hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Growing Veg

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar

Growing Veg

So i live in a cave (ground floor flat where i keep the windows covered 99% of the time.) i have no garden at all, id like to get some plants in my flat to brighten the place up and it occured to me things like potatoes dont need much light. Any one grown their own veg etc ?

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    Any one grown their own veg etc ?
    I grow rhubarb, apples, carrots, tomatoes, sweet corn, blackberries, sunflowers, and much more...so yes.

First off, why do you keep the windows closed all the time? Open them up and get some vitamin D.
    Second, how much space and sunlight do you have?
    Third, what's your horticultural skill level and how much time do you intend to devote each week to your plants?
    Fourth, potatoes require a fair amount of space, so it probably wouldn't be a good choice.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Any one grown their own veg etc ?
    I grow rhubarb, apples, carrots, tomatoes, sweet corn, blackberries, sunflowers, and much more...so yes.

First off, why do you keep the windows closed all the time? Open them up and get some vitamin D.
    Second, how much space and sunlight do you have?
    Third, what's your horticultural skill level and how much time do you intend to devote each week to your plants?
    Fourth, potatoes require a fair amount of space, so it probably wouldn't be a good choice.
    theres a path right past my windows and id rather not let every one see what i have in my flat the area and locals are less than desirable and i dont need the PoPo popping round when some one glimpses one of my rifles in bits when im working on them.

as to answer the second part no idea.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    So i live in a cave (ground floor flat where i keep the windows covered 99% of the time.) i have no garden at all, id like to get some plants in my flat to brighten the place up and it occured to me things like potatoes dont need much light. Any one grown their own veg etc ?
    You're worse than me, and me not losing because.

theres a path right past my windows and id rather not let every one see what i have in my flat the area and locals are less than desirable and i dont need the PoPo popping round when some one glimpses one of my rifles in bits when im working on them.

I don't know how you expect to grow sun-loving plants like vegetables when you have your home closed up. I'm going to assume you have zero experience with gardening. Which isn't bad; we all start somewhere. I'm also going to assume you have a windowsill to place your plants on. Otherwise you could probably just grow some mushrooms (no joke). A picture of where you intend to place your plants, as well as knowing which compass direction your window faces, would be helpful.

For absolute beginners, I would suggest growing succulents like sedum, sempervivum, cacti, and the like. Succulents can tolerate many different conditions, and are neglect-resistant. Mine thrive indoors with heavy shade, but they do get a little early morning sun. They only need to be watered every other week, more often if they are exposed to direct sun. Too much water will kill them, though, as their native habitat tends to be arid environments. They grow slowly, but can become large, so don't despair if you don't see much progress at first.

If you're looking for something edible, you can try oregano, mint, thyme, chives or lettuce/mesclun. All are pretty easy to get going, and all except lettuce are perennials that will provide for years, even decades. Oregano is hardy and vigorous (read: invasive) and will fill out whatever container you put it in. Lettuce/mesclun can be harvested 30-35 days after planting.

As for the container, using a terracotta pot with a hole in the bottom and placed in a saucer is most common. Plastic equivalents are fine. This allows room for roots to grow somewhat deep and provide support for the plant, as well as allowing excess water to drain and not rot the roots. I would suggest lining the bottom with a screen or some other membrane that will permit water to pass through, but not soil or roots. If you want to keep your window closed as much as possible, consider using a wide, shallow container like a bonsai pot. Use of a bonsai pot will inhibit growing subterranean plants like carrots, radishes, and potatoes, as well as tall plants, but should be fine for short plants. You may be able to get a sweet potato (batata) vine to grow in one, but they are fragile when transplanting.

If you are poor, an old coffee mug or cereal bowl with no drainage can be used, but you need to understand your plant so you don't rot the roots with too much watering. Don't use a metal container.

You also might want to consider a terrarium, whether closed or open. I have no experience with these, however, except that they can get quite hot in sunny areas.

For a growing medium, potting soil works fine. Black dirt is better. Garden soil may be best, but may have weeds and insects in it, depending on where you get it from. Loam is also a suitable growing medium for many plants. Sand with some organic material is sufficient for some succulents.

Finally, watering. No guide here because every plant has different needs. Some succulents can absorb all their water from the air. Some plants need daily watering. A good guide is to stick your finger half an inch into the soil. If it feels dry, water it. Rainwater is ideal. Tap water can be used, but often contains fluoride/chlorine/bromine (which plants don't like), so let it sit in an open container for a day or so before using it.
    Last edited by Nordstern; August 21 2017 at 09:33:26 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

I'm interested in this too: so it is possible to grow veg inside a flat (no box hanging off the window, actually inside)? I have fucked up my aloe plant so i'm not sure if i can do it haha

I grew mushrooms once. It was a bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I'm interested in this too: so it is possible to grow veg inside a flat (no box hanging off the window, actually inside)? I have fucked up my aloe plant so i'm not sure if i can do it haha
    It's possible. By flat, I assume you mean the domicile and not the container that holds "packs" of small plants?

If you want to grow veggies inside, you should choose a deeper container (at least 4", preferably 6"). Don't try to grow larger plants like tomatoes. Radishes, onions, spinach, shorter varieties of carrots, and lettuce should work. Herbs like chives, basil, thyme, and oregano are quite content with small containers (as small as 2" deep), which is why they're often found on windowsills above the sink.

I'll take some pictures of what I have tomorrow.
    Last edited by Nordstern; August 22 2017 at 04:51:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    It's possible. By flat, I assume you mean the domicile and not the container that holds "packs" of small plants?

If you want to grow veggies inside, you should choose a deeper container (at least 4", preferably 6"). Don't try to grow larger plants like tomatoes. Radishes, onions, spinach, shorter varieties of carrots, and lettuce should work. Herbs like chives, basil, thyme, and oregano are quite content with small containers (as small as 2" deep), which is why they're often found on windowsills above the sink.

I'll take some pictures of what I have tomorrow.
    Yes i meant the domicile. The problem is i don't really want to put anything in a pot hanging outside the window - can it be done totally inside? Would a terrarium help? I thought they looked kind of cool.

Weeed

Also we allready actually had a hydroponics thread
    http://failheap-challenge.com/showth...ht=hydroponics

No, im not.

If you want to grow veg but live in a flat best to get an allotment. You'll be very limited on what you can grow indoors.

tomatoes m8, those things grow everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    If you want to grow veg but live in a flat best to get an allotment. You'll be very limited on what you can grow indoors.
    problem is allotments are A. expensive or B. crazy waiting list.

problem is allotments are A. expensive or B. crazy waiting list.
    Yeah they are, so probably should get on the waiting list now

Get a growdrobe. Dont expect to look on your plants growing, they should be in a controlled environment to avoid mites and other pests you acquire when growing indoors. There are also posh inbuilt kitchen herb growers with glass fronts if you have bespoke wallet money to burn

https://www.hydroculture.co.uk/secre...dr90-grow-tent then add a light and an extractor fan. Grow in soil to keep completity and effort down. Will be able to grow any fucking thing in there, including chillis.

LED sexy options (read: look prettier, work shitter)
    http://www.ledgrowlightshq.co.uk/indoor-herb-gardens/

no think options
    http://www.hg-hydroponics.co.uk/g-to...nets-124-c.asp

I don't know how you expect to grow sun-loving plants like vegetables when you have your home closed up. I'm going to assume you have zero experience with gardening. Which isn't bad; we all start somewhere. I'm also going to assume you have a windowsill to place your plants on. Otherwise you could probably just grow some mushrooms (no joke). A picture of where you intend to place your plants, as well as knowing which compass direction your window faces, would be helpful.

For absolute beginners, I would suggest growing succulents like sedum, sempervivum, cacti, and the like. Succulents can tolerate many different conditions, and are neglect-resistant. Mine thrive indoors with heavy shade, but they do get a little early morning sun. They only need to be watered every other week, more often if they are exposed to direct sun. Too much water will kill them, though, as their native habitat tends to be arid environments. They grow slowly, but can become large, so don't despair if you don't see much progress at first.

If you're looking for something edible, you can try oregano, mint, thyme, chives or lettuce/mesclun. All are pretty easy to get going, and all except lettuce are perennials that will provide for years, even decades. Oregano is hardy and vigorous (read: invasive) and will fill out whatever container you put it in. Lettuce/mesclun can be harvested 30-35 days after planting.

As for the container, using a terracotta pot with a hole in the bottom and placed in a saucer is most common. Plastic equivalents are fine. This allows room for roots to grow somewhat deep and provide support for the plant, as well as allowing excess water to drain and not rot the roots. I would suggest lining the bottom with a screen or some other membrane that will permit water to pass through, but not soil or roots. If you want to keep your window closed as much as possible, consider using a wide, shallow container like a bonsai pot. Use of a bonsai pot will inhibit growing subterranean plants like carrots, radishes, and potatoes, as well as tall plants, but should be fine for short plants. You may be able to get a sweet potato (batata) vine to grow in one, but they are fragile when transplanting.

If you are poor, an old coffee mug or cereal bowl with no drainage can be used, but you need to understand your plant so you don't rot the roots with too much watering. Don't use a metal container.

You also might want to consider a terrarium, whether closed or open. I have no experience with these, however, except that they can get quite hot in sunny areas.

For a growing medium, potting soil works fine. Black dirt is better. Garden soil may be best, but may have weeds and insects in it, depending on where you get it from. Loam is also a suitable growing medium for many plants. Sand with some organic material is sufficient for some succulents.

Finally, watering. No guide here because every plant has different needs. Some succulents can absorb all their water from the air. Some plants need daily watering. A good guide is to stick your finger half an inch into the soil. If it feels dry, water it. Rainwater is ideal. Tap water can be used, but often contains fluoride/chlorine/bromine (which plants don't like), so let it sit in an open container for a day or so before using it.
    Like on that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Also we allready actually had a hydroponics thread
    http://failheap-challenge.com/showth...ht=hydroponics
    But this isn't hydroponics. And I consider hydroponics to be heresy, mostly because it's not natural.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    https://www.hydroculture.co.uk/secre...dr90-grow-tent then add a light and an extractor fan. Grow in soil to keep completity and effort down. Will be able to grow any fucking thing in there, including chillis.

LED sexy options (read: look prettier, work shitter)
    http://www.ledgrowlightshq.co.uk/indoor-herb-gardens/

no think options
    http://www.hg-hydroponics.co.uk/g-to...nets-124-c.asp
    LED growing would probably be best for sara, now that you mention it.

To answer Djan's earlier question: yes, it really can be done completely indoors.

Hang on is vegetables code for weed here?

Hang on is vegetables code for weed here?
    Maybe...