hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 692 of 813 FirstFirst ... 192592642682689690691692693694695702742792 ... LastLast
Results 13,821 to 13,840 of 16255

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

And yes, here people see East Coast results long before their own West Coast polling places have closed. Our media starts reporting results the second the first State's polls close.
    Thanks!
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    Thats a bit unfair on Obama, but hes the outlier
    Yepp. I put him and Clinton on the same level.

But is the GOP different? Was there a charismatic GOP candidate after Reagan. And no, Trump is not "charismatic". He's a show man, a celebrity. he knows how to sell himself ... but that doesn't make someone automatically "charismatic"
    Unfortunately, 40 years of media spotlight as "the successful real estate developer", etc in the American psyche, has cemented him with the trogs who vote for him, as a "Very successful, plain talking, now apparently pious business man".

We can see it's bullshit, but they've watched too much TV.

They warned us TV would be the downfall of civilization, and here we see it playing out plainly, before our eyes...
    TV isn't the problem. It's private TV.

In Germany a lot of people bitch about the GEZ and the mandatory fee one has to pay. This is what finances our public broadcast system.

And while I'm all for arguing about how that money is spent (hint: soccer broadcasting rights) and about the qulaity of certain programs, I'll fight tooth and nails with everyone who wants to get rid off it alltogether.
    Yes, How long and vigorously republicans have been trying to kill our (very good actually) public broadcasting is another topic we could discuss at length

As long as I've been here, it pops up as a topic every now and then.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    imagine thinking mr. faxmachine has anything sensible to say.
    Capitalist fails to understand why people vote to keep cheap transportation option becasue no viable mass transit option exists.
    meh

Capitalist fails to understand why people vote to keep cheap transportation option becasue no viable mass transit option exists.
    BUT WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY MEAN

And because Uber and Lyft burned $200 million advertising for it. 200 million US dollars, in a single state, for a single proposition.

Here is my biggest takeaway from the last two elections:

Polling methodology is clearly outdated and no longer as accurate as it once was in an older, less tech-driven, environment.

Polling needs a complete modernization and overhaul of it's methods, because it frankly sucks at what it's supposed to be doing.

If the word "telephone" is anywhere in polling methodology, start over. That time is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    And because Uber and Lyft burned $200 million advertising for it. 200 million US dollars, in a single state, for a single proposition.
    Not just them. All the food delivery apps too.

Give me convenience or give me death, as DK so aptly said...

meh

Glad to see your wonderful liberal stronghold of California shows how it actually doesn't give a fuck about people in one simple result though. Really on brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Glad to see your wonderful liberal stronghold of California shows how it actually doesn't give a fuck about people in one simple result though. Really on brand.
    Hey. I guess the opposition declined to give people a viable alternative.
    meh

Sweet lord why the fuck did anyone think it was a good idea to leave labour laws to a plebiscite?!

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post

Sweet lord why the fuck did anyone think it was a good idea to leave labour laws to a plebiscite?!
    THey didn’t. They wrote a badly written, overreaching, poorly thought out bill called AB5 last year, and this is a reaction to that.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    A few changes I'd like to see in our system:

1. Absentee/Advance Voting Ballots should be required to arrive the day before election day. If we need to open up earlier to allow that, fine. But they should all be in-hand by 6 am on Election Day.
    How many voters will that disenfranchise? Just for the sake of speedy results?
    I'll answer your question with a question:

How long do we have to allow advance voting to be "reasonable", and at what point is any deadline a cause of disenfranchisement?

Should we allow Pre-Voting for six months before hand? A Year? Four Years? Will THAT stop this supposed "disenfranchisement" fear?

How long after Election Day do we have to keep taking in new votes? A Day? A Week? Three Months?

It's a process, it needs to have clear rules.

If we allow early voting for say, two months before the election, no one should be "disenfranchised" by there being a deadline of "get to them by election day", same as no one is purely disenfranchised by the current "get it in a few days after election day, depending on the State" rules.

And if they do feel that way, there is an easy solution, show up on election day and vote in person.

I'd answer your question with "not one single voter would be disenfranchised compared to today by this change". The only thing that would change would be timing, not "access" to vote.

But I'm open minded, if you have a hypothetical voter who would be disenfranchised, by all means lay out that scenario and we'll evaluate it's reasonableness.
    All the votes the USPS throws away via that system by simply not delivering them and shrugging when ordered to by law? OH wait that already happened!

THey didn’t. They wrote a badly written, overreaching, poorly thought out bill called AB5 last year, and this is a reaction to that.

Your state literally went fuck the workers for our convenience and nothing else. You defending the tech companies is the least surprising thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post

1. Absentee/Advance Voting Ballots should be required to arrive the day before election day. If we need to open up earlier to allow that, fine. But they should all be in-hand by 6 am on Election Day.

How long do we have to allow advance voting to be "reasonable", and at what point is any deadline a cause of disenfranchisement?

Should we allow Pre-Voting for six months before hand? A Year? Four Years? Will THAT stop this supposed "disenfranchisement" fear?

How long after Election Day do we have to keep taking in new votes? A Day? A Week? Three Months?

If we allow early voting for say, two months before the election, no one should be "disenfranchised" by there being a deadline of "get to them by election day", same as no one is purely disenfranchised by the current "get it in a few days after election day, depending on the State" rules.

And if they do feel that way, there is an easy solution, show up on election day and vote in person.

I'd answer your question with "not one single voter would be disenfranchised compared to today by this change". The only thing that would change would be timing, not "access" to vote.

But I'm open minded, if you have a hypothetical voter who would be disenfranchised, by all means lay out that scenario and we'll evaluate it's reasonableness.
    All the votes the USPS throws away via that system by simply not delivering them and shrugging when ordered to by law? OH wait that already happened!
    That is a failure of the Postal Service. Not a failure of the deadline proposal above.

In such a case, the Postal Service disenfranchised them, not the deadline. Same as is true literally right now.

A different problem, with a different set of possible solutions.

I'd hate to be one of Trump's aides or advisors now. He's clearly a boss from hell at the best of times. But they've allowed him to believe that late counting and mail in are fraudulent and he will be so pissed off that they can't stop them being counted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post

That is a failure of the Postal Service. Not a failure of the deadline proposal above.

In such a case, the Postal Service disenfranchised them, not the deadline. Same as is true literally right now.

A different problem, with a different set of possible solutions.
    It's also a failure we can point to the root cause of.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post

Your state literally went fuck the workers for our convenience and nothing else. You defending the tech companies is the least surprising thing ever.
    I'm not defending the tech companies. I voted against them. I'm pointing out why it was so easy for them to win.
    meh

CNN reporting Biden has won Wisconsin w/ 99% reporting.

CNN also reporting Biden remains up ~40K votes in Michigan w/ 94% reporting.

Nevada too close to call, Biden up 8k votes at only 86%.

Arizona looking better, Biden up almost 100k votes at 86%.

Quite possible Biden still wins it. I refuse to let hope die just yet.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Its looking good for team Biden.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

CNN reporting Biden has won Wisconsin w/ 99% reporting.

CNN also reporting Biden remains up ~40K votes in Michigan w/ 94% reporting.

Nevada too close to call, Biden up 8k votes at only 86%.

Arizona looking better, Biden up almost 100k votes at 86%.

Quite possible Biden still wins it. I refuse to let hope die just yet.
    If he takes Michigan and Nevada, he doesn't need PA, and I think he's close there too, if you analyze where the outstanding votes are.
    meh