hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 123 of 156 FirstFirst ... 2373113120121122123124125126133 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 3102

Thread: Dos Dedos Mis Amigos (USA Civil Unrest Thread)

  1. #2441
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    15,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    That's fake, right?

    If it isn't, I just don't even fucking know any more. This world is too weird.
    Would it really be surprising that the ultra-libertarian, Govt. Authorities can go fuck themselves, muh' rights and freedoms extremist would fall on the side against the State and it's Police brutality against individuals?

    I mean if we just presume he is a racist, because he's a ultra-libertarian, sure. I hadn't heard anything about him being racist before, but who knows.

    Libertarians SHOULD be 100% for BLM, at least the part about the State not abusing people and killing people certainly.
    I'd say there a non-zero chance he is a racist, but I agree there is no evidence (I've seen) he is at all. The rest of your post is spot on and absolutely what we _should_ expect from actual Libertarians.
    meh

  2. #2442
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,402
    the amount of actual libertarians in the states is probably less than 1% than the people that claim to be libertarians.

  3. #2443
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    15,279
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
      Spoiler:
    That's fake, right?

    If it isn't, I just don't even fucking know any more. This world is too weird.
    Would it really be surprising that the ultra-libertarian, Govt. Authorities can go fuck themselves, muh' rights and freedoms extremist would fall on the side against the State and it's Police brutality against individuals?

    I mean if we just presume he is a racist, because he's a ultra-libertarian, sure. I hadn't heard anything about him being racist before, but who knows.

    Libertarians SHOULD be 100% for BLM, at least the part about the State not abusing people and killing people certainly.
    I'd say there a non-zero chance he is a racist, but I agree there is no evidence (I've seen) he is at all. The rest of your post is spot on and absolutely what we _should_ expect from actual Libertarians.
    Agreed.

    And I get it, no shortage of "Libertarians" are really me-first, fuck-you people.

    If you're going to stand up for peoples rights, you damn sure better stand up for everyone having those rights without any form of discrimination in who gets to enjoy them. Many of my progressive policy positions are really just libertarianism.

    I tend to think of Libertarian as social policy, not fiscal policy. Too many folks want to make it both, and I just don't think it fits. I can see happily being a Libertarian Socialist, for example, I don't think Libertarian has to be hand in hand with Vulture Capitalist Exploiter, per se.
    Last edited by Alistair; July 30 2020 at 08:35:30 PM.


  4. #2444
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,402
    I don't have much of an issue with libertarian socialist ideals, its just that they are most of like I said, people claiming to be libertarians and are in fact vultures. Even socialist groups with strong state ideals are weak towards this vulture problem imo. If any change comes from our current times I really hope hunting and keeping the vultures at bay is part of it.

  5. #2445

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    617
    As with most political terminology, the US social landscape has twisted the original meaning of Libertarian to the point where it's just a bunch of shitbags masturbating to Ayn Rand.

  6. #2446
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    That's fake, right?

    If it isn't, I just don't even fucking know any more. This world is too weird.
    Would it really be surprising that the ultra-libertarian, Govt. Authorities can go fuck themselves, muh' rights and freedoms extremist would fall on the side against the State and it's Police brutality against individuals?

    I mean if we just presume he is a racist, because he's a ultra-libertarian, sure. I hadn't heard anything about him being racist before, but who knows.

    Libertarians SHOULD be 100% for BLM, at least the part about the State not abusing people and killing people certainly.
    Yes, because historically those people have had the square root of fuck all issue with "them" getting the jackboot to the face, except possibly that they're not allowed to join in.

    And my evidence is the reaction of his followers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  7. #2447
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,666
    two nights in Portland with no aggressive police/DHS presence and the protest becoming basically a bloc party, as the usually do when they're not getting gassed for no reason.
    idk what to think anymore, it doesn't really make any sense from a optics perspective and it just makes the DHS look like the terrible shitters they are.

    the expectation was outside instigation would ensure the whole thing would continue to be a shitshow, instead the feds pulled out, things calmed down and the PPD aren't anywhere to be seen either and it's just a normal street protest. handing operational control over to the state troopers made a enormous difference. and the people in Portland could definitely use the break but it also makes a whole lot of people both in Oregon and Washington look incredibly bad.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  8. #2448

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    7,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    two nights in Portland with no aggressive police/DHS presence and the protest becoming basically a bloc party, as the usually do when they're not getting gassed for no reason.
    idk what to think anymore, it doesn't really make any sense from a optics perspective and it just makes the DHS look like the terrible shitters they are.

    the expectation was outside instigation would ensure the whole thing would continue to be a shitshow, instead the feds pulled out, things calmed down and the PPD aren't anywhere to be seen either and it's just a normal street protest. handing operational control over to the state troopers made a enormous difference. and the people in Portland could definitely use the break but it also makes a whole lot of people both in Oregon and Washington look incredibly bad.
    Next you will be suggesting something silly like drone strikes and invasions not working about terrorist organizations because they antagonize the whole population?

  9. #2449
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,666
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    two nights in Portland with no aggressive police/DHS presence and the protest becoming basically a bloc party, as the usually do when they're not getting gassed for no reason.
    idk what to think anymore, it doesn't really make any sense from a optics perspective and it just makes the DHS look like the terrible shitters they are.

    the expectation was outside instigation would ensure the whole thing would continue to be a shitshow, instead the feds pulled out, things calmed down and the PPD aren't anywhere to be seen either and it's just a normal street protest. handing operational control over to the state troopers made a enormous difference. and the people in Portland could definitely use the break but it also makes a whole lot of people both in Oregon and Washington look incredibly bad.
    Next you will be suggesting something silly like drone strikes and invasions not working about terrorist organizations because they antagonize the whole population?
    it's more "why expend all these resources, especially in political capital on a fucking nothingburger ?" they've gone all the way past the full fascism threshold, the last of the 14 checkboxes has been marked with the "postpone elections" statement, the political career of anybody even remotely with the administration is going to be tainted by precisely this. indeed every indication so far has been the intent was to run the protests in portland up enough to justify "sending in the army" to give the part of the republican base howling for blood something to be distracted by while everything gets looted out from under them and double down on establishing a authoritarian power structure, but now, it's just... nothing, there's no payoff at this point. evictions are picking up, unemployment is still going up, COVID mitigation measures have stranded entirely, we're at the final stretch of the road towards the sort of crisis that can be used to justify a strongman taking the reins and get the establishment on board with the idea and there's fucking nothing at a time where the paramilitary wing should be out on the street, fighting for law and order against the anarchiist agitators. (yes, the DHS is basically the fascist paramilitary wing in this context, let's not pretend otherwise)

    maybe it's down to that state trooper guy being good at his job (i mean that sincerely, often doing nothing is the hardest thing to do, but it's the right response right now), but that would in turn mean that we should have seen something last night as "outside agitators" would have ensured things went awry, granted there has been attempts at setting fire to the holy fence and a bit of fireworks, but nothing beyond what could be expected and no disproportionate response as you would expect from a setup. it was also stopped by the protestors, further indicating it's "organic" rather than "spiked" events.

    doing the drawdown only make sense if it's a setup for a larger payoff, say a burning justice center on every cable news network. hoping it happens "organically" could explain one evening/night of quiet, but two ? that's dangerously close to letting all the air out of the balloon.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  10. #2450
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,943
    You say all that as if the administration has a clue what they are doing. I'm not so sure they do.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  11. #2451
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    You say all that as if the administration has a clue what they are doing. I'm not so sure they do.
    everything since that "show of force" in DC with the church has been at least somewhat coordinated towards producing such a outcome, the narrative doesn't simply appear out of thin air, it's being fanned by actors with a interest in escalating tensions and the way the administration has been endlessly fuelling the tensions indicate they're in on it to some extend. there have been so many places where they could have chosen to de-escalate and actively choose to pour on the gas that incompetence is functionally ruled out, and the administration as a whole has been on brand and on point with it consistently.

    a thought that struck me earlier is, if the left in the US was more militant, and more organized than it is, the flashpoint would already have happened, probably around the point the feds started actively maiming people in Portland with less-lethals. maybe it's a "fuck this, we're giving up, we can't actually get a rise out of these fucking hippies no matter how hard we try ?"
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  12. #2452
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,402
    If you haven't seen that the ineptitude is a way more dangerous thing so far than the supposed mastermind 8d chess you think Trump is playing, you arent gonna listen to reason. The reactions of the administration are just succeeding because America is so fucked and dysfunctional in its core.

    It's scary as fuck to think that's the truth of it, but honestly living here and seeing in action over and over, there's no grand plan, and that is the scariest part of it all.

  13. #2453
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    If you haven't seen that the ineptitude is a way more dangerous thing so far than the supposed mastermind 8d chess you think Trump is playing, you arent gonna listen to reason. The reactions of the administration are just succeeding because America is so fucked and dysfunctional in its core.

    It's scary as fuck to think that's the truth of it, but honestly living here and seeing in action over and over, there's no grand plan, and that is the scariest part of it all.
    there's really no 8d chess over it, exploiting a crisis to consolidate power is older than the written word, and helping perception of the crisis along is scarcely less so. that trump is functionally demented doesn't change the underlying patterns at work here. if it was mere ineptitude and dysfunction you would see at least some parts of the federal apparatus attempt to placate and de-escalate while the DHS did their thing, you did not despite multiple opportunities to do so.

    i am pretty sure trump is functionally just a demented old orange sock-puppet at this point, one that doesn't actually stick to the issued speeches either, but that does not mean that the rest of the administration are also demented, incompetent and just "acting in good faith".
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  14. #2454
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,943
    The change in intensity could be the result of a power struggle playing out internally and a loss of control somewhere which we aren't privy to.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  15. #2455
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    The change in intensity could be the result of a power struggle playing out internally and a loss of control somewhere which we aren't privy to.
    considering how many catty bitches there are in trumps administration, that would have leaked out by now.

    besides, sanity and pushback setting in, at this stage ? that's almost like Eichmann doing a "are we the baddies?" unless it's somebody getting cut out.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  16. #2456
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,666
    "normality" reasserts itself.

    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  17. #2457
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,402
    As long as its your neighbor its ok right?!

  18. #2458
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    15,279


  19. #2459
    dzajic's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15, 2011
    Posts
    3,690
    Mr Alistair, there must be more trustworthy source than the NY Post surely?

  20. #2460
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,666
    what are you even trying to say anyway Alistair ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •