hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 486 of 488 FirstFirst ... 386436476483484485486487488 LastLast
Results 9,701 to 9,720 of 9760

Thread: Pestilence or: How I Learned to Worry Constantly and Live with COVID

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Holy shit they are still in lockdown?
    China's lockdown will affect the entire planet. If this kind madness continues past summer then even the unessential will be bought at outrageous prices for the Christmas season.
    Ships waiting to dock because of China’s insane COVID strategy.

Last edited by Candy Crush; May 11 2022 at 04:08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    Well, the UK strategy seems to be working. Let everyone at risk of serious illness die, the rest can go on working.
    And yet, our excess deaths for 2022 so far are broadly in line with the 2015-2019 average.
    Because everyone affected died in 2020/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    China's lockdown will affect the entire planet. If this kind madness continues past summer then even the unessential will be bought at outrageous prices for the Christmas season.
    You seem to have mixed up cause and effect: it's not China's lockdown, that's the effect. It's the sillyness of JIT production, we'll-spare-us-the-warehouse-costs-let-the-suppliers-handle-that-for-us stupidity western management receives outragous wages for. Those affect the entire planet ... and obviously haven't learned anything in the past 3 years of the pandemic. Blame China, that'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post

Whats teh color coding for that map. That could be a map of sea ants and their pray for all we know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Well, the UK strategy seems to be working. Let everyone at risk of serious illness die, the rest can go on working.
    And yet, our excess deaths for 2022 so far are broadly in line with the 2015-2019 average.
    We certainly fucked up in 2020, but much of Europe seemed to play catch up in 2021. There's also the small matter that excess deaths for various countries seem to suggest they had more Covid deaths than the official numbers indicate.

We certainly fucked up in 2020, but much of Europe seemed to play catch up in 2021. There's also the small matter that excess deaths for various countries seem to suggest they had more Covid deaths than the official numbers indicate.
    I have no idea why would this matter?
    Numbers in 2022 would of course match earlier averages or be close enough. First Omicron is far far milder than previous strains so you have fewer people in hospitals and fewer people lacking the care they need. At risk groups either learned how to avoid it, got their shots or died by now (or gotten over it). None of this has any comment on efficiency or sensibility of UK anti covid strategy.

Numbers in 2022 would of course match earlier averages or be close enough. First Omicron is far far milder than previous strains so you have fewer people in hospitals and fewer people lacking the care they need. At risk groups either learned how to avoid it, got their shots or died by now (or gotten over it). None of this has any comment on efficiency or sensibility of UK anti covid strategy.
    Are we talking current strategy or previous strategies? The criticism I initially responded to seemed to be talking about the UK's current strategy (i.e. no restrictions, heavily encourage vaccination). I took your criticism of everybody vulnerable already being dead as facetious, but that criticism certainly wasn't without merit in 2020. Since July 2021, when we opened up, the UK strategy doesn't seem to be any worse than anywhere else.

So, I guess I have to ask, what makes the UK's current strategy worse than anywhere else? If we're singling it out, there must be something wrong with it.

The food crisis may make us forget COVID. Out of the blue I was contacted by a supplier wanting my next barley crop. I have no plans to plant any more crops plus the rain has made conditions bad for grain atm. They then offered a future contract with an up-front non-refundable component to plant. WTF.

I did however sell the 1.5 tons I had kept as animal feed at nearly twice the price I sold the rest of the grain.

I'd hate to be in a nation reliant on cheap food imports in a year's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    The food crisis may make us forget COVID. Out of the blue I was contacted by a supplier wanting my next barley crop. I have no plans to plant any more crops plus the rain has made conditions bad for grain atm. They then offered a future contract with an up-front non-refundable component to plant. WTF.

I did however sell the 1.5 tons I had kept as animal feed at nearly twice the price I sold the rest of the grain.

So...what will the animals eat now? Or are all the animals food by years end?

Also what does "contract with an up-front non-refundable component to plant" mean in agri speak?
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Also what does "contract with an up-front non-refundable component to plant" mean in agri speak?
    Well, animal production is very grain intensive. Someone is probably not breeding as many. You think grain prices are gonna be rough, wait till we see what meat prices go to.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post

Well, animal production is very grain intensive. Someone is probably not breeding as many. You think grain prices are gonna be rough, wait till we see what meat prices go to.
    Vegetarians with personal gardens and land to plant more rejoice?

Are we talking current strategy or previous strategies? The criticism I initially responded to seemed to be talking about the UK's current strategy (i.e. no restrictions, heavily encourage vaccination). I took your criticism of everybody vulnerable already being dead as facetious, but that criticism certainly wasn't without merit in 2020. Since July 2021, when we opened up, the UK strategy doesn't seem to be any worse than anywhere else.

So, I guess I have to ask, what makes the UK's current strategy worse than anywhere else? If we're singling it out, there must be something wrong with it.
    Mine was more of a general statement since im expecting excess deaths to be around average in most of the western world. I wasn't pointing fingers at any uk strategy in general.

It means they will pay you to plant the crop up front, with an agreed upon price for the final harvest.

He's expressing that it's highly unusual for someone to offer a non-refundable incentive to plant as if the crop spoils then he still has what is basically free money. It almost treats the farmer as a service supplier rather than a product supplier and that is not really how it normally goes. More importantly such an arrangement reduces the burden of risk the farmer is exposed to with regard to the outlay for seed, fertiliser etc.

TLDR: Getting paid to try, rather than getting paid only upon delivery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

This dude (Peter Zeihan) gives a good rundown of how fucked the world is going to get foodwise cause of this war.

https://youtu.be/NsorIQbwVBc

He's generally got good videos on what to expect in the future.

Tl;dr: we're fucked

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    This dude (Peter Zeihan) gives a good rundown of how fucked the world is going to get foodwise cause of this war.

https://youtu.be/NsorIQbwVBc

He's generally got good videos on what to expect in the future.

Tl;dr: we're fucked
    You're saying it's in the world's interest to enter this war and bring it to a swift end?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

I'm not. He's speaking from a USA point of view.

Unless there's a nuclear war, USA profits from all of this the most and loses the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

My cattle are all grass fed and I have deliberately under-stocked to help regenerate the land. The grain was a emergency supply in case of drought. The plan was to make hay from the extra grass but it has rained for months so hay making and grain sowing are impossible till things dry out.

What is happening is grain suppliers with contracts to deliver in 6-12 months time are afraid that there wont be enough grain, so they are all trying to lock down sources now. In particular niche crops like brewers barley.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

My cattle are all grass fed and I have deliberately under-stocked to help regenerate the land. The grain was a emergency supply in case of drought. The plan was to make hay from the extra grass but it has rained for months so hay making and grain sowing are impossible till things dry out.

What is happening is grain suppliers with contracts to deliver in 6-12 months time are afraid that there wont be enough grain, so they are all trying to lock down sources now. In particular niche crops like brewers barley.
    What tulip said and you above isn't that a good thing from your perspective? I am a city a boy and the most i ever got from agri was my uncle's vineyard in the Golan (with some random news articles of course).

From 'Clarksons farm' i also understood that farming in the west is a negative income source without subsidy's.

Out of curiosity tell me what you are doing now (next seasons) and why?
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Thing to remember is that while I was born on a farm to North West NSW I grew up in Sydney and had a career as a scientist then as an accounting professional before selling up and becoming a farmer. I made my money first, so I do not face the pressures a normal farmer would face regarding debt (I have none) and securing an income across the boom-bust cycles (I have investments).

I bought the farm from a retiring couple in what turned out to be the last year of a five year drought. First year the farm had no stock but hay was at a premium so I made and sold hay. Then the bushfires came (I was in a unburnt area) so I took in a lot of livestock from burnt out farms (I still have a surviving cow saucy moo who was badly burnt but survived). After that I bought a number of Angus cows plus a bull. They were expensive as everyone was restocking after the drought but that allowed me to generate calves both for sale and for the meat trade (steers).

I grew a crop of barley once targeting the craft brewing market. As the land had never been cropped I got a bumper yield but the return didn't match cattle on the same land. Plus I am trying to avoid external inputs to maintain soil fertility.

So this year it is only cattle. The plan was to also cut grass to make hay but it has been too wet. I'll be selling around 75 head this year, although my new bull Carlos got into the cows early so I'll have spotty calving.

Thanks for the information. I expect there might be a bit more attention paid to your industry, which most people kinda take for granted.

Carlos the horney bull, messin' with our local farming authority!
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang