hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Ultrawide Wonderthread

VA panels are not the best option for response rate enthusiasts, but they're good for black level goths.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Aw VA panels aren't really that bad to pass those specs at 300 britbux tbh.
    This.

VA is just fine for most stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    VA panels are not the best option for response rate enthusiasts, but they're good for black level goths.
    At 2ms response I wouldn't worry about response time. I would worry about input lag, something that is mostly unrelated to the panel, but more to the monitor as a whole.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    At 2ms response I wouldn't worry about response time. I would worry about input lag, something that is mostly unrelated to the panel, but more to the monitor as a whole.
    He was talking in general and he's quite spot on. :P

After some research I found out that is this same monitor that massdrop sells in the US:

I'd say for 300 british dollars it's not that bad.

Just make sure to get it calibrated. If you have photographer friends, should be quite easy
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Just bought an Acer Predator XB271HUA. 1440p, 1ms TN panel (IPS was another 100-odd with lower response time). At 120hz, gsync on, it is GLORIOUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Just bought an Acer Predator XB271HUA. 1440p, 1ms TN panel (IPS was another 100-odd with lower response time). At 120hz, gsync on, it is GLORIOUS.
    > XB271HUA
    > Ultrawide thread

Nice score, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    > TN panel
    > GLORIOUS

Nope. Once you tried the good stuff there's no turning back.

Cheap ultrawide or high refresh rate curved

34" iiyama XUB3493WQSU-B1 3440x1440 48-75hz 4ms IPS
    Or
    31.5" Acer ED323QURA 2560x1440 144HZ 4ms VA

It will be sat between a 24" 1080p monitor and a 31.5" 1440p monitor, is 34" big enough for an ultrawide that wont make it much taller than a 27" or much wider than a 32" but both camps ultra wide and high refresh say you will never go back. No I can't push out to a better high refresh ultra wide my current build is already more than my monthly salary.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

I'd go for the 31.5" one if you want to fit it with the screens that you already have. I am not sure you need a curved screen unless you get an ultrawide one (in case that you have a non-curved alternative). Your remark concerning lack of money sounds a bit hollow from someone who still has both his kidneys though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post

Or

It will be sat between a 24" 1080p monitor and a 31.5" 1440p monitor, is 34" big enough for an ultrawide that wont make it much taller than a 27" or much wider than a 32" but both camps ultra wide and high refresh say you will never go back. No I can't push out to a better high refresh ultra wide my current build is already more than my monthly salary.
    I've got a 34" ultra wide and its fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post

Or

I've got a 34" ultra wide and its fantastic.
    Note that a 34” UW will be shorter on the vertical axis than either a 27” or 32” 16:9 monitor. I have a 34” at home and a 38” at work, and the 38” has just a smidge less vertical space than the 27” it replaced. So a 34” UW will not match well with your other two monitors.

And yeah once you switch you won’t want to go back to a normal aspect ratio or refresh rate.

Looks like this MSI is within your budget? https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Non-Glare...11&s=pc&sr=1-4

So yeah. Between work splashing some on us for home office stuff, and year end bonus, the Samsung Odessy G9 arrived today. And holy fuck. While it is less huge than I thought it would be, IT IS STILL FUCKING HUGE! The curvature is simply fantastic. Takes a little time to get used to, but working on this is going to be awesome. Gaming will probably suck a little until I get a GPU-upgrade (1080 Ti now) - it's struggling to break 100 FPS with medium-ish settings.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    So yeah. Between work splashing some on us for home office stuff, and year end bonus, the Samsung Odessy G9 arrived today. And holy fuck. While it is less huge than I thought it would be, IT IS STILL FUCKING HUGE! The curvature is simply fantastic. Takes a little time to get used to, but working on this is going to be awesome. Gaming will probably suck a little until I get a GPU-upgrade (1080 Ti now) - it's struggling to break 100 FPS with medium-ish settings.
    Jelly. I have considered selling my current monitor and getting one of these, I just wish they weren't in the ugly white.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

Jelly. I have considered selling my current monitor and getting one of these
    Well, to take some of the jelly away - gaming on this isn't always very well supported or optimal. Some games, for example Death Stranding, require a fair amount of tinkering before it'll accept 5120x1440. It's also a beast in terms of driving FPS. Depending on your preferences and thresholds of course, but in graphics intense games, my guess is that you'll need at least a 2080 Super or 2080 Ti to run later games with close to 100 FPS and decent settings, and then you are going to be a far cry from Ultra settings. Basically, the requirements are close to 4K, and it's a 240 hz monitor.

Another issue is the perspective. It's not always... ideal. I play a lot of PUBG, and in early game when action is close up and focus is on looting, I find the 32:9 perspective to be awkward. Maybe I need to tinker with FOV, but out of the box it's unpleasant and ineffective. Later game, the FOV and overview is fantastic. Competitive FPS is not where this monitor excells. For racing sims, flight sims - it's fantastic, but I'm getting 17 FPS in FS2020 with medium+ settings..

For non-gaming stuff, it fucking shines. For work, I have it setup with multiple zones using PowerToys, and multiple desktops using Windows native virtual desktops. My e-mail and tasks desktop is split in three, left screen is to-do list, mid is Outlook and right is calendar. All with ample space. It's fantastic. Same for coding, I can have documentation on the left, coding window center and output render on the right. Working with multiple documents etc. is also very nice.

I just wish they weren't in the ugly white.
    I don't know about your setup, but the only times I notice that it's actually white, is when I am behind the monitor and fiddle with cables. The front and the stand are both black. I have mine placed in the corner of my room though, so I don't see the back of it from the sides (which, given the curvature I guess you can with a normal bang on the wall setup).

Edit:

Overall verdict

For a pure gaming setup, it's fantastic if you play mostly sims and stuff that benefit from a wide FOV or a large, narrow-ish resolution. For competitive FPS, it's not ideal. For single player FPS I guess it's kinda immersive. If your setup cannot handle 4K high end 60 FPS, I wouldn't really recommend it unless an upgrade is in the near future.

For a WFH setup, it's beyond fantastic. Just so much real estate.

For photography etc, it's also quite good, though I don't dabble enough with that on a level where I worry much about correct colors etc.
    Last edited by morpheps; November 25 2020 at 01:39:13 PM.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to morpheps again.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

You forgot to mention the picture quality on this beast.
    If your system can handle HDR, it is hard to describe with words how stunning everything looks.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

I mean my 21:9 34” ultrawide already has distortion and whatnot in the peripheral; I don’t consider it too much of a problem. Maybe even a boon, I sometimes use the edge-zoom effect to get a closer look at things. Have a 2080, not super worried about horsepower.

But I do not think I’ll be upgrading; I’ve only had my current monitor for 18 months and even though it was free (thanks, Amazon!), upgrading at this juncture seems like a waste. I also think I’m more keen on the 38” form factor used by Dell and LG, at 1600 vertical pixels, over an even wider 1440 res monitor.

Really I want someone to make a 52” 21:9 monitor. As wide as the G9 and other 49” displays, but at 1600px vertical res. I’d just get a second Dell 38 for home use, but lol 60hz display. Fine at the office, not not keen on gaming on it.

All that said I’d happily drop a few Gs for a curved ultrawide OLED monitor in any size 34”+.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; November 25 2020 at 08:19:28 PM.

I mean my 21:9 34” ultrawide already has distortion and whatnot in the peripheral; I don’t consider it too much of a problem. Maybe even a boon, I sometimes use the edge-zoom effect to get a closer look at things. Have a 2080, not super worried about horsepower.

But I do not think I’ll be upgrading; I’ve only had my current monitor for 18 months and even though it was free (thanks, Amazon!), upgrading at this juncture seems like a waste. I also think I’m more keen on the 38” form factor used by Dell and LG, at 1600 vertical pixels, over an even wider 1440 res monitor.

Really I want someone to make a 52” 21:9 monitor. As wide as the G9 and other 49” displays, but at 1600px vertical res. I’d just get a second Dell 38 for home use, but lol 60hz display. Fine at the office, not not keen on gaming on it.

All that said I’d happily drop a few Gs for a curved ultrawide OLED monitor in any size 34”+.
    Well if you want a 55" OLED, LG do a 4k one for about 1300...
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.