hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 121 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2171111118119120121122123124 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2579

Thread: Zekk Pacus' AMD Ryze(n) hardware thread, July 2017

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaftoes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Hardware nerds. Is the 5900 worth it value wise? It seems a bit expensive.

I was aiming to pick up a 3900x on black friday / prime day sales.

I'm also slightly concerned about the fact the bios update does not come out until January. So I could drop a ton of cash on a chip and have it be an expensive paperweight until the update drops
    If you're planning on running it on a 400-series board, do not buy a Zen 3 until you have the beta bios acct in your downloads folder.

500 boards are fine
    I was planning on getting an X570, so I guess thats fine.

I guess I'll wait and see what the discounts are like in the upcoming sales. I might just get a 3700x and then upgrade next year if the price is right.

edit: Might aswell post this here for critique:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7dk2q3

No card yet as Nvidias 3000 series release has been a total shambles. It's likely going to be a 3070 or 3080 though
    only 16gb ram?

It seems WD Blue are DRAM-less, and those aren't NVMe but just SATA, I'd change both things for a >£1k build.

I don't get how a mobo is ever worth £200, and are you ever going to use the 2nd PCIe x16 slot either? microATX/miniITX SFF ftw with that budget.

FWIW I expect you can also shave £10 off of each of the cooler and PSU, and £30+ off of the RAM, without giving up anything of note, but that doesn't seem high priority. I'd shop around as there are some nicer looking & performing cases in the £80-100 range if you do stick with mini/mid tower size.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; October 9 2020 at 01:00:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    It seems WD Blue are DRAM-less, and those aren't NVMe but just SATA, I'd change both things for a >£1k build.

I don't get how a mobo is ever worth £200, and are you ever going to use the 2nd PCIe x16 slot either? microATX/miniITX SFF ftw with that budget.

FWIW I expect you can also shave £10 off of each of the cooler and PSU, and £30+ off of the RAM, without giving up anything of note, but that doesn't seem high priority. I'd shop around as there are some nicer looking & performing cases in the £80-100 range if you do stick with mini/mid tower size.
    I want the x570 chipset and the TUF is apparently a good value option for that.

My plan was to use the stock cooler with the 3900x and buy the nocturna a bit later. It's a truly giant cooler and frankly might be a bit overkill.

PSU is a fair point. Modular is nice to have but not strictly necessary.

According to reviews I have read the RAM I have picked plays particularly nice with high end AMD chips. I don't really care about the RGB, but I could also easily downgrade to save some cash. I do want 3600mhz though.

For the HDDs I really want Samsung evos, but can only afford one. Still, a 1tb drive might be a enough for now and perhaps I can buy another in the new year.

I'm happy with the case. I have shopped around a bit and the fractal seems to a be general consensus good value pick for higher end PCs. I could shave a bit of money off if I went with the non glass version

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

I'm also slightly concerned about the fact the bios update does not come out until January. So I could drop a ton of cash on a chip and have it be an expensive paperweight until the update drops
    If you're planning on running it on a 400-series board, do not buy a Zen 3 until you have the beta bios acct in your downloads folder.

500 boards are fine

I guess I'll wait and see what the discounts are like in the upcoming sales. I might just get a 3700x and then upgrade next year if the price is right.

No card yet as Nvidias 3000 series release has been a total shambles. It's likely going to be a 3070 or 3080 though
    only 16gb ram?
    Plan is to buy 16gb initially and upgrade to 32 in the new year.

500 boards are fine

Are those not SATA drives? Why waste your precious M.2 sockets on non nvme ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

If you're gonna get a fancy motherboard and a 30xx series card then do get an nvme yes.

Microsoft and Nvidia have been working on tech to make loading assets much after like the new consoles and its tied to that interface iirc.
    It's also a bit silly to spend so much everywhere else and then skimp on storage.

If you do need a massive amount of additional storage for less critical stuff the wd blues are excellent though, can confirm. But don't make them your only drive in such a build.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Still haven't managed to break the 5ghz threshold
    No need to when they can pull off that size IPC boost and still remain with a 105W TDP. What is the TDP for the Intel 5GHZ, 300W?
    Still doesn't been Intel in single core performance, which is the final bastion to win.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16148...t-gaming-cpu/2

Suppose we'll wait for independent reviews.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Really tempted to switch sides to Team Red if these numbers hold up. Only problem is that.. I don't really *need* an upgrade.. damnit!

As your physician let me remind you that CPU performance anxiety is a major source of depression, and that the only known treatment is the acquisition of shiny new objects in a roughly annual interval. Buying this CPU may well be a medical necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    As your physician let me remind you that CPU performance anxiety is a major source of depression, and that the only known treatment is the acquisition of shiny new objects in a roughly annual interval. Buying this CPU may well be a medical necessity.
    It is known Khaleesi! Buy it you must. Ok, so let's get that 5950X then. It is also the Mental Health Awareness day tomorrow, so that fits. How about GPU performance? Will that help mania? RAM tackles voice hearing? A faster disc will deal with.. corona? All this is making me a bit hot, so maybe I need a new cooler as well!

Chicks love RAM, everyone knows that.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Shit's looking good.

With the massive caveat of it being for game loading (especially those not designed around NVMe and DirectStorage loading straight into the VRAM, i.e. the new console architecture), here's the current landscape of HDD vs SSD vs PCIe, including PCIe4 vs 3, QLC vs TLC, DRAM vs DRAMless, etc.
    Also note game loading does not mean game install transfer between an archive drive and bringing it onto your new faster SSD for subsequent loading from.

TL;DR: Any SSD is worth having over none. For your OS & apps, probably worth having PCIe/NVMe. PCIe4 will get cheaper before it's significantly better than 3.
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; October 10 2020 at 07:26:11 PM.

Basically NVME, whether PCIE3 or 4, is so absurdly faster and more capable than platter HDDs that desktop software simply doesn't make use of its capabilities. It's like if your gran asked for a new shopping trolley because her old one got a bit tatty, and so you bought her 64 Bugatti Veyrons and had the road to the shop widened to 64 lanes each way while you were about it.

Basically NVME, whether PCIE3 or 4, is so absurdly faster and more capable than platter HDDs that desktop software simply doesn't make use of its capabilities. It's like if your gran asked for a new shopping trolley because her old one got a bit tatty, and so you bought her 64 Bugatti Veyrons and had the road to the shop widened to 64 lanes each way while you were about it.
    This is where DirectStorage could make some serious headway, esp. coupled the new RTX cards etc. so I'm quite excited.

What?

SATA SSDs are not bad either

Spoiler:
    It's just a setting in Samsung Magician that's called Rapid Storage which when activated does some sorts of pre-caching because it reads and writes at RAM speeds. This actually drops to regular SATA III speeds when that buffer runs out, but the things are noticeably faster with the setting on
    Last edited by Cosmin; October 12 2020 at 01:33:23 PM.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Speaking of SSDs as we were, if anyone's after a SATA SSD, the Crucial MX500 seems to be on sale at Amazon. £156 for the 2TB model at this time, a good £65 less than I paid 6 months ago.

I picked up a samsung evo plus 1TB and a WD blue 500 for £190, which I am pleased with.

Also got a cheap RX 570 for my nephew for his birthday for £120.

Other than that, the prime day sales have kinda sucked. No discounts on RAM, cases, graphics cards or CPUs.

No discounts on RAM
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083TRRT16/
    £45 for 2x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 Black Crucial Ballistix