hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Eternal Card Game - Solid new CCCG with some M:TG sensibilities

Eternal Card Game - Solid new CCCG with some M:TG sensibilities

Heard about this on a Cooptional podcast and gave it a try as it was advertised as "basically MTG online but slick" and boy is that spot on.

Enjoying it a lot atm, as are some of my real life MTG playing friends who lately can't really get together and do it anymore.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/531640/

https://www.eternalcardgame.com/

Don't know any of the youtube people who did videos on this, but this seems to be an exhaustive look at the basics of it and the guy doesn't have an annoying voice. Warning tho, havent watched more than a few minutes.

A bit more in depth about the game though, and its business model:

Feels and plays a bit like Hearthstone, slick presentation and all, but has goodies like instant spells and a lack of negative insane RNG that has been plaguing that game. You can react to players on their own turns, react to their reactions, do silly shit like that and the game never really bogs down into waiting ages for people to make a move due to sane timers on stuff. You can choose blockers, distribute damage, etc. Mana works differently to mtg, you get a power amount you can use per turn and then the types serve as a limit for which colour cards you can play, but if you have 3 power and 1 yellow 2 red seals you can still play 3 1 cost yellow cards for example.

It's more generous with cards and in game currency. Every box you get playing (for every mode you get some, plus quests) you get currency and a card, with the potential to be upgraded to a higher box. You even have free 'gauntlet' modes with AI where you can get shit like boosters/currency without spending money. Draft mode is proper 'open boosters' type and it gets thrown to random players also doing draft etc. You also get boxes every few ranked games, so stuff keeps coming in fine. Has stuff like dust to craft cards from the start.

I think it's also available on phones and tablets, but only tried it on Steam so can't rally comment.
    Last edited by Isyel; April 6 2017 at 02:36:05 AM.

Smuggo
    Mtgo is good tbh and even the client is not total aids these days. Lots of people have tried to claim its title as king of TCGs but all fail because the lack the deep and complex mechanics and massive player base that 25 years of history gives MtG.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Mtgo is good tbh and even the client is not total aids these days. Lots of people have tried to claim its title as king of TCGs but all fail because the lack the deep and complex mechanics and massive player base that 25 years of history gives MtG.
    Eh it not being total aids doesn't make it anywhere close to good. It's just minor aids. :P Either way MTG here is used to give an idea of the mechanics, it's not about MTGO. I got fucking tired of the puddle depth and rng nonsense of hearthstone and was wondering about other options, and this one has been the most fun for me.

Smuggo
    I mean it's ultimately about the quality of the game not the client.

Great your enjoying but you might as well play MtG

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    I mean it's ultimately about the quality of the game not the client.

Great your enjoying but you might as well play MtG
    You're just being silly now. The whole point is the game is good, it's fun and the business model is good too. Not everything is the same as MTG, there are some notable differences like the way mana works and how it tries to prevent issues with it, plus weapons on character etc..

It also doesn't have a lot of the baggage MTG acquired in its super long history.

On top of that the client is good.

Hearthstone turned to utter shit, I'm trying to show that there are good alternatives.

And I can't play MTG as i said. So... can we talk about the actual game and not MTGO? I wouldn't have posted this if it were actual MTG.
    Last edited by Isyel; April 5 2017 at 05:37:33 PM.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    less inflammatory title would help stave off the nerds i guess
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    less inflammatory title would help stave off the nerds i guess
    Myeah, might have a point. It's also fairly reductive to just call it M:TG, changing it.

Looks shit, just play MTG.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    What the fucking fuck in the fuck fuck is going fucking on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Keeves View Post
    Hex Shards of fate is better

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeves View Post
    Hex Shards of fate is better
    In what way?