hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: God Hates America (Natural Disaster Thread)

Pretty sure if Hurricane Irma hit the Netherlands the whole country would go underwater, the dikes aren't made to stop that kind of storm.

Also nine feet? Try thirty. 9m to euros.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Pretty sure if Hurricane Irma hit the Netherlands the whole country would go underwater, the dikes aren't made to stop that kind of storm.

I read this and had an image of a massive line of Dutch lesbians trying desperately to block a stormwall

Ayyy lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Why do Americans always make such a big deal about their natural disasters? It happens all over the world you know and I bet your media doesnt even mention stuff like that
    Yes, but you're mistaking your sadjevec hangover for a natural disaster, even though it is close.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
    We were talking about first-world countries. I mean it's all good and well with Euros joking about not having floods, but they also don't have Hurricanes that raise sea-level by nine feet.

Whole of fucking southern Poland, 1997

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    We were talking about first-world countries. I mean it's all good and well with Euros joking about not having floods, but they also don't have Hurricanes that raise sea-level by nine feet.

he did say 1st world countries m8

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    They kind of have a point dudes. I guess a hurricane is marginally more scary than a flood due to the windspeeds but still

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post

he did say 1st world countries m8
    Sorry, my bad.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    That Croatian fire was pretty big news here in Norway. (Probably because of many Norwegian tourists in Croatia...)
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post

Yes, but you're mistaking your sadjevec hangover for a natural disaster, even though it is close.
    Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    They kind of have a point dudes. I guess a hurricane is marginally more scary than a flood due to the windspeeds but still
    St Martin is French/Dutch and yet somehow despite being governed by farseeing and enlightened European states it was basically leveled to the fucking ground.

If you think a cat5 hurricane is just 'marginally more scary' than a river overflowing its banks you should grab a fight to Miami right now, you'll have the beach all to yourself when the 10m waves and 180mph winds start demolishing the entire coastline.

Richard Branson just lost his entire private island btw

http://www.businessinsider.com/richa...ne-irma-2017-9

Good. The smug beardy cunt deserves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

Good. The smug beardy cunt deserves it.
    His wine cellar doubles as a storm shelter...
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar

Our dikes and waterworks are rated to resist 1 in 10,000 year storms without failing. This initiative was started after a superstorm coincided with a springtide in 1953 to raise the sea level by 15 feet above average, breaking some dikes and killing 1836 people. We said never again and made sure of that. We're currently projecting the sea-level to rise at least 3-4 feet by the end of the century, with outlying models projecting a 9 feet rise, and have started preparing for that. If at some point the climate changes enough that hurricanes do actually happen over here (seems unlikely but hey) we'll alter our water defenses to cope with that.

Honestly the way the rest of the world treats (or more accurately doesn't prepare for) water-based natural disasters is pretty inconceivable to us. The areas around Houston are rated for only 1 in 100 year to 1 in 10 year storms if what I'm reading is right, and has had storms worse than the 1 in 100 year prediction for 3 years in a row now. Not dealing with that is... criminal.

Also Harvey put out over 50 inches of rain. That's quite a lot, but not 30 feet.

Into the fray they go...

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post

Our dikes and waterworks are rated to resist 1 in 10,000 year storms without failing. This initiative was started after a superstorm coincided with a springtide in 1953 to raise the sea level by 15 feet above average, breaking some dikes and killing 1836 people. We said never again and made sure of that. We're currently projecting the sea-level to rise at least 3-4 feet by the end of the century, with outlying models projecting a 9 feet rise, and have started preparing for that. If at some point the climate changes enough that hurricanes do actually happen over here (seems unlikely but hey) we'll alter our water defenses to cope with that.

Honestly the way the rest of the world treats (or more accurately doesn't prepare for) water-based natural disasters is pretty inconceivable to us. The areas around Houston are rated for only 1 in 100 year to 1 in 10 year storms if what I'm reading is right, and has had storms worse than the 1 in 100 year prediction for 3 years in a row now. Not dealing with that is... criminal.

Also Harvey put out over 50 inches of rain. That's quite a lot, but not 30 feet.
    1) I'm aware of the Netherlands flood infrastructure, it's built for the environment your country is in and is the finest in the world for protecting against local floods. HOWEVER.

2) You don't understand what storm surge is. Why would you? Tropical Cyclones don't occur in Europe. It's not the rain that causes flooding on the coastlines and islands, although Houston WAS flooded by rain and the way it flooded is inexcuseable and shows how shitty the US government is.

Here, let me put in a little infographic that explains storm surge.

I 100% guarantee you that if the Netherlands was in the path of this storm your entire country would be underwater. This is not flooding from rain, the entire ocean is literally pushed up by the storm. That's how powerful tropical cyclones are. So yeah, it is actually a 30 foot flood approaching Miami.

And as a side note, a tropical cyclone killed 140k people in SE asia very recently with storm surge. Should have evacuated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Nargis
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; September 7 2017 at 08:26:02 PM.

Storm surges happen on a regular basis in the North sea, not to the same magnitude perhaps, but its present whenever there are strong winds.
    I remember a storm with 250kph winds in '92, it was fairly destructive. Not a hurricane per definition, but certainly strong enough winds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year%27s_Day_Storm

If this is the thing you get on a regular basis in the US, i'm not at all surprised that you have massive destruction.

Every time something like this happens it just reinforces my belief that no one should be living in Florida

Btw I don't mean to come across as shitting on anyone in that post but hurricanes are not just rain and wind

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    St Martin is French/Dutch and yet somehow despite being governed by farseeing and enlightened European states it was basically leveled to the fucking ground.

If you think a cat5 hurricane is just 'marginally more scary' than a river overflowing its banks you should grab a fight to Miami right now, you'll have the beach all to yourself when the 10m waves and 180mph winds start demolishing the entire coastline.

Had to lol. I read the article on (I think) CNN the other day where some guy basically said "harden up bitches, like us Dutch! it only cost us 50 years and a few billion to our little tiny country, why can't you all of the U.S. eh?"

I'd love to see an Irma type storm hit, at fully warmed up Cat 5. strength, say.....IJmuiden.

No, actually, I wouldn't want to see it in anything other than a simulation, because it would fubar the entire country and kill and shitload of people, first world with Dikes or not.

Chest puff all you like, the storms the Dutch see are nothing like the storms of Irma/Harvey.

"Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile......" Robert Hunter, "He's Gone"
    "...we looked very closely at the matter and concluded that unfortunately arseholes also get to benefit from democratic freedoms." Andreas Geisel, Interior Affairs Senator, Germany