hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Col Pat Burger Schuldt, HP Contractor. AKA How does this scam work?

Question Col Pat Burger Schuldt, HP Contractor. AKA How does this scam work?

I'm just curious, it's obviously a scam but what's the scam here exactly? ID Theft? I can't imagine it being a modern form of check fraud since a transaction this big would be flagged immediately.

TL;DR for those who find this hard to follow:

Col Schuldt asks me if I have the vehicle. The next day Mr. Burger asks for more photos. I respond to Mr. Burger who proceeds to ask me if I want to do the transaction via PayPal. Col Schuldt then follows up on being happy with the photos (that I sent to Mr. Burger) and asks for PayPal again.

I guess being obviously stupid is a requirement for scammers to weed out anybody with half a brain.

paypal the buyer can reverse charges due to whatever reason they want and there's p. much fuck all you can do about it... So they get a free car.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    paypal the buyer can reverse charges due to whatever reason they want and there's p. much fuck all you can do about it... So they get a free car.
    AKA: Felony Fraud. No way will PayPal just haphazardly let a new account receive a $13K (my asking price) transaction without any questions.

AKA: Felony Fraud. No way will PayPal just haphazardly let a new account receive a $13K (my asking price) transaction without any questions.

Just wait to give them the car until you transfer the money from your paypal acct to your bank acct?

imagine trying to scam an eve player and not even remembering to use the same fake person in each contact, really sloppy shit

Its most likely using captured paypal, possibly funneling multiple paypals into one to send you the money right when the "agent" comes for pickup. And off he drives with a car and youre shit out of money.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Also beware the people who want to send you a check for more than the agreed amount and say the extra is for "the movers", which just so happen to be their friends. You pay the movers with your own money, they take the car, cancel the original check, and now you're out your property and whatever you paid the movers.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Using checks after the year 2000...

Selling more unusual/expensive cars is such a pita. The first 4 contacts I got last time were all obvious scams that all lost interest when I stated "Money in my account and the keys are in your hand. We can sign the contract at my bank". Pricks.

If you wouldn't live beyond the ocean i'd take the car for free without any hassle. You don't even need to clean it, i take it as filthy as it is.

Sell it to CarMax. Done and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Sell it to CarMax. Done and done.
    This.

Even if you manage to complete a legit person-to-person trade deal, it is a major hassle to find a legit buyer. The same applies when you want to buy. Using a legit escrow service would make things much better, but alas, that's what CarMax essentially is. You will be underpaid (the fee for the service) but you get rid of your car hassle free.

Some places you can even be held liable for damage in the car you sell, like defective brakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    You have WAY too much faith in PayPal. You can only be assured of one thing with PayPal, they will take the scammer's side.

Quote Originally Posted by spasm View Post
    You have WAY too much faith in PayPal. You can only be assured of one thing with PayPal, they will take the PayPal's side while laughing at everyone that silly enough to trust them with funds.
    ftfy

I guess being obviously stupid is a requirement for scammers to weed out anybody with half a brain.
    Yes.

There is a trend here at the moment where scammers demand payment in iTunes gift cards ... while impersonating well-known commercial businesses, or even the Australian Tax Office.

Government asking for payment in iTunes gift carts. Now I've seen everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

The damned phone scammers have reached plague proportions here.

They redirect through an Australian phone number to conceal their real country of origin.

The ones I have recently received.

A recorded message purporting to be from the ATO stating that I have been fined and need to ring X number to avoid legal action.

A person claiming I was involved in an accident and am being sued.

People pretending to do polling who start asking for personal information.

Auto-dialers who ring constantly but disconnect because no scammer is available to take the call.

The old "We are from Microsoft and we have detected a problem with your computer" scam.

People claiming to be from Telstra.

And so on.

I pretty much let the phone go to message because scammers don't leave them. Once I used to fuck with them but seriously they just keep calling and calling.

Fuckers.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Paypal is shit and should never bee trusted to handle larger transactions anyways.

Smuggo
    Always get cash m8s.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Always get cash m8s.
    Hurr, got paid in cash when I sold my old e90. Such a hassle getting all those bills into my account. There's hardly any banks left that will handle cash ffs. And don't get me started on when they're actually open for business..