hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 695 of 831 FirstFirst ... 195595645685692693694695696697698705745795 ... LastLast
Results 13,881 to 13,900 of 16603

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    And the other candidate is Joe Biden This fact still boggles my mind. But not really. But it still does.
    Wins two terms with a young unknown but outside candidate who is a black man under the age of 50, runs two ancient party dinosaurs and is surprised when that doesn't work as well, is DNC.
    Although it's quite debatable how much "good" Obama's presidency did for the average American. Wake me up when an American president stops sucking Wall Street dick and takes care of the common people, which probably means I'll die in my sleep.
    It wasn't this though, and it wasn't Biden, I remember people celebrating Obama winning, with as much excitement as a sports event. I already had my doubts but seeing people charged up over an election was just amazing. I can't think of anyone that would say the same about Joe Biden, not even Joe fucking Biden.

Also yeah AW, everyone knows you stopped giving a shit about the actual fate of America, have fun wishing for the worst from afar. Keep dreaming tankie dreams.

Didn’t Obama discourage Joe from running because he thought he’d make a fool of himself? It says a lot about the state of the system that he’s about to become president. I would’ve totally agreed with Obama.

Yeah, I was excited as fuck too when Obama became president. Thought "wow, things might really be changing in the USA". And then :style over substance: and :history: and here we are today, watching this fucking shitshow.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Yeah, I was excited as fuck too when Obama became president. Thought "wow, things might really be changing in the USA". And then :style over substance: and :history: and here we are today, watching this fucking shitshow.
    Butwhy?

Well you know, a relatively young, black Democrat was president of the USA. I believed all the bullshit I don't anymore. Fell for the old "look, we're progressive, we Dems have a black presidential candidate" routine. I was young and confused, everything happened so fast
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

BTW, for Biden always describe as uninspiring and boring, I found his speech yesterday remarkably good and on spot. I've heard my fair share of those "here's what we will do after ..." speeches. Most of them are just a collection of text modules thrown together with the marked <topic> replaced by something current. But this one at least felt a bit different.

Well you know, a relatively young, black Democrat was president of the USA. I believed all the bullshit I don't anymore. Fell for the old "look, we're progressive, we Dems have a black presidential candidate" routine. I was young and confused, everything happened so fast
    I, more than most, appreciate how easy it is to fall to cynicism and pragmatic doubts over the future of this Country.

With that said, I do think the U.S. electing a Black Man to be President was an important step forward.

I also think, and it's being ignored post-election day, that electing our first female Vice President and Black Vice President is another important step forward.

Both of these were near impossibilities not long ago (just ask Geraldine Ferraro and Jessie Jackson).

Sure, it sucks that progress is as slow as it is, but it IS still progress.

We should, when we get them, try to see the bright side, the win, as much as we see the loss.

Now, if you'll excuse me, that's more than enough positivity from me today, back to being my usual cynical doubting pragmatist.

From an outside observer USA isn't progressing, it is just regressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    BTW, for Biden always describe as uninspiring and boring, I found his speech yesterday remarkably good and on spot. I've heard my fair share of those "here's what we will do after ..." speeches. Most of them are just a collection of text modules thrown together with the marked <topic> replaced by something current. But this one at least felt a bit different.
    Rumour has it that after failing to convincingly beat the most shambolically incompetent, obviously criminal and blatantly unsuitable president in US history, even the Democratic party leadership has accepted that, yeah, maybe they could do better. By rights this election should have been a 40+-state blowout that locked the GOP out of the Whitehouse for a generation.

It's a pretty fucking damning indictment of the American people that they liked what they saw over the last 4 years and asked for the same again. But it's also pretty clear that they're not being offered an enticing alternative.

Another stat I saw: 90% of Republicans voted for Trump in 2016. 93% voted for Trump in 2020. Reaching out to these people doesn't work. Reaching out to the "other third" of people who feel totally disconnected and abandoned by the Duarchy might. Just relying on it being obvious that the Republicans are racist fuckhead aint enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    From an outside observer USA isn't progressing, it is just regressing.
    Red-shifting, you mean?
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Red-shifting, you mean?
    Mr. Doppler's Wild Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Are you just feigning ignorance at the efforts to slow the ballots down, the pandemic, and the sheer number of early ballots? Its been a 3 year election cycle, fucking 3 days isn't forever to wait for a 4 year term to be decided.
    Preparations could have been made ahead of time in order to process the mail in ballots in an efficient manner.

3 days to decide an election in a supposedly advanced nation is actually beyond shameful. It's a clear sign of how backwards and antiquated America is.
    Preparations were made, but there was also plenty of pushback to it lest you forget.
    Pennsylvania literally didn't start counting until the day of the election and does not have enough staff to count 24/7 until a result is determined. It's a joke.
    Hurr durr, you are a moron.

It was possible to do, but like isyel said, you didn't look why. It's like your usual shit though.

For someone who left here you seem about as dumb as your average American. Guess it never wears off eh?
    Muh rebbublicans making it harder weakdoge.jpg

Maybe you just need to admit the country is broken and can't be fixed

Try to enjoy the decline, it's pretty funny once you stop caring so much
    Maybe you need to concentrate on surviving covid in the euro shithole you ran to.
    meh

Far easier to do that here than in the states?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Is it?

News here has been saying COVID is pretty horrible in Euro-Utopia these days, at least on-par with our COVID.

CNN and Co. could be lying, of course.

Yeah, no.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Is it?

News here has been saying COVID is pretty horrible in Euro-Utopia these days, at least on-par with our COVID.

the US is doing significantly worse than the entirety of the EU combined.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Is it?

Of course they would be. You forget the healthcare systems are not nearly as fucked as yours is?

Europe is p fucking bad, but not nearly as bad as you guys managed to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Is it?

the US is doing significantly worse than the entirety of the EU combined.
    That is blatantly untrue by either death rate, or deaths per 100k. We're actually only in tenth place by those measures.

Maybe you should kick those smelly Belgians out of the Europe next, they are letting your side down.
    meh