hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 111 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1161101108109110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2336

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Phanteks riser cables are known to be bad-ish. But the reports of problems went down the last couple of months apparently. I looked into this at the start of the lockdown when I did an evolve shift build (mini itx thingy).

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

It's finally time to upgrade my old pc!
    Knowing next-to nothing about current Intel Hardware, can someone take a quick look at this lot and C/D it will work pls?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

The memory lists as 'AMD Tuned' but does that really matter ? (Actually scratch that there is 10 cheaper memory not AMD tuned).
    I'm bringing my Corsair AIO watercooler over, plus HDD + GFX card until next month.
    Last edited by Itiken; July 23 2020 at 07:50:59 AM.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

As such it looks OK, although you could get equivalent performance and an upgrade path for 200 (OK, 190) less going with a 3600 + B550
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Does the cpu come with a cooler and if so is it worth getting an after market one?

Here is a review of the CPU, the conclusion summarises how the Intel CPU compares to similar AMD ones:
    https://www.techspot.com/review/2031...ore-i5-10600k/

Buying a non-Ryzen in 2020? Buying any CPU now rather than when Zen3 lands in a few months time??

And do you think any ~5% less specific-game performance wouldn't be solved by putting the same money into a better GPU (you say you're buying a new one next month. Yet Big Navi is due in ~2months...)?
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; July 23 2020 at 08:12:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Fun fact: your i5 would not have been able to run the RAM at the advertised speed. Somehow Intel thinks running RAM at 2666MHz is a good idea. i7 and i9 get to use 2933MHz RAM. Anything more is considered overclocking by Intel and requires a Z series motherboard. Which you had picked at a hefty premium.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

The be quiet! 600W 80 Plus Gold is the same price, as is the 500W 80 Plus Gold Modular one (and in stock, if you insist on using Overclockers). A higher efficiency PSU is good for the PSU, the system and for your long term bills. Modular is nice.

P.S.

It looks to me like the MSI B550-A PRO saves you 35 if you drop the 2.5Gbps ethernet port and RGB, all the other support stats seem the same (technically 2 more USB sockets on the PRO too?) vs the MAG Tomahawk.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; July 23 2020 at 09:02:53 AM.

Apparently the new NVidia cards will have a peak boost power draw of 600W, and pull 300W "in normal operation", according to rumour.

BTW there's no need to buy thermal paste unless you're buying an aftermarket heatsink/fan. But you should probably buy an aftermarket heatsink/fan

(1) The stock cooler on the 3600 is just about OK to run it for normal operations. But your CPU will run hot, and it'll be loud, and you'll probably lose ~100 Mhz boost clock.
    (2) You'll get a good aftermarket fan if you upgrade the CPU later anyway. Why not buy it now and get the benefit of runnnig cooler & quieter for the whole time?
    (3) You can keep the stock HSF in your parts box as a backup if your fancy one dies.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

He already said he's carrying over an AIO watercooler. So paste made sense to me. (Assuming AM4 compatible).

Next gen consoles are all going to be Radeon Big Navi (RDNA2) derived iirc, so I'd be far more interested in their feature set than nvidia RTX/DLSS & G-sync-module-requiring proprietary features of the power beasts you mention.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; July 23 2020 at 10:23:18 AM.

(1) The stock cooler on the 3600 is just about OK to run it for normal operations. But your CPU will run hot, and it'll be loud, and you'll probably lose ~100 Mhz boost clock.
    (2) You'll get a good aftermarket fan if you upgrade the CPU later anyway. Why not buy it now and get the benefit of runnnig cooler & quieter for the whole time?
    (3) You can keep the stock HSF in your parts box as a backup if your fancy one dies.
    I have a Corsair H90. Hmm, going to need a bracket to mount it though i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    He already said he's carrying over an AIO watercooler. So paste made sense to me. (Assuming AM4 compatible).

Next gen consoles are all going to be Radeon Big Navi (RDNA2) derived iirc, so I'd be far more interested in their feature set than nvidia RTX/DLSS & G-sync-module-requiring proprietary features of the power beasts you mention.
    Ah I somehow blanked that. Well that should be a pretty nice setup

Do they just have a Scrooge McDuck style vault filled with these things and they're trying to empty it out? I think this is the cheapest it's ever been.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post

Do they just have a Scrooge McDuck style vault filled with these things and they're trying to empty it out? I think this is the cheapest it's ever been.
    Will be even cheaper when Zen 3 hits the market.

Zen 3's will be cheaper once Zen 4 is launched!
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

AMD are trying to reset the Zen2price point with the XT chips. That means they want the non-XT chips to be cleared out of the pipeline so when Zen3 comes in at 15% more than Zen2 XTs it's good value.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    AMD are trying to reset the Zen2price point with the XT chips. That means they want the non-XT chips to be cleared out of the pipeline so when Zen3 comes in at 15% more than Zen2 XTs it's good value.
    I hope it's only 15%, that's what you're gonna get in IPC optimizations alone.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Part of me wants to upgrade from a 3600 to a 3800XT. Part of me wants to see what Zen3 has to offer first.

But the sensible part of me says "Why? You run everything at max settings already."
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Well a 3800 doesn't seem like a sensible upgrade at all. But a 4800 might be in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Part of me wants to upgrade from a 3600 to a 3800XT. Part of me wants to see what Zen3 has to offer first.

But the sensible part of me says "Why? You run everything at max settings already."
    Definitely wait for Zen3 instead of getting 3800xt.