hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 113 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1363103110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 2336

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    Guys, you don't need 100 of CPU cooler for a 170 chip that doesn't even perform significantly better for OCing. I'd either invest in more cores to spread the workload while using less boost, or get a water system, or just get something more appropriately sized.
    I agree. Which is why I listed options from 65 pounds and up.

He said he was sold on the linked one at 99.95.

A page before we were happy to save 150 swapping entire CPU manufacturer.

The real question is why doesn't the H60 fit with AM4 bracket? Was it a gen1 H60?

A new gen2/2018 version seems to cost less for the 120mm rad + 2 fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

AIO's are a lot more forgiving on air flow inside the case, especially if you are blowing air out the top/back fo the case.

He said he was sold on the linked one at 99.95.

A page before we were happy to save 150 swapping entire CPU manufacturer.
    The difference is he's actually getting more instead of the same/less for the money. Yes the smaller cooler is excellent but the D15 is noticably better to be around. Not to mention Noctua have yet to fail once in supporting new sockets once the future upgrade comes in.

A 30-35 pound delta might not be a huge deal. Personally I have tinnitus, there is no amount of money I won't pay to have it quiet around me.

Noctua NH U12 is a shout then

Still has Noctua power for cooling, but is smaller and 55.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctu...BoCUrgQAvD_BwE

If you want quiet, there's also cheap other angles to consider, such as sound-proofing inside the case, and specific feet to isolate vibrations. As well as a small cabinet, or simply external cable extensions.

The real question is why doesn't the H60 fit with AM4 bracket? Was it a gen1 H60?
    The screws don't line up so it must be a gen1.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

#1N update: He starts a new school in September... and he will be issued a laptop he will be required to do work on.

So that gave me a chuckle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

So... chance to change the build to something more, or it's redundant, or cancelled??

It's moot. My primary motivation is to make sure the poor little fucker doesn't get left behind at school and grow up with no IT skills because of his mother's technophobia. But it seems like the school are on it, so that's fine. I might get to meet up with him again in summer next year and I'll see if I can't have a chat with him then to get a feel for what he's interested in doing.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    It's moot. My primary motivation is to make sure the poor little fucker doesn't get left behind at school and grow up with no IT skills because of his mother's technophobia. But it seems like the school are on it, so that's fine. I might get to meet up with him again in summer next year and I'll see if I can't have a chat with him then to get a feel for what he's interested in doing.
    give him one of those old demo disks filled with "hacker" programs that switch the screen upside down and randomly move the mouse a bit like we used to get, so he can wind up mother? Seems the best way to foster a love for technology

She'd just take it as proof that computers are useless

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Not to mention Noctua have yet to fail once in supporting new sockets once the future upgrade comes in.
    Man they even sent me a couple of AM4 brackets for free (across the EU) once I e-mailed a scan of my Ryzen invoice. And this was for a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 that I bought at the beginning of 2009. Maybe not as good as the ones they make now, but it was still so much cooler and quieter than the stock Ryzen fans that it wasn't even funny. Probably the best IT investment I've ever made? Not much other 11 year old PC tech I'm still using happily...

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Not to mention Noctua have yet to fail once in supporting new sockets once the future upgrade comes in.
    Man they even sent me a couple of AM4 brackets for free (across the EU) once I e-mailed a scan of my Ryzen invoice. And this was for a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 that I bought at the beginning of 2009. Maybe not as good as the ones they make now, but it was still so much cooler and quieter than the stock Ryzen fans that it wasn't even funny. Probably the best IT investment I've ever made? Not much other 11 year old PC tech I'm still using happily...
    Yeah, Noctua are amazing and the way they mail you the new socket stuffs is simply incredibly worth the initial acquisition price.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Yeah, Noctua are amazing and the way they mail you the new socket stuffs is simply incredibly worth the initial acquisition price.
    So the cooler I bought is total overkill, but fuck me the packaging and install is smooth AF. It's like a space station.
    But some bad news. I failed to do basic research and my noise problem wasn't my fucking CPU fan it was my fucking GPU fan.
    Stripped the fucker down and - well christ look at this shit on a GTX970. I don't fucking even :
      Spoiler:

*unscrews bits*
    jesus wept
      Spoiler:

it's ok tho - Arctic exist.
    Ram sinks. lets glue some of those fuckers on.
      Spoiler:

Ahhh. Thermodynamics.

It's gone from running at 80c+ and sounding like a train crash to 55c silent.
    WHO DESIGNED THAT SHIT. aaaaaargh

Lol, oh well. Now you have an overkill cooler and a quiet system. Also that's the first time I've seen a Accelero Mono. For roughly €40 that seems like good option to replace a sub par/broken heatsink.

That dried paste though.. looked like concrete.

The card is like 2 years old, it's a fucking shambles.
    Accellero is a lit bit of kit, plus you feel properly ninja stripping and rebuilding a GFX card. Double when it works so well afterwards.
    Last edited by Itiken; August 1 2020 at 09:42:57 PM.

Asus quality really has tanked these last few years. They're coasting on brand nostalgia pretty hard.

The fucking fan airflow doesn't even line up with the fucking heatsink. Oh well, the things you learn.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Clearly your own fault for not getting an Asus ROG edition!