hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 96 of 131 FirstFirst ... 468693949596979899106 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2610

Thread: The Automation Spiral (obligatory loleconomics thread v2)

  1. #1901
    Lief Siddhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    8,134
    mark blyth is just national treasure tbh
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

  2. #1902
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,242
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  3. #1903
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    3,861
    /r/wsb was put into private for x time yesterday. This after things apparently were going complete haywire due to their actions and an "unknown" twitter account. And then someone apparently said "hmm...isnt this basically live streaming blatant market manipulation?". This was not received well.
    It did opened up later after some clean-up if I understood it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  4. #1904
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    15,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    This was unexpectedly amazing on so many interesting topcs/ Proper nuanced shit


    (4 years ago)

    we're just waiting for the consequence he points out at the end arrives at this point.he does a okay 30 minute bi weekly podcast here.
    Last edited by Liare; January 22 2021 at 02:41:30 PM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  5. #1905
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,768
    Mark Blyth is a bit of a lib but he has a proper structural understanding of capitalism. His book on Austerity is excellent.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  6. #1906
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    15,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Mark Blyth is a bit of a lib but he has a proper structural understanding of capitalism. His book on Austerity is excellent.
    i like Blyth, and do listen to his podcast and so forth on occasion, but the liberalism is painful sometimes. he very sharply identify structural issues, but every time he ventures near discussing how to solve that it comes out as tepid social liberalism with nary a acknowledgement that we've gone there and it led us here. he's essentially arguing to turn the clock back to cold war era social democracy, but he doesn't expend a ounce of effort on how to "lock in" these conditions and prevent the sort of regression towards rentier capitalism Ronnie Raygun and the Milk Snatcher brought us.

    nor does he actually examine why this the optimum he wants to aim for.

    edit : essentially, he fails to leave the central conflict of interest addressed because he's not applying marxist class analysis despite getting so very close.

    he doesn't address how this conflict can be managed or outright abolished to prevent it from becoming so openly harmful, that is my largest bone of contention here. he sees the framework, but does not address it.
    Last edited by Liare; January 22 2021 at 03:53:35 PM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  7. #1907

    Join Date
    March 10, 2019
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post


    All hail the conquering hero.

  8. #1908

    Join Date
    March 10, 2019
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    You did it, you beautiful bastard. Absolute bedlam. Did you sell?

  9. #1909
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    18,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Mark Blyth is a bit of a lib but he has a proper structural understanding of capitalism. His book on Austerity is excellent.
    i like Blyth, and do listen to his podcast and so forth on occasion, but the liberalism is painful sometimes. he very sharply identify structural issues, but every time he ventures near discussing how to solve that it comes out as tepid social liberalism with nary a acknowledgement that we've gone there and it led us here. he's essentially arguing to turn the clock back to cold war era social democracy, but he doesn't expend a ounce of effort on how to "lock in" these conditions and prevent the sort of regression towards rentier capitalism Ronnie Raygun and the Milk Snatcher brought us.

    nor does he actually examine why this the optimum he wants to aim for.

    edit : essentially, he fails to leave the central conflict of interest addressed because he's not applying marxist class analysis despite getting so very close.

    he doesn't address how this conflict can be managed or outright abolished to prevent it from becoming so openly harmful, that is my largest bone of contention here. he sees the framework, but does not address it.
    IT's almost like he isnt a raving Marxist and thinks capitalism has actually brought at least as much good as the harm it comes with?

  10. #1910
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,768
    Most marxists will largely agree capitalism is successful at accumulating capital and building productive capacity. At some point it has served its purpose and we can move on.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  11. #1911
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    15,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Mark Blyth is a bit of a lib but he has a proper structural understanding of capitalism. His book on Austerity is excellent.
    i like Blyth, and do listen to his podcast and so forth on occasion, but the liberalism is painful sometimes. he very sharply identify structural issues, but every time he ventures near discussing how to solve that it comes out as tepid social liberalism with nary a acknowledgement that we've gone there and it led us here. he's essentially arguing to turn the clock back to cold war era social democracy, but he doesn't expend a ounce of effort on how to "lock in" these conditions and prevent the sort of regression towards rentier capitalism Ronnie Raygun and the Milk Snatcher brought us.

    nor does he actually examine why this the optimum he wants to aim for.

    edit : essentially, he fails to leave the central conflict of interest addressed because he's not applying marxist class analysis despite getting so very close.

    he doesn't address how this conflict can be managed or outright abolished to prevent it from becoming so openly harmful, that is my largest bone of contention here. he sees the framework, but does not address it.
    IT's almost like he isnt a raving Marxist and thinks capitalism has actually brought at least as much good as the harm it comes with?
    the same argument could easily be made in favour of feudalism, that doesn't change the fact it was a inherently oppressive and incredibly terrible way to run a society and that anybody defending it should be considered a raving fucking lunatic.

    the argument Marx himself put forth was that it was a necessary evil, in order to build up the production capacity that frees people from toiling their entire lives and that the inherent contractions would eventually boil over into outright revolts.

    and it has, numerous times.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  12. #1912
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,242
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    You did it, you beautiful bastard. Absolute bedlam. Did you sell?
    I have a history of paper hands when it comes to stock trades, but you know what? I'm not selling. I'm not selling.

    I'M NOT FUCKING SELLING!

    THE SHOW GOES ON! THEY'RE GONNA NEED THE NATIONAL GUARD TO PRY THOSE SHARES FROM MY HANDS BEFORE WE REACH THE MOON!

    420.69 OR BUST



    Seriously, I made like 8k today and it's just getting started.
    Last edited by Nordstern; January 23 2021 at 01:19:34 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  13. #1913

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    14,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    IT's almost like he isnt a raving Marxist and thinks capitalism has actually brought at least as much good as the harm it comes with?
    Quick, capitalism defense force assemble!

    You'd think your glorious marketplace of ideas could figure out improvements to capitalism are needed by now that it's been around for so long that the cracks are nice and wide.

    Heh. No, it's perfect and it can't be improved upon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Man with no worries and plenty of capital keeps boasting online about how he somehow makes more money from it, people marvel
    Sometimes he also posts lists of all those poor businesses he loves getting harassed by those uppity colored people.

  14. #1914

    Join Date
    March 10, 2019
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    IT's almost like he isnt a raving Marxist and thinks capitalism has actually brought at least as much good as the harm it comes with?
    Quick, capitalism defense force assemble!

    You'd think your glorious marketplace of ideas could figure out improvements to capitalism are needed by now that it's been around for so long that the cracks are nice and wide.

    Heh. No, it's perfect and it can't be improved upon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Man with no worries and plenty of capital keeps boasting online about how he somehow makes more money from it, people marvel
    Sometimes he also posts lists of all those poor businesses he loves getting harassed by those uppity colored people.
    Ah, you paper handed GME, huh? You'll get 'em next time kiddo.
    Last edited by August; January 23 2021 at 01:57:43 AM.

  15. #1915
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    3,861
    I dont have any money in it, I dont get close to half on what is going on but it sure is entertaining in /wallstreetbets right now holy shit!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  16. #1916
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,242
    Fuck you, circuit breakers! Was going to set a trailing stop at $160, but you ruined it.

    You're ruining my immersion.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  17. #1917
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    3,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    This guy is u/DeepFuckingValue on WSB. He went all in on GME calls back in late 2019.

    His portfolio was $3.1m at Monday close. Yesterday, it was $5.8m.
    $13.3m now (and if I read it correctly, that is at current closing at ~$65-75 meaning at one point during today it was way more than double that! And he still holding.)

    Madness. Absolute madness!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  18. #1918
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    18,128
    Blackberry is spiking now too. Next GME

  19. #1919

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    14,021

  20. #1920
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    32,737
    Very bubbly, mmm, yes.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •