hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Automation Spiral (obligatory loleconomics thread v2)

Posting in an attempt of a thread that will Shirley take off in a blaze of glory

Posted von mein Tapashitcunt

well, there is also this.

artfully solving one of the big problems facing self-driving cars, the asinine cost of mass producing LIDAR systems, with bonus robotics usage potential out of the waaazoo.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    First for Marx was right.

edit: obligatory 'thou shall not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind'

Frank Herbert didnt realize he was writing a prediction of the future
    the problems aren't smarter tools, you're jumping into the luddite fallacy, the problem is how the surplus of those tools is distributed.

Brian Herbert's books in the dune universe, while different from his fathers, actually explore the butlerian jihad and it's reasons in depth, suffice to say, thinking machines are not the source of the problem.
    Wasn't it something like, super lazy culture of wealthy humans with robot servants gets overthrown by a small group of people who hacked the robots, who then got overthrown by the AI (omnius) they relied on to run everything?

edit: obligatory 'thou shall not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind'

the problems aren't smarter tools, you're jumping into the luddite fallacy, the problem is how the surplus of those tools is distributed.

Brian Herbert's books in the dune universe, while different from his fathers, actually explore the butlerian jihad and it's reasons in depth, suffice to say, thinking machines are not the source of the problem.
    Wasn't it something like, super lazy culture of wealthy humans with robot servants gets overthrown by a small group of people who hacked the robots, who then got overthrown by the AI (omnius) they relied on to run everything?
    The clear lesson from all of this is never give your self programming AI a sinister-ass name.
    meh

basically yes, though we only have the titans, ie the wankers who did the first overthrow, to back that claim up and it's not like they are in any way shape or form reliable narrators.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

basically yes, though we only have the titans, ie the wankers who did the first overthrow, to back that claim up and it's not like they are in any way shape or form reliable narrators.
    Viking, n.:

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    I suggest you all learn to service drones or Nest thermostats or something.
    or join me * in the exciting (that is to say, secure from the perils of automation) field of Psychology, where we bug-hunt software for meat sacks.

* assuming I even complete my degree
    Servicing humans is good. We are getting pretty good at implementing psych models and selecting humans with them now as well.
    No not really. Just because you write it down, DSM V, doesnt make it real.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    or join me * in the exciting (that is to say, secure from the perils of automation) field of Psychology, where we bug-hunt software for meat sacks.

Servicing humans is good. We are getting pretty good at implementing psych models and selecting humans with them now as well.
    Who cares about disorders, I'm talking about the shopping and voting habits, which are worth money.
    meh

There will be a very strong reaction to all of this. There's already an undercurrent of anger boiling close to the surface by all the people who have lost or are losing their "way of life". Maybe the reaction will come before the computers make humans irrelevant.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    There will be a very strong reaction to all of this. There's already an undercurrent of anger boiling close to the surface by all the people who have lost or are losing their "way of life". Maybe the reaction will come before the computers make humans irrelevant.
    Maybe, but most of those people don't understand what Moore's law is, or how it applies to them. If they did, they wouldn't be angry. They'd be scared.
    meh

Maybe, but most of those people don't understand what Moore's law is, or how it applies to them. If they did, they wouldn't be angry. They'd be scared.
    quantum physics breaks moore's law though, we're a handful of years away from the last die-shrink, of course that doesn't mean chips wont keep getting cheaper and faster, only that the lazy way out is exhausted.
    Viking, n.:

Boet, coming from you that is a bit of a dumb statement; people are scared. All over, people are scared of losing their livelihoods to machines and big companies. This is why populism is in season again. Of course, populists won't change anything and then things will start getting worse.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Smuggo
    U need communism comrades.

The other side of the coin.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ta-comment#_=_
    Facebook claimed the report was misleading, assuring the public that the company does not “offer tools to target people based on their emotional state”. If the intention of Facebook’s public relations spin is to give the impression that such targeting is not even possible on their platform, I’m here to tell you I believe they’re lying through their teeth.

Just as Mark Zuckerberg was being disingenuous (to put it mildly) when, in the wake of Donald Trump’s unexpected victory, he expressed doubt that Facebook could have flipped the presidential election.

Facebook deploys a political advertising sales team, specialized by political party, and charged with convincing deep-pocketed politicians that they do have the kind of influence needed to alter the outcome of elections.

I was at Facebook in 2012, during the previous presidential race. The fact that Facebook could easily throw the election by selectively showing a Get Out the Vote reminder in certain counties of a swing state, for example, was a running joke.

Converting Facebook data into money is harder than it sounds, mostly because the vast bulk of your user data is worthless. Turns out your blotto-drunk party pics and flirty co-worker messages have no commercial value whatsoever.

But occasionally, if used very cleverly, with lots of machine-learning iteration and systematic trial-and-error, the canny marketer can find just the right admixture of age, geography, time of day, and music or film tastes that demarcate a demographic winner of an audience. The “clickthrough rate”, to use the advertiser’s parlance, doesn’t lie.

Without seeing the leaked documents, which were reportedly based around a pitch Facebook made to a bank, it is impossible to know precisely what the platform was offering advertisers. There’s nothing in the trade I know of that targets ads at emotions. But Facebook has and does offer “psychometric”-type targeting, where the goal is to define a subset of the marketing audience that an advertiser thinks is particularly susceptible to their message.

smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post

You realise that fully automated gay space communism will only be a thing once the elites (not you or I) have purged all the cattle.

smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    The other side of the coin.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ta-comment#_=_
    Facebook claimed the report was misleading, assuring the public that the company does not “offer tools to target people based on their emotional state”. If the intention of Facebook’s public relations spin is to give the impression that such targeting is not even possible on their platform, I’m here to tell you I believe they’re lying through their teeth.

Just as Mark Zuckerberg was being disingenuous (to put it mildly) when, in the wake of Donald Trump’s unexpected victory, he expressed doubt that Facebook could have flipped the presidential election.

Facebook deploys a political advertising sales team, specialized by political party, and charged with convincing deep-pocketed politicians that they do have the kind of influence needed to alter the outcome of elections.

I was at Facebook in 2012, during the previous presidential race. The fact that Facebook could easily throw the election by selectively showing a Get Out the Vote reminder in certain counties of a swing state, for example, was a running joke.

Converting Facebook data into money is harder than it sounds, mostly because the vast bulk of your user data is worthless. Turns out your blotto-drunk party pics and flirty co-worker messages have no commercial value whatsoever.

But occasionally, if used very cleverly, with lots of machine-learning iteration and systematic trial-and-error, the canny marketer can find just the right admixture of age, geography, time of day, and music or film tastes that demarcate a demographic winner of an audience. The “clickthrough rate”, to use the advertiser’s parlance, doesn’t lie.

Without seeing the leaked documents, which were reportedly based around a pitch Facebook made to a bank, it is impossible to know precisely what the platform was offering advertisers. There’s nothing in the trade I know of that targets ads at emotions. But Facebook has and does offer “psychometric”-type targeting, where the goal is to define a subset of the marketing audience that an advertiser thinks is particularly susceptible to their message.
    Excuses for Hilary #239

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post

You realise that fully automated gay space communism will only be a thing once the elites (not you or I) have purged all the cattle.
    Negative Comrade. Watch comrade Corbyn show these Children how to build communism for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post

We could start a whole new religion based on such a schism, those who do & don't blindly apply the DSM (plus the heretics still using IV)

Boet, coming from you that is a bit of a dumb statement; people are scared. All over, people are scared of losing their livelihoods to machines and big companies. This is why populism is in season again. Of course, populists won't change anything and then things will start getting worse.
    Yeah. It was kind of a terminator joke that didn't come off well.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post

Negative Comrade. Watch comrade Corbyn show these Children how to build communism for all.

I mean, he is an older english bloke. We're lucky he's not buggering one of them in the picture.
    meh