hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 721 of 738 FirstFirst ... 221621671711718719720721722723724731 ... LastLast
Results 14,401 to 14,420 of 14748

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Amazed his wife waited until after the trial tbh
    Got to be a good obedient follower of the party line to marry a tory.
    (at least, unless you want them to never get anywhere beyond where they already are)
    It was probably part of the deal when he gave her his House of Commons seat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalie_Elphicke

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I always find it weird how central government is dead against councils building up housing stock as revenue generating assets.
    No you dont
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Am I the only one that's Clement Attlee around here?
    Last edited by helgur; July 31 2020 at 09:41:49 PM.

Winston Churchill.

Probably since I'm not British...

Gordon Brown

Wut?

A senior tory mp - an ex minister - has been arrested on suspicion of rape. No word who he is yet, presumably until he is charged. However there aren't many ex ministers in their 50s still in the house, so speculate away (just not out loud). The crime must be significant because it was only reported to the met yesterday.

Another one ?

Didn't one just go down ?
    Maybe there should be an Enquiry.
    Sorry this is crass and immensely undermining. The basic reports suggest a horrific set of sex attacks. Ugh.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...rape-qdm897rv2 (paywalled)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53625829

The Met Police said the allegations relate to four separate incidents alleged to have taken place between July 2019 and January 2020. The MP has been released on bail.

The Conservative Party said it "takes all allegations of this nature extremely seriously".

The Sunday Times, which first reported the story, said the complainant, a woman in her 20s, alleges that the MP assaulted her, forced her to have sex and left her so traumatised that she had to go to hospital.

The Metropolitan Police said it had launched an investigation into the allegations.

"On Friday, 31 July, the Metropolitan Police Service received allegations relating to four separate incidents involving allegations of sexual offences and assault," the force said in a statement.

"These offences are alleged to have occurred at addresses in Westminster, Lambeth and Hackney between July 2019 and January 2020.

"A man in his 50s was arrested on Saturday, 1 August on suspicion of rape. He has been released on bail to return on a date in mid-August."
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush
    idiotic posts out of context

Ahh there we go, Tories having an absolutely normal one.
    A Tory MP arrested on suspicion of rape will not be suspended from the party while investigations are ongoing, the party's whips' office has said.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    A Tory MP arrested on suspicion of rape will not be suspended from the party while investigations are ongoing, the party's whips' office has said.
    Less than a month after removing the whip from a man for the crime of not wanting failing Grayling to continue the government policy of sitting on it's Russian interference dossier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Less than a month after removing the whip from a man for the crime of not wanting failing Grayling to continue the government policy of sitting on it's Russian interference dossier.
    Rape is bad, sure, but he deserves the benefit of the doubt, where that TRAITOR who suggested that his glorious ministerial overlord could be WRONG? He needs to be punished at once.

It's a serving MP and former minister in his 50s.

That means it is one of the following:

Jeremy Hunt
    Chris Grayling
    Greg Clark
    Damian Hinds
    James Brokenshire
    George Freeman
    Sajid Javid
    James Cleverly

If you want to really reach, Liam Fox is technically a former minister.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

I refuse to believe that Hunt could muster the competence to both deliberately and successfully assault anyone or anything. Strike him from the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

My money's on the The Saj

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

If they suspended him then it would effectively remove the anonymity he is granted until being charged.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    If they suspended him then it would effectively remove the anonymity he is granted until being charged.
    But unlike your average suspect if he were exonerated it would be front page news and a glowing personal reference from the prime minister
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

That's a valid point Keckers.

But unlike your average suspect if he were exonerated it would be front page news and a glowing personal reference from the prime minister
    Glowing personal refrence from the Prime Minister first. Exoneration later pls.

FWIW I have no problem with him retaining his anonymity. Suspending the whip immediately would breach that, very publicly. When Parliament introduced the new independent body to enable reporting of misconduct (the ICGS) they also agreed to anonymity for those under investigation. I would hope, given that the entire commons will know who it is, he is at least conducting himself with a degree of reservation while proceedings are ongoing.

My concern would be if he is not charged, or if he is charged and acquitted, there is a good chance the government will use that as an excuse to declare the case closed. This was something significant enough that apparently both the whip and the leader of the commons encouraged the alleged victim to go to the police, and which was sufficiently well-evidenced for the police to arrest a sitting MP within a day of the complaint being made. There might not be enough proof to convict - there so infrequently is in rape cases - but the standards of proof for the commons to take action under the ICGS are much lower.

The problem is that while the ICGS exists and it has proper processes for investigation and hearings, it does not yet have a clear set of sanctions to apply. To quote their own briefing document:

Sanctions
    On 3 May 2019, the Committee launched an inquiry into possible reforms to the system of sanctions for breaches of the rules set out in the Code of Conduct for Members of Parliament.
    The Committee had not completed the inquiry at the time of the dissolution of the 2017 Parliament.
    The Committee reopened the inquiry on 1 June 2020.
    This reopened inquiry recently published its findings and recommendations, but I don't think they've been agreed yet. Parliamentary procedure wonks may read the report here
    Last edited by elmicker; August 3 2020 at 11:04:23 AM.

Might not want to risk a repeat of what happened to Carl Sargeant