hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 726 of 819 FirstFirst ... 226626676716723724725726727728729736776 ... LastLast
Results 14,501 to 14,520 of 16372

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

  1. #14501
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Erich in "wipe them out. All of them" Palpatine cosplay mode.
    They can't Zyklon-B you if you Gulag them first!

    It's not an incoherent point of view, but it's a rather bleak one.
    Gulags implies that erich is the left-wing opposite number of the fascists

    The "left-wing" side of American politics is fundamentally incapable of going gulag mode. But it can become an uncaring technocracy that throws people to the lions for more of what they call progress. Already is actually

  2. #14502
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,476
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

    The "left-wing" side of American politics is fundamentally incapable of going gulag mode.
    How about gulags but with more shareholder value and a minority board member?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  3. #14503
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    7,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

    The "left-wing" side of American politics is fundamentally incapable of going gulag mode.
    How about gulags but with more shareholder value and a minority board member?
    Now that's progressive!

  4. #14504
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

    The "left-wing" side of American politics is fundamentally incapable of going gulag mode.
    How about gulags but with more shareholder value and a minority board member?
    Now that's progressive!
    Lets do it

  5. #14505
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    7,836
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

    The "left-wing" side of American politics is fundamentally incapable of going gulag mode.
    How about gulags but with more shareholder value and a minority board member?
    Now that's progressive!
    Lets do it
    Imagine how they could boost the economy and GDP!

  6. #14506
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

    The "left-wing" side of American politics is fundamentally incapable of going gulag mode.
    How about gulags but with more shareholder value and a minority board member?
    Now that's progressive!
    Lets do it
    Imagine how they could boost the economy and GDP!
    Also, we’ll just reuse the existing camps, thus saving money too!
    meh

  7. #14507
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    18,084
    It's nice to see everyone working together
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  8. #14508
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,953
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

    The "left-wing" side of American politics is fundamentally incapable of going gulag mode.
    How about gulags but with more shareholder value and a minority board member?
    Now that's progressive!
    Lets do it
    Imagine how they could boost the economy and GDP!
    Also, we’ll just reuse the existing camps, thus saving money too!
    You could sell the camps after they are no longer in use as well, to Amazon!

  9. #14509
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

    The "left-wing" side of American politics is fundamentally incapable of going gulag mode.
    How about gulags but with more shareholder value and a minority board member?
    Now that's progressive!
    Lets do it
    Imagine how they could boost the economy and GDP!
    Also, we’ll just reuse the existing camps, thus saving money too!
    You could sell the camps after they are no longer in use as well, to Amazon!
    Why not just let Jeff operate them?
    meh

  10. #14510
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    18,084
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

    The "left-wing" side of American politics is fundamentally incapable of going gulag mode.
    How about gulags but with more shareholder value and a minority board member?
    Now that's progressive!
    Lets do it
    Imagine how they could boost the economy and GDP!
    Also, we’ll just reuse the existing camps, thus saving money too!
    You could sell the camps after they are no longer in use as well, to Amazon!
    Why not just let Jeff operate them?
    As Fulfillment Centres!
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  11. #14511
    Donor Shiodome's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    I am a white male.
    Posts
    5,604
    there's still betting open on who will be next US president...

    https://www2.politicalbetting.com/in...-been-matched/


  12. #14512
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

    The "left-wing" side of American politics is fundamentally incapable of going gulag mode.
    How about gulags but with more shareholder value and a minority board member?
    Now that's progressive!
    Lets do it
    Imagine how they could boost the economy and GDP!
    Also, we’ll just reuse the existing camps, thus saving money too!
    You could sell the camps after they are no longer in use as well, to Amazon!
    Why not just let Jeff operate them?
    As Fulfillment Centres!
    okay, are you people the hivemind that runs the joe biden meat-puppet ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  13. #14513
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    there's still betting open on who will be next US president...

    https://www2.politicalbetting.com/in...-been-matched/

    It's just to fleece desperate magoids who are upset they didn't bet on trump in 2016

  14. #14514
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Erich in "wipe them out. All of them" Palpatine cosplay mode.
    Nah, he's more of the Borsk Fey'lya type. "No one cares if their enemies die. And all those who are not on my side are my enemies."





    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1D14G0

    WAYNESBURG, Pa. (Reuters) - When Mike Sylvester entered a career training center earlier this year in southwestern Pennsylvania, he found more than one hundred federally funded courses covering everything from computer programming to nursing.

    He settled instead on something familiar: a coal mining course.

    “I think there is a coal comeback,” said the 33-year-old son of a miner.

    Despite broad consensus about coal’s bleak future, a years-long effort to diversify the economy of this hard-hit region away from mining is stumbling, with Obama-era jobs retraining classes undersubscribed and future programs at risk under President Donald Trump’s proposed 2018 budget.

    Trump has promised to revive coal by rolling back environmental regulations and moved to repeal Obama-era curbs on carbon emissions from power plants.

    “I have a lot of faith in President Trump,” Sylvester said.

    But hundreds of coal-fired plants have closed in recent years, and cheap natural gas continues to erode domestic demand. The Appalachian region has lost about 33,500 mining jobs since 2011, according to the Appalachian Regional Commission.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  15. #14515
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Erich in "wipe them out. All of them" Palpatine cosplay mode.
    Nah, he's more of the Borsk Fey'lya type. "No one cares if their enemies die. And all those who are not on my side are my enemies."





    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1D14G0

    WAYNESBURG, Pa. (Reuters) - When Mike Sylvester entered a career training center earlier this year in southwestern Pennsylvania, he found more than one hundred federally funded courses covering everything from computer programming to nursing.

    He settled instead on something familiar: a coal mining course.

    “I think there is a coal comeback,” said the 33-year-old son of a miner.

    Despite broad consensus about coal’s bleak future, a years-long effort to diversify the economy of this hard-hit region away from mining is stumbling, with Obama-era jobs retraining classes undersubscribed and future programs at risk under President Donald Trump’s proposed 2018 budget.

    Trump has promised to revive coal by rolling back environmental regulations and moved to repeal Obama-era curbs on carbon emissions from power plants.

    “I have a lot of faith in President Trump,” Sylvester said.

    But hundreds of coal-fired plants have closed in recent years, and cheap natural gas continues to erode domestic demand. The Appalachian region has lost about 33,500 mining jobs since 2011, according to the Appalachian Regional Commission.
    Remember to be a snobby liberal to coal miners as their jobs get phased out for.....oil and natural gas?

  16. #14516
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,982


    haha whoopsie

  17. #14517
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,953
    If you lament the people losing coal jobs do you lament the people at the lead paint factory too?

    If you weren't completely fucking dumb, you wouldn't take a job training course for a industry that with minimal research would show itself to be dead and also awful. If you are out of a job, at least when I am, I immediately think of what might be more secure and realistic. If you think that's coal mining, your brain mine as well be made of the shit you want to dig up.

  18. #14518
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,144
    I don't know what the jobs are like overseas but here in Australia mining is one of the few areas of blue collar employment left where it is possible to earn a decent 6 figure income without a university degree or having to run a business like a builder or plumber.

    It is also one of the few remaining areas with strong unions outside of the public service.

    It isn't just that the mining jobs are going, its that the jobs replacing those mining jobs tend to pay a lot less and are often casual and lack the protection of a strong union.

    Plus if a major employer like a mine closes what takes its place in the community. You can retrain but will you be forced to move to find a new, probably inferior, job?

    I looked up the figures for Oz.

    Av. Mining Salary - 115K

    Av. IT Salary - 82K (needs qualifications)

    Av. Nurse Salary - 73K (needs qualifications)

    Av. Teachers Salary - 70K (needs qualifications)

    Av. Hospitality Salary - 61K

    So you can kind of see why people don't want to lose their mining jobs.
    Last edited by Maximillian; November 17 2020 at 03:38:45 AM.

  19. #14519
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post


    haha whoopsie

    I mean, I get it, but fracking tech, and that explosive growth you are citing because of it, is happening on a really different scale to the drop off in coal.

    https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CEU1021210001#0

    in short, less than 50k people have a really outsize clout in politics, because "muh coal miners"

    I think we'd get more out of it if we split their clout with like burger flippers, because those non-gender-specific-dudes sure get a shitty deal too, and there are 74x (https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ts-since-2002/) more of them, and arguably, they do more for like, people, because boiger is comfort for many.
    meh

  20. #14520
    Varcaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 15, 2011
    Posts
    21,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    I don't know what the jobs are like overseas but here in Australia mining is one of the few areas of blue collar employment left where it is possible to earn a decent 6 figure income without a university degree or having to run a business like a builder or plumber.

    It is also one of the few remaining areas with strong unions outside of the public service.

    It isn't just that the mining jobs are going, its that the jobs replacing those mining jobs tend to pay a lot less and are often casual and lack the protection of a strong union.

    Plus if a major employer like a mine closes what takes its place in the community. You can retrain but will you be forced to move to find a new, probably inferior, job?

    I looked up the figures for Oz.

    Av. Mining Salary - 115K

    Av. IT Salary - 82K (needs qualifications)

    Av. Nurse Salary - 73K (needs qualifications)

    Av. Teachers Salary - 70K (needs qualifications)

    Av. Hospitality Salary - 61K

    So you can kind of see why people don't want to lose their mining jobs.
    Coal miners don't make shit here in PA 30-60k roughly. Not awful but you can almost do that at a gas station.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •