hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 231 of 253 FirstFirst ... 131181221228229230231232233234241 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,620 of 5055

Thread: PLAGUE: Not even Best Korea is safe

basically all of scandinavia is expecting to go back into lockdowns come fall Ashaz.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    You do however have the problem with not being anywhere close to herd imunity yet.
    Neither does anyone else. Even in parts of the US where the virus was running rampant and the health systems effectively collapsed aren't anywhere close. NYC for example is estimated at maybe 20% total infected, and that cost at least 23,000 deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    You do however have the problem with not being anywhere close to herd imunity yet.
    Neither does anyone else. Even in parts of the US where the virus was running rampant and the health systems effectively collapsed aren't anywhere close. NYC for example is estimated at maybe 20% total infected, and that cost at least 23,000 deaths.
    And adding that lasting immunity is something where no one knows if it really works (this time for real). There is a ton of conflicting evidence about who does or does not develop antibodies and how long they stay active, while it simply impossible to know how antibodies behave a year down the line for a virus that has been around mere months.

I honestly hope herd immunity from infection sourced antibodies works, but betting all your horses on it still seems rather foolhardy.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I love how everyone ignores that there are other people other than students in schools as well.

The kids might get over the virus a bit better than older people. But the teachers might not. And in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, there's a massive teacher shortage. Judging from the posts on reddit the situation in the US has a different background, but the result is almost the same.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

it's fine joe, once the school system collapses entirely it can simply be covered by extending sunday school to cover the shortfall and bring god and jesus back to where they're supposed to be, the center of the lives of every american.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    it's fine joe, once the school system collapses entirely it can simply be covered by extending sunday school to cover the shortfall and bring god and jesus back to where they're supposed to be, the center of the lives of every american.
    You know, we start with regular school as well in three weeks. I'm more worried about what it will do to our school system when our teachers get sick in larger numbers. It's massively overstretched as it is. Regular flu season pushes my school to the brink of running a skeleton timetable or even closing completely.

And we don't have Sunday school, as religious education is part of the German school system.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

if it collapses, it collapses, don't run yourself ragged trying to make the impossible happen. it's just going to leave you severely stressed out and stress significantly hampers your own immune system response.

im not implying you should not care or anything like that obviously, it's just that sometimes failure becomes inevitable, and it's better to just let it happen than getting caught in collapse.
    Viking, n.:

if it collapses, it collapses, don't run yourself ragged trying to make the impossible happen. it's just going to leave you severely stressed out and stress significantly hampers your own immune system response.

im not implying you should not care or anything like that obviously, it's just that sometimes failure becomes inevitable, and it's better to just let it happen than getting caught in collapse.
    What the fuck are you on about? Is that one of your revolutionary fantasies again?

The education system collapsing. Just like capitalism collapsed under the coronavirus.

/kneejerkrant

I'm more annoyed with a lot of posts about schools opening up again looking at the students and their families as one should but ignoring the teachers and what teacher demographics look like (hint: at 35 I'm a young teacher here) is awfully dangerous, as lots of sick teachers will force school closures faster than sick students will. Not to mention that sick teachers can't remote school either.

I mean, thanks for your concern, but I'm pretty good about taking care of myself. I already had a stroke after working myself hard at uni. I know when to take it easy as well as how to make taking it easy look like hard work.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

What the fuck are you on about? Is that one of your revolutionary fantasies again?

The education system collapsing. Just like capitalism collapsed under the coronavirus.

/kneejerkrant

I'm more annoyed with a lot of posts about schools opening up again looking at the students and their families – as one should – but ignoring the teachers and what teacher demographics look like (hint: at 35 I'm a young teacher here) is awfully dangerous, as lots of sick teachers will force school closures faster than sick students will. Not to mention that sick teachers can't remote school either.

I mean, thanks for your concern, but I'm pretty good about taking care of myself. I already had a stroke after working myself hard at uni. I know when to take it easy as well as how to make taking it easy look like hard work.

Tapapapatalk
    eh, just trying to point out and communicate i give a fuck in a not entirely abstract sense here.

if things are going to go to hell from reopening schools, and there's a rather large amount concern about that basically everywhere, then it's going to happen. and knowing a fair few teachers, every single one of them would work themselves to the bones to make a impossible situation work because, as a rule, teachers actually care about what happens.

sometimes, people need to hear things they already know.
    Viking, n.:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

/kneejerkrant

I'm more annoyed with a lot of posts about schools opening up again looking at the students and their families as one should but ignoring the teachers and what teacher demographics look like (hint: at 35 I'm a young teacher here) is awfully dangerous, as lots of sick teachers will force school closures faster than sick students will. Not to mention that sick teachers can't remote school either.

Tapapapatalk
    eh, just trying to point out and communicate i give a fuck in a not entirely abstract sense here.

if things are going to go to hell from reopening schools, and there's a rather large amount concern about that basically everywhere, then it's going to happen. and knowing a fair few teachers, every single one of them would work themselves to the bones to make a impossible situation work because, as a rule, teachers actually care about what happens.

sometimes, people need to hear things they already know.
    Fair enough. But you don't really need to worry. As I pointed out, once we hit a number of sick colleagues, we can't legally teach the kids anymore anyway. And that number isn't hard to reach during regular flu season. A few colleagues aren't allowed in due to being at high risk anyway, so we're closer to that number anyway.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Of course, there is no way the sick kids will go home and infect the rest of their families, right?
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Serves em right for having kids in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Of course, there is no way the sick kids will go home and infect the rest of their families, right?
    Good thing everyone is worried about that. Now if they were also considering the impact on their teacher workforce, that'd be better.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Sasko View Post
    And adding that lasting immunity is something where no one knows if it really works (this time for real). There is a ton of conflicting evidence about who does or does not develop antibodies and how long they stay active, while it simply impossible to know how antibodies behave a year down the line for a virus that has been around mere months.

I honestly hope herd immunity from infection sourced antibodies works, but betting all your horses on it still seems rather foolhardy.
    Does any (sane) government even still play the "herd immunity" card? I haven't heard it being mentioned in quite a while from official sources, because of the things you listed.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Multi-generational families are more common among minorities and poor people. There is speculation that the policy was crafted with full knowledge of that fact.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

Does any (sane) government even still play the "herd immunity" card? I haven't heard it being mentioned in quite a while from official sources, because of the things you listed.
    I would say Sweden but Sweden is a fucking shithole.

Also, Joe... even one infected colleague should be enough to have the entire staff fuck off for a period. Fuck that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

I would say Sweden but Sweden is a fucking shithole.

Also, Joe... even one infected colleague should be enough to have the entire staff fuck off for a period. Fuck that shit.
    Yup its how it works here. Someone at school gets infected, either a teacher or one of the parents, and it's immediate fuck no.

My school kept strict distance rules among students - only two periods per group, small groups of eight, teachers were encouraged to only go to their classes and work from home for the other stuff, no recess etc.

One kid was infected before the summer break. The kids group and the teachers stayed home until test results came back negative. The teachers only came in for their classes and thus no one else had to stay at home. If one of those teachers had been me, the number of teachers etc staying home would have been bigger due to more meetings etc. That decision was not made by our administration but by the borough's health department btw.

Closing school has had a (not) surprising side effect. One of my students had too much free time and managed to rack up seven charges of trespassing, assault, threatening, carrying a weapon within eight weeks. I had the joy of hosting a meeting between his mother, himself and detectives of the youth crime unit of our police. The kid now has his own personal case handler that has just one job, see what charges stick and get the kid in front of a judge. Which will lead to some time in juvie.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Viking, n.: