hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 186 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 3709

Thread: Dos Dedos Mis Amigos (USA Civil Unrest Thread)

  1. #21
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,204
    Been too long since we had this thread.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1S62SY

    Former Minnesota policeman convicted in fatal shooting of Australian woman

    MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - A former Minneapolis police officer on Tuesday was found guilty of murder for fatally shooting an Australian woman from his patrol car while responding to her 2017 report of a possible sex assault near her home.

    Mohamed Noor, 33, was convicted of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter for killing 40-year-old Justine Ruszczyk Damond outside her home near Minneapolis. The incident drew international criticism, including from Australia’s prime minister, who called the incident “shocking.”

    He was acquitted of second-degree intentional murder.

    Noor sat silently through the reading of the verdict with his hands cupped, breathing heavily. The packed courtroom remained silent.

    Noor was handcuffed and taken into custody after the jury’s decision.

    Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman told a news conference he expected Noor to face 12-1/2 years in prison for the murder charge and four years for the manslaughter charge when he is sentenced on June 7.

    “This was a tragic shooting that did not have to happen and should not have happened,” Freeman said. “It does not give us pleasure to call out police wrongdoing.”

    Freeman said it marks the first time a police officer in Minnesota was convicted of murder.
    Local source: http://www.startribune.com/mohamed-n...ice/509224642/
    Noor’s defense attorney Thomas Plunkett argued that Noor remain free pending sentencing, saying that “Mr. Noor has conducted himself professionally and honorably throughout the entire case.” Judge Kathryn Quaintance declined the request, and Noor was escorted away by deputies.
    "Oh, please, your honor. Let my client, accused of murder, walk in public because he hasn't been sentenced yet!"

    No. Fuck you. If there was ever a crime to warrant being locked up during trial, it's murder.
    Last edited by Nordstern; May 1 2019 at 02:14:45 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

  2. #22
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,226
    I mean this thread basically merged with the US politics thread because America is having one of those moments.

    Also: note that cops only seem to get punished when it’s a brown/black cop killing/maiming/raping a white person, especially a white woman.

    Wonder why.

    Fun thing: building management at work sent a notice warning us about tomorrow’s May Day March in downtown Seattle, warning us about “anti-capitalist” hooliganism.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 25, 2012
    Posts
    2,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Been too long since we had this thread.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1S62SY

    Former Minnesota policeman convicted in fatal shooting of Australian woman

    MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - A former Minneapolis police officer on Tuesday was found guilty of murder for fatally shooting an Australian woman from his patrol car while responding to her 2017 report of a possible sex assault near her home.

    Mohamed Noor, 33, was convicted of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter for killing 40-year-old Justine Ruszczyk Damond outside her home near Minneapolis. The incident drew international criticism, including from Australia’s prime minister, who called the incident “shocking.”

    He was acquitted of second-degree intentional murder.

    Noor sat silently through the reading of the verdict with his hands cupped, breathing heavily. The packed courtroom remained silent.

    Noor was handcuffed and taken into custody after the jury’s decision.

    Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman told a news conference he expected Noor to face 12-1/2 years in prison for the murder charge and four years for the manslaughter charge when he is sentenced on June 7.

    “This was a tragic shooting that did not have to happen and should not have happened,” Freeman said. “It does not give us pleasure to call out police wrongdoing.”

    Freeman said it marks the first time a police officer in Minnesota was convicted of murder.
    Local source: http://www.startribune.com/mohamed-n...ice/509224642/
    Noor’s defense attorney Thomas Plunkett argued that Noor remain free pending sentencing, saying that “Mr. Noor has conducted himself professionally and honorably throughout the entire case.” Judge Kathryn Quaintance declined the request, and Noor was escorted away by deputies.
    "Oh, please, your honor. Let my client, accused of murder, walk in public because he hasn't been sentenced yet!"

    No. Fuck you. If there was ever a crime to warrant being locked up during trial, it's murder.
    August 19, 2014

    Minneapolis police struggle to hire diverse force

    Despite years of diversity plans, Minneapolis comes up short on black and Hispanic officers.
      Spoiler:
    inb4 bait
    http://puu.sh/kTSQD/2e39d12cac.png
    http://i.imgur.com/AfHQMwR.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/sQRclby.png

  4. #24

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,928
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    If only the newspapermen had guns, this wouldn't have happened.

    :thinkingraptor.jpg: if redistribution of wealth also included firearms, maybe democracy in the USA could work again?

    Hey, what happened with that recent synagogoue shooting anyways? The one where a firefight between the assailant and the congregation ensued?


    Last i heard it was probably hired security, but i like to imagine a bunch of ultraorthodox jews with hunting rifles on the roof, LA korean style.

    What a fucked up country.

  5. #25
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,226
    No, apparently dude’s gun jammed, and security (without firearms) was able to drive the dude off. Haven’t heard anything about a firefight.

    Sauce: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/o...itism.amp.html

    “One of our congregants that day, Almog Peretz, a veteran of the Israeli Defense Forces, ran after me to help get the children to safety and took a bullet in the leg. His eight-year-old niece, Noya Dahan, took some shrapnel to hers. Then an amazing miracle occurred: The terrorist’s gun jammed. Two other heroic congregants — an Army veteran named Oscar Stewart and an off-duty border patrol agent named Jonathan Morales — rushed toward him and he fled.”

  6. #26
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,204
    Noor gets 12 1/2 years.

    A former Minneapolis police officer was sentenced on Friday to 12 1/2 years in prison for fatally shooting a woman who had called 911 to report a possible sexual assault in the alley behind her home.

    Mohamed Noor, 33, was convicted of third-degree murder and manslaughter in April in the death of Justine Ruszczyk in July 2017, a month before she was to be married.

    Noor's attorney had asked the judge for leniency, saying the remorseful ex-officer hopes to make amends for killing Ruszczyk, who was also known as Justine Damond and who held both U.S. and Australian citizenship.

    "I caused this tragedy and it is my burden," Noor told the court, according to member station Minnesota Public Radio. He added: "I worked to be good at my job and bring people together. I hoped to make individual lives better. That was my hope. Taking a life so tragically goes against all of that."

    But Judge Kathryn Quaintance was unswayed, following the recommendation under state guidelines.

    "The act may have been based on a miscalculation, but it was an intentional act," Quaintance said. "Good people sometimes do bad things."
    https://www.npr.org/2019/06/07/73069...med-911-caller
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

  7. #27
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,204
    Belligerent Southern woman tazed for not complying with police. Very satisfying.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/JusticeServ...eing_from_the/
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

  8. #28
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,226
    Uhh this isn’t the thread for celebrating use of excessive force by police, I don’t think?

  9. #29
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Uhh this isn’t the thread for celebrating use of excessive force by police, I don’t think?
    As good a one as any. I don't really see it as excessive, but maybe we get numb to that stuff in the States.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  10. #30
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,226
    I just don’t know that it ever really makes sense to electrocute an old woman. Just saying.

  11. #31
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,228
    After a long day of work and getting kicked in the nuts, I might get there, if I thought I could get away with it
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  12. #32
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,281
    He had several opportunities to deescalate before she drove off which he didn't even attempt.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  13. #33
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,204
    Police Owe Nothing To Man Whose Home They Blew Up, Appeals Court Says

    An armed shoplifting suspect in Colorado barricaded himself in a stranger's suburban Denver home in June 2015. In an attempt to force the suspect out, law enforcement blew up walls with explosives, fired tear gas and drove a military-style armored vehicle through the property's doors.

    After an hours-long siege, the home was left with shredded walls and blown-out windows. In some parts of the interior, the wood framing was exposed amid a mountain of debris.

    A federal appeals court in Denver ruled this week that the homeowner, who had no connection to the suspect, isn't entitled to be compensated, because the police were acting to preserve the safety of the public.

    "Under no circumstances in this country should the government be able to blow up your house and render a family homeless," Leo Lech, the house's owner, told NPR. "This family was thrown out into the street without any recourse."

    Lawyers for Lech argued that the police's destruction of his home was a violation of the Constitution's Takings Clause, which says private property cannot be taken for public use without "just compensation." But the problem with that argument, the appeals court ruled, is that courts have long held that police cannot be on the hook for property damage caused in the process of trying to make an arrest.

    "As unfair as it may seem, the Takings Clause simply does not entitle all aggrieved owners to recompense," the appeals court wrote.

    ......

    The city of Greenwood Village condemned Lech's home. It was completely razed to a vacant lot, and Lech said he has spent around $400,000 rebuilding it — not to mention the $28,000 in legal fees he also incurred as he pursued compensation from the city and police.

    City officials paid Lech's family $5,000 in compensation, a sum that Lech's lawyer deemed "unconscionable."

    ......

    The case turns on legal technicalities about whether police acting in their official capacity can ever be seen as exerting eminent domain — when the government seizes private property for public use.

    The appeals court, affirming the lower court, ruled that police attempting to make an arrest cannot be considered eminent domain, even when a property is severely damaged.

    In fact, the court stated, when police are performing their public safety duties, they cannot be "burdened with the condition" that they pay for property damage.

    The court noted that if police officers "willfully or wantonly" destroy property, they can be sued in a civil tort case. Lech tried to pursue that legal argument in Colorado state court, but he was not successful.


    Un-fucking-real.
    Last edited by Nordstern; October 31 2019 at 02:29:09 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

  14. #34
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,226
    Yeah this was not a takings clause or eminent domain case.

    Though off the top of my head I can’t think of any better angles of approach. There isn’t really a way to punish the police for acting unreasonably.

    Be curious to see if the Supreme Court grants cert.

  15. #35
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,289
    See, this is why Clarence Thomas is the least worst justice

    He hardly bothers with the dumb arguments about why people don't deserve healthcare or why the cops don't need to pay for a destroyed house.

    There's a lot of pretense worked into the court system that is just a giant jerkoff gesture at the end of the day

  16. #36
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,226
    That’s not wrong.

    Though at the level Thomas is playing at, he has the power to be much more influential if he wants to be.

    I mean I think the technical legal answer is that the shoplifter (really, they called in SWAT to catch a shoplifter?) is the party liable for the damage to the property, since it was damaged in the crime of resisting arrest and evading police, and thus the shoplifter is responsible for whatever damage resulted from the “necessary” actions the police took to effect the arrest.

    But yeah, the police should be responsible here.

    Also, isn’t this the plot of Demolition Man?

  17. #37
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    (really, they called in SWAT to catch a shoplifter?)
    He was an armed shoplifter, which necessitated over 100 officers responding.

    What is this, the first mission in GTA5?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

  18. #38
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,226
    That’s a clever choice of words. We generally call “armed shoplifting” “robbery.” This suggests dude was a shoplifter who happened to have a gun on him, and then shot at the cops (stupid motherfucker) during the pursuit.

  19. #39
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    That’s not wrong.

    Though at the level Thomas is playing at, he has the power to be much more influential if he wants to be.

    I mean I think the technical legal answer is that the shoplifter (really, they called in SWAT to catch a shoplifter?) is the party liable for the damage to the property, since it was damaged in the crime of resisting arrest and evading police, and thus the shoplifter is responsible for whatever damage resulted from the “necessary” actions the police took to effect the arrest.

    But yeah, the police should be responsible here.

    Also, isn’t this the plot of Demolition Man?
    I was thinking SWAT - when they use that giant grappling hook to tear a wall down.

  20. #40
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    17,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    That’s not wrong.

    Though at the level Thomas is playing at, he has the power to be much more influential if he wants to be.

    I mean I think the technical legal answer is that the shoplifter (really, they called in SWAT to catch a shoplifter?) is the party liable for the damage to the property, since it was damaged in the crime of resisting arrest and evading police, and thus the shoplifter is responsible for whatever damage resulted from the “necessary” actions the police took to effect the arrest.

    But yeah, the police should be responsible here.

    Also, isn’t this the plot of Demolition Man?
    Sue the shoplifters parents for allowing him to fall into a life of crime. Its really their fault anyway.
    meh

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •