shit is put down with a hammer, and every indication right now is that it wont be, it's going to come right back.
    what these people want is the restoration of a imagined greatness that did not exist, and a society that doesn't fuck them over in the name of mammon. they want the "evil" punished for their misdeeds and they think Donnie is the one to do it. it's a mass indictment of the existing status quo, and if you're supporting or simply assenting to that you're their enemy. but hey, it could be worse, you could be working on a radical direction that they don't like, then you're not even human.

in short, it's a american-branded liberal-enabled fascism, and their aim is as nonsensical and suicidal as all fascism is, there is no reasoning and compromise with it because their aim is, fundamentally, to erase your existence. either by you joining, or by whatever means are available.

so who's helping and enabling them ? that, is the important question that you should pay attention to. first point of order is the complete kiddie gloves and active help provided by law enforcement, this is not "accidental". this was a active choice to enable this crowd, compare and contrast to the militant crackdown of the summer. the difference between the fascist in the street you saw yesterday, and the police as a institution is that one of them carries uniforms.

this isn't really news, police forces are explicitly designed to breed authoritarian outlooks, it's trained into them because its fundamentally the purpose of law enforcement, to enforce authority. what is important is that, for better or worse, they've actively taken a side, the crackdown later in the evening is irrelevant since this isn't about what is done, it's about the perception and how that shakes out in the end. while there was a lot of yelling and anger at the cops yesterday in the street, the usual suspects will shape the narrative towards supporting law enforcement on this basis especially because they have evidence to point at, including cops removing barricades.

the second group is the house and senate republicans still on board with Donnies stolen election narrative, what they're actually signposting by maintaining that position at this point is "we do not think democracy is legitimate unless we win", and it's a fairly large bloc too. not that that should come as any surprise if you've been paying attention. but what's more important is the tacit support it's going to get in the broader population, there are no hard numbers yet and i don't trust my social feeds to provide anything remotely like a accurate picture of the broader opinion. but i suspect you're going to find that it has significant public support, even outside the Qanon segment because of how despised your political system is.

so what's going to happen?

what should happen is that the state brings the hammer down on the insurrectionists of yesterday, it has to in order to maintain legitimacy and sweep the events under the carpet as "we didn't expect this to happen" what is, by all accounts actually happening is that they're being let go with few arrests made and maybe in a few weeks the worst offenders (hello buffalo man!) are going to get a trial with a lenient sentence. this is what usually happens, see the beer hall putsch for the most famous example.

the end result is going to be a severe erosion of the legitimacy and authority of the state, if it's this easy to roll into and over congress, why should anybody listen to them in the first place ?

Congress and Senate are going to pass some sort of "LAWN AND ORDAR!" package in the wake of this, to curtail protesting. indeed the fascists in congress are already pivoting towards this being aimed at "anarchists" and it's going to have the opposite effect of what they intent, because, as illustrated yesterday, the fascists have the enforcement arm of the state on their side, and they get to decide how to enforce it. so the actual measures are going to be largely affecting the counter-balance group that has coalesced around BLM.

Donnie might get impeached and deposed, the stark irony is that doing so is going to strengthen, not weaken his and the movements position by providing something to point to as the establishment being "against" them. while not doing so makes the congress and senate look even more toothless than they already do, compounding the legitimacy and authority loss the insurrection has already caused.

Biden meanwhile, is entirely the wrong leader for the time we're finding ourselves in. he's going to be president, once they drag Donnie out of the white house of course, but it's not going to be the president of the united states, he's going to be treated as the democratic president of the united states, with a huge swathe of the republicans outright saying he's illegitimate, this isn't new of course but it's escalated orders of magnitude beyond what Obama faced. and once he dies in office Harris is, if anything, a even worse choice.

so what's the long-run outlook ?

civil unrest at minimum, "Trumpism" has hit self-sustainability years ago and is going to continue to become the dominant force of the republican party, Donnie is eventually going to pass the reins, if nothing else when he croaks and dies from living off McD and we can only hope that whoever is picked, is as incompetent and narcissistic as Trump is.
    i would also expect the heavy handed repressive tactics coming into play to be primarily aimed at the far left with the ultra-radical right wingers (we're talking the right wing of the nazis) getting tossed in the blender for good measure, outright fascism is now mainstream in America, targetting them would mean targetting mainstream republicans and that is not really something that the state can afford to do.

civil war ? probably not, some insurgent activity is possible but the American political system has swallowed fascism with even less resistance than the Weimar republic put up and yesterday will probably turn out to be a huge pivotal win that serves as inspiration for further action. depending on the actions of the state as a whole the next month or so, it would not be unfair to simply outright say that fascism has won, it's just a question of dragging the dead carcass of america's democracy into the shed and start carving it up.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.