hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: PC Monitor general (formerly stupid meme title)

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    just... why do you need pivoting screens?

Vertical orientation is better suited for a lot of things I use. I don't need my main screen to pivot, just my secondary screen.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Vertical orientation is better suited for a lot of things I use. I don't need my main screen to pivot, just my secondary screen.
    You really should make a post with what you do. Everytime you want to buy something people are surprised by your requirements. It would make these threads a lot more efficient with a lot less "what do you need that for?"

Everyone here is also nerdy enough to really appreciate what sort of research you do and/or what that requires.

Alternatively everyone could just adopt the idea "he wants that because he can." Which is the only reason any of us nerds need to do a pc build (for example).

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Outlook monitor in Portrait Mode is amazeballs!
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    You really should make a post with what you do. Everytime you want to buy something people are surprised by your requirements. It would make these threads a lot more efficient with a lot less "what do you need that for?"

Everyone here is also nerdy enough to really appreciate what sort of research you do and/or what that requires.

Alternatively everyone could just adopt the idea "he wants that because he can." Which is the only reason any of us nerds need to do a pc build (for example).

Tapapapatalk
    At one point I will, at the moment it's mostly rebuilding my life somehow

i have venec memes on portrait monitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

I went from two 1600*1200 20" screens in portrait mode to a single 2560*1600 30" screen.

End result is the same vertical estate but as a single screen.
    How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.

Samsung Odessy G7 or G9 4tw.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Samsung Odessy G7 or G9 4tw.
    ... but CAN IT PORTRAIT!?

Seriously though, portrait can be useful for vertically oriented workflows like coding, working with documents or e-mails as mentioned. 1440 is a bit narrow for a lot of that stuff though.

My personal experience and preference is a single, large display. Both a 3440x1440 and indeed the 5120x1440 resolutions gives you ample space both vertically and, more importantly, for side by side work. Rarely when I code, I use just one window. You usually have at least one or two other windows open to check documentation, your output or whatever. That way, it's handy to stick stuff next to each other and not have to switch focus to another monitor. YMMV though.

At the moment I have a "Ascended" setup with a 49" (5120x1440) as my main monitor, and a 34" (3440x1440) stacked on top - but it's partly because I haven't sold the 34" yet, a little because I can and mostly because it looks hella cool. It's a semi-useful setup for stuff I just need to park somewhere and glance at now and then (say, a VM, a ticker, a dashboard or whatever) but don't really have to interact with, but not really worth buying an extra monitor for.

I'm willing to put down some money on a hypothesis that a rather high percentage of multi monitor setups are there because A) people haven't looked at UWD, and B) it looks cool. Skewed towards B).

Multi monitor is better when you also want to game, because your native res is way more supported, and you can have 1 display do 144Hz+ for that, and the other's fine at ~75Hz when used for everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Multi monitor is better when you also want to game, because your native res is way more supported, and you can have 1 display do 144Hz+ for that, and the other's fine at ~75Hz when used for everything else.
    That's true, at least for stuff like 5120x1440. For 3440x1440, it's natively supported by virtually every game released in the last 3-5 years.

Still ~34% more pixels vs usual 1440p, comparable hit to your fps. Just something to consider.

Running a 3440x1440 display in 144 Hz territory is demanding, for sure. Depending on settings and the games you play, I'd say it ranges from 2080 Super territory to 3070, some games can be done on a 1080 Ti but then you are on medium minus mostly. 144 Hz and higher settings will be in 3080 territory, and similar to 4K gaming requirements. Something to consider though. Gaming in 2540x1440 is vastly, and completely diffrent from playing in 3440x1440. Going wider starts having issues, but after gaming in UW, I'm never going back to the narrow streets of 2K gaming.

So yeah, it is demaning, and require more than you might think. I've gamed on a 100 Hz UW 34" for three years though, and my 1080 Ti has mostly done the job decently. If you want > 100 Hz and decent quality, you are looking at monitors in the $800-1000+ range, so a decent GPU should be part of the equation (not that you can buy them anyhow right now).

I have 3 displays in a Keepstar configuration. (some people here still play eve, right?)
    One horizontal and 2 vertical on each side.

I could not fit 3 screens in another configuration on my desk unless I put one on top of another and that is too much vertical headmoving.

The vertical on the left usually has some kind of documentation or reference.
    The vertical on the right has a browser or a browser and a video player.
    the middle is where my eyes mostly are when working/playing/whatever.

Eve is the exception, because then I have a client on each display.

I find it very useful to have vertical screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    I went from two 1600*1200 20" screens in portrait mode to a single 2560*1600 30" screen.

I can't stress enough that I don't want a single screen. Various reasons why not:
    - driving 2x 1440p is not necessarily easier than driving one 4k, but I can choose to e.g. run a game on the main screen and have chats and stuff on the other without kneecapping my GPU or having to alt-tab all the damn time;
    - portrait is for having documentation on one screen whilst I do stuff on the main screen. Having separate screens is essential because fuck resizing windows 'n' shit - especially since some programs have a retarded habit of concealing toolbars when you resize the window from full screen (colour me surprised UX designers are retarded);
    - concerning applications, I really do need sometimes to have Premiere on one screen and After Effects on the other and at times Audition on a third screen. You simply can't work efficiently with all three on a single screen - I have been finding that out the hard way recently;
    - when I do renders I keep my main screen loaded with the essentials whilst all progress bars and other tiles are on the secondary screen;
    - ditto for capture 1 pro, 2 monitors+ are great as you can split stuffs amongst them;
    - two screens+ can be oriented the way you want them. I can't bend a 30'' screen and I dislike curved monitors like I dislike asparagus. I dislike asparagus. A lot.
    - one big ass screen means one big ass stand. Or you use an aftermarket stand. Either way, it's +effort and it's a pain to rearrange;
    - one screen means if it dies, you're fucked; it happened and I don't want to be there again, it involves extra spending and extra time lost, you can use the other screen(s) if one dies if it's a multi monitor setup and whilst you're waiting on warranty/repairs for the deceased screen;
    - DPI. I can't stress this enough either. 1440p (2560x1440) on 27'' looks crisp AF, on 30+ not so much. It's disturbing to see your phone has crisper text than your PC screen, is this the PCMR or what are we talking about here;
    - panels. Large high performance panels with good colours - think 144Hz+ IPS - AND good QC - these are expensive. I paid around 700 quid for my PG279Q and I feel it was worth every penny but every extra inch added to its specs added hundreds of pounds. I'd rather have a really good smaller panel in duplicate/triplicate than one mediocre larger panel just because #sizematters (hint: it does, but not in the way you think );
    - because at times I have side projects that require me to cannibalize a screen - let's say I need to do a presentation on my Mac (sorry but 27'' 1440p >> 15'' retina no matter what Apple says) or try out a Linux distro or a raspberry Pi video out put or I want to play on my PS3 or whatever - all these whilst my main PC is still on. Yeah you can switch inputs and stuff. Not the same thing;
    - because Windows is shit at actually allowing you to use ONE screen to the best of it's capabilities; PowerToys somehow helps with this; so is Linux, OS X is slightly better with Better Snap Tool (surprised that still works, money well spent there); multiple screens are easier to manage in terms of arranging stuff on them so that stuff doesn't overlap when you do stuff;
    - yes, there definitely is a cool factor associated with multiple screens. I like that too, but it isn't the main reason I'm keen on multiple monitors rather than a big screen with the same "real estate".
    Last edited by Cosmin; November 30 2020 at 08:42:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    I have 3 displays in a Keepstar configuration. (some people here still play eve, right?)
    One horizontal and 2 vertical on each side.

I could not fit 3 screens in another configuration on my desk unless I put one on top of another and that is too much vertical headmoving.

The vertical on the left usually has some kind of documentation or reference.
    The vertical on the right has a browser or a browser and a video player.
    the middle is where my eyes mostly are when working/playing/whatever.

Eve is the exception, because then I have a client on each display.

I find it very useful to have vertical screens.
    About this, wtf is up with web design these days. You get so many websites that are actually using only 1/3 of the horizontal real estate (probably designed so they fit on phones a lot better) but fk me why do I use a wide monitor if when I maximize the damn window it's filled with nonsense 2/3s (mostly ads that are blocked via pihole and adblock/ghostery/etc) and has only 1/3 actual content. It's why using a vertical screen for browsing actually makes sense as well

Having extra EvE clients on vertical screens sounds like a real interesting proposition though, are they windowed and still in a 16:9 format or 5:4?

About this, wtf is up with web design these days. You get so many websites that are actually using only 1/3 of the horizontal real estate (probably designed so they fit on phones a lot better) but fk me why do I use a wide monitor if when I maximize the damn window it's filled with nonsense 2/3s (mostly ads that are blocked via pihole and adblock/ghostery/etc) and has only 1/3 actual content. It's why using a vertical screen for browsing actually makes sense as well
    It's actually the same reason printed papers use columns, wide text lines are just worse to read.

Use Fancy Zones if you want more control over 2 browers side by side per window.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

I can't stress enough that I don't want a single screen. Various reasons why not:
    - driving 2x 1440p is not necessarily easier than driving one 4k, but I can choose to e.g. run a game on the main screen and have chats and stuff on the other without kneecapping my GPU or having to alt-tab all the damn time;
    - portrait is for having documentation on one screen whilst I do stuff on the main screen. Having separate screens is essential because fuck resizing windows 'n' shit - especially since some programs have a retarded habit of concealing toolbars when you resize the window from full screen (colour me surprised UX designers are retarded);
    - concerning applications, I really do need sometimes to have Premiere on one screen and After Effects on the other and at times Audition on a third screen. You simply can't work efficiently with all three on a single screen - I have been finding that out the hard way recently;
    - when I do renders I keep my main screen loaded with the essentials whilst all progress bars and other tiles are on the secondary screen;
    - ditto for capture 1 pro, 2 monitors+ are great as you can split stuffs amongst them;
    - two screens+ can be oriented the way you want them. I can't bend a 30'' screen and I dislike curved monitors like I dislike asparagus. I dislike asparagus. A lot.
    - one big ass screen means one big ass stand. Or you use an aftermarket stand. Either way, it's +effort and it's a pain to rearrange;
    - one screen means if it dies, you're fucked; it happened and I don't want to be there again, it involves extra spending and extra time lost, you can use the other screen(s) if one dies if it's a multi monitor setup and whilst you're waiting on warranty/repairs for the deceased screen;
    - DPI. I can't stress this enough either. 1440p (2560x1440) on 27'' looks crisp AF, on 30+ not so much. It's disturbing to see your phone has crisper text than your PC screen, is this the PCMR or what are we talking about here;
    - panels. Large high performance panels with good colours - think 144Hz+ IPS - AND good QC - these are expensive. I paid around 700 quid for my PG279Q and I feel it was worth every penny but every extra inch added to its specs added hundreds of pounds. I'd rather have a really good smaller panel in duplicate/triplicate than one mediocre larger panel just because #sizematters (hint: it does, but not in the way you think );
    - because at times I have side projects that require me to cannibalize a screen - let's say I need to do a presentation on my Mac (sorry but 27'' 1440p >> 15'' retina no matter what Apple says) or try out a Linux distro or a raspberry Pi video out put or I want to play on my PS3 or whatever - all these whilst my main PC is still on. Yeah you can switch inputs and stuff. Not the same thing;
    - because Windows is shit at actually allowing you to use ONE screen to the best of it's capabilities; PowerToys somehow helps with this; so is Linux, OS X is slightly better with Better Snap Tool (surprised that still works, money well spent there); multiple screens are easier to manage in terms of arranging stuff on them so that stuff doesn't overlap when you do stuff;
    - yes, there definitely is a cool factor associated with multiple screens. I like that too, but it isn't the main reason I'm keen on multiple monitors rather than a big screen with the same "real estate".
    so just say that in your post ffs, don't try and be mysterious otherwise you'll get replies like mine the others going 'wtf why'

we don't care what reason you have, just trying to be helpful but it's hard to be helpful if you don't know the context.

I'm sorry teds, it wasn't my intention to cause confusion. The thing is a lot of people (a lot of times rightfully so) that people asking for very narrow spec recommendations don't actually know what they want. When it comes to hardware (unlike my personal life lol) I really do know what I want and the reasons why

And you really need to make a post about your hobbies and research projects that you can link every time that discussion pops up.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget