hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 746 of 765 FirstFirst ... 246646696736743744745746747748749756 ... LastLast
Results 14,901 to 14,920 of 15297

Thread: (UK EURO THREAD) UK POLITICS MK2

That house in Durham that Classic Dom stayed in when he should have been isolating? It didn't have planning permission, and hadn't had Council Tax paid for it.

Amazing 'rules are for little people' scenes
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    It's entirely possible, there are countries that have managed it. Our challenges are greater but our resources are also greater, so it shouldn't be beyond us.
    Assuming it is possible (I would not bet on any specific western European country to be able to avoid a circuit breaker type lockdown over the winter), the question how long this would take is still important and it won't be done in a few days.

I do of course agree with the overall sentiment that profit motive has no place in test & trace. I don't think it would be a magic bullet that becomes available in a timely manner as there is a low base to start from.
    Korea spent a good while preparing for this sort of situation and is one of the rare ones that has am excellent tracing system.

Still took them years. A bit less pressure but nonetheless. If a country hasn't started doing a proper job on it by now you're prolly right, nowhere in time.

There are also certain European, maybe brit specific laws too really limiting this kinda shit atm which would have to be changed probably. I know over here we've been struggling in informing people while keeping up the ridiculous privacy requirements at least. Although tbf that could also just be Slovenia being real fucking dumb.
    Last edited by Isyel; October 15 2020 at 12:46:51 AM.

It's entirely possible, there are countries that have managed it. Our challenges are greater but our resources are also greater, so it shouldn't be beyond us.
    Assuming it is possible (I would not bet on any specific western European country to be able to avoid a circuit breaker type lockdown over the winter), the question how long this would take is still important and it won't be done in a few days.

I do of course agree with the overall sentiment that profit motive has no place in test & trace. I don't think it would be a magic bullet that becomes available in a timely manner as there is a low base to start from.
    Korea spent a good while preparing for this sort of situation and is one of the rare ones that has am excellent tracing system.

Still took them years. A bit less pressure but nonetheless. If a country hasn't started doing a proper job on it by now you're prolly right, nowhere in time.

There are also certain European, maybe brit specific laws too really limiting this kinda shit atm which would have to be changed probably. I know over here we've been struggling in informing people while keeping up the ridiculous privacy requirements at least. Although tbf that could also just be Slovenia being real fucking dumb.
    Didn't Korea have a pretty big head start with it because the tracing system was set up after (during?) SARS?

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Didn't Korea have a pretty big head start with it because the tracing system was set up after (during?) SARS?
    Yes.

But really the difference is whether or not a country is proactive or reactive. Successful policy is about draconian measures and huge resource expenditure on small outbreaks, if you only really commit once it's already out of control you're never really going to get it back under control without a disproportionately harsh and expensive response.

It's like lowering yourself on a rope, in all scenarios you end up on the bottom... But it's the people that slow themselves at the top that reach the bottom without blisters on their hands, if you wait until you're going too fast before you try to slow down then you get rope burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Privacy laws really aren't the problem, it's the lack of trust certain members of government have cultivated that means we don't trust them to abide by their own privacy policies.

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Privacy laws really aren't the problem, it's the lack of trust certain members of government have cultivated that means we don't trust them to abide by their own privacy policies.
    This. It's hard to trust a government with your information when data protection is basically being run by the lads from Cambridge Analytica and Palantir.

And sadly BoJo has capitulated on his deadline and is now willing to wait to the end of the EU summit on friday.

I can't wait for any recollection of this pathetic government to go straight into the memory hole when the next election rolls around and we get endless fearmongering about Labour by all major media channels.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I can't wait for any recollection of this pathetic government to go straight into the memory hole when the next election rolls around and we get endless fearmongering about Labour by all major media channels.
    When asked the question of whether Alexander Johnson has done a good job with his premiership thus far, there is still a large number of the UK populous that refuse to accept that Johnson and his puppet master, Cummings, have perpetrated an utter failure of a leadership since coming to power and also appear (with some quite strong evidence) to be massively corrupt arseholes to boot, and are of the mindset 'well the others would have done worse'. The pure stupidity of the former statement has me shaking my head. Even the BNP would have struggled to have fucked up as bad as the PM Cummings .. sorry Johnson and his band of merry lickspittles. (tbh, most of the UK population don't even know who Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson is until you say 'Boris').

Its almost as if the majority of the UK has no ability to look at the evidence, find and corroborate facts (my father even argued what the deffinition of fact was until i brought out the dictionary) and will belive anything their chosen media outlet will spout even when it has been proven false by multiple sources.

I've unfortunately drawn the conclusion that my home country is chock full of fucking morons.
    Shitting up eve for .... well, longer than most of you scumbags.

Starmer loses two shadow ministers and one PPS over his whip to abstain on the Covert Human Intelligence Sources bill.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Starmer loses two shadow ministers and one PPS over his whip to abstain on the Covert Human Intelligence Sources bill.
    I can see why he wants to avoid the Tory attack line of 'Labour will allow terrorists free reign' but it'ls an odd thing to whip on when the government will be passing it regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    I can see why he wants to avoid the Tory attack line of 'Labour will allow terrorists free reign' but it'ls an odd thing to whip on when the government will be passing it regardless.
    I don't 'disagree' with this bill. It's been in the news for a few months and the only people that are really objecting against it are the Irish upset about colusion in the 70's and hippies who got knocked up.

They're attacking him on it regardless.

You know Smithers, I'm beginning to think that Sir Keith Haircut is not the Forensic Sensible politician I thought he was...
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

They're attacking him on it regardless.

You know Smithers, I'm beginning to think that Sir Keith Haircut is not the Forensic Sensible politician I thought he was...
    Can you name any sensible senior politician from either side of the bench?

And the EU has not budged in its red lines still. Now we shall see if BoJo really wants his no deal.

After intensive negotiations the UK has finally agreed a trade deal with the powerhouse economy of Ivory Coast that's almost as good as the one they have with the EU. And the only concession we had to make was ripping up the rule saying we can't sell them arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    I don't 'disagree' with this bill. It's been in the news for a few months and the only people that are really objecting against it are the Irish upset about colusion in the 70's and hippies who got knocked up.
    Yeah man, fuck those hippies who didn't actually break any laws, they just got raped by undercover cops and had their entire lives turned upside down when they learnt the person they thought they loved was an undercover cop, what's the big deal eh? So what if they hadn't actually committed any crimes or broken any laws, it's really important to the integrity of our security services that undercover cops can get their ends away because it's really important to their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Yeah man, fuck those hippies who didn't actually break any laws, they just got raped by undercover cops and had their entire lives turned upside down when they learnt the person they thought they loved was an undercover cop, what's the big deal eh? So what if they hadn't actually committed any crimes or broken any laws, it's really important to the integrity of our security services that undercover cops can get their ends away because it's really important to their job.
    Yeah, and fuck the family of Pat Finucane as well. Imagine being upset by having your relative murdered with the help of the RUC despite not breaking any laws https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Finucane

It isn't real covert shit unless you end up commiting suicide by suffociation in a locked bag in your bathtub.