hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 252 of 268 FirstFirst ... 152202242249250251252253254255262 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,040 of 5349

Thread: PLAGUE: Not even Best Korea is safe

There's a major factor in Africa that everyone's ignoring, and that's mobility.

People don't move around African countries like they do developed countries. There will have been localised outbreaks but that's what they'll remain, localised outbreaks. Unless you can afford to fly, moving around the interior of most African nations is a fairly major undertaking.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    at the worst its .06% death rate. Waay lower than what I was expecting. 10x lower.
    That's not what a rate of 600 per million killed means, mate.
    600 people died so far per 1,000,000 population. 600/1,000,000 = .0006, x 100% = .06%

More data supports it as well:

41,000 deaths in UK for a population of 68 million is .061%.

In Texas we have 29 million and almost 14k deaths, .04%. Would that go up as everyone gets infected? Probably, but people will have to start dying at 10x the rate they are to even get close to the 1% fatality I was worried about.
    I think you are confusing two things here. The .06% is measured against the total population. When people talk about death rate, they typically mean the case fatality rate, which is measured against the number of infections. The CFR is still thought the be about 2% as far as I know.

And the beer virus leaves lasting problems to many that survive it. "Oh, you didn't die, but here are some nice heart problems and lung damage for the rest of your life"

Just like flu. And if you're really lucky flu can leave you with permanent neurological damage.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Just like flu. And if you're really lucky flu can leave you with permanent neurological damage.
    stop with the "just like flu" shit already it was dumb in March it's dumb now.

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    You're saying it doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by MortyM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    at the worst its .06% death rate. Waay lower than what I was expecting. 10x lower.
    That's not what a rate of 600 per million killed means, mate.
    600 people died so far per 1,000,000 population. 600/1,000,000 = .0006, x 100% = .06%

More data supports it as well:

41,000 deaths in UK for a population of 68 million is .061%.

In Texas we have 29 million and almost 14k deaths, .04%. Would that go up as everyone gets infected? Probably, but people will have to start dying at 10x the rate they are to even get close to the 1% fatality I was worried about.
    I think you are confusing two things here. The .06% is measured against the total population. When people talk about death rate, they typically mean the case fatality rate, which is measured against the number of infections. The CFR is still thought the be about 2% as far as I know.
    Ah yea that's true. My hope is that more people have been infected versus confirmed cases which would bring the overall death rate down. I'm an example of someone who had it but didn't get tested. You might ask how I know I had it without testing, and the reality is I won't unless I went in for antibody testing, but I had constant close contact with someone who was tested to have it and I experienced mild symptoms of tightness in the chest versus them having full on flu symptoms. I'm hoping the real death rate at the end of it all is lower than 2% and even 1%, but I know it should be higher than .06%.

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    You're saying it doesn't?
    Falling out of bed can break your bones. So can getting hit by a bus. That doesn't make them comparable.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, it's possible that you're just looking at possible long-term effects and not considering the frequency with which they occur-- specifically, that they're showing up far, far more often in COVID patients than in regular flu patients.

But "Just like the flu" is a common refrain from people trying to downplay the severity of COVID-19, and thus is going to get you mocked if you don't clarify what you mean.
    Quarantined and loving life.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Cases are rising in the EU but declining in Sweden. What are they doing differently?

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/...&values=deaths
    Different populations, number of people in a household, demographics etc...

With regards to the rising number of cases in the UK and 'local lockdowns' not restricting gatherings in pubs...
    Looking at those restricted areas... Really makes you think...
    Makes you think what?

C'mon, don't dog whistle, say it with your whole chest.
    I'm not getting anything off my chest. People of colour seem to be more at risk from this disease, either through simple genetics or being geneticaly predisposed to at risk conditions. Add in to the fact that they're more likely to live in multigenerational households I'm not really surprised that there are local lockdowns in areas of the 'North'.

Cases are rising in the EU but declining in Sweden. What are they doing differently?

With regards to the rising number of cases in the UK and 'local lockdowns' not restricting gatherings in pubs...
    Makes you think what?

I'm not getting anything off my chest. People of colour seem to be more at risk from this disease, either through simple genetics or being geneticaly predisposed to at risk conditions. Add in to the fact that they're more likely to live in multigenerational households I'm not really surprised that there are local lockdowns in areas of the 'North'.
    You know, when you say "It makes you think" literally no one thinks "multigenerational households". Just for future reference.

Anyway, Vitamin D deficiency is suspected to play an important part regarding Covid. Both contraction and severity.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/936928

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post

Makes you think what?

You know, when you say "It makes you think" literally no one thinks "multigenerational households". Just for future reference.

Anyway, Vitamin D deficiency is suspected to play an important part regarding Covid. Both contraction and severity.

So, you're proving me right?

Lol didn't imagine the right wing contingent to become the vorderline " its all a hoax and you are overreacting" contingent in here. Complete fucking morons.

lark is an absolute unit, but i wouldnt go so far as to call him a contingent
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post

Makes you think what?

So, you're proving me right?
    Regarding which part? That you can't make a simple observation without coming off as a racist twat or the actual usefull information of Vitamin D?

I dunno, I guess we have to think about it.

Im eating my vitamin D, but i done that for as long as i worked nightshift. Coming up at 3 years soon. So far Rona free.. but could be said nightshift makes me meet less people or its the magic scandinavian climate and visits outdoors to the sun whenever im off work.

Makes you think what?

This obviously have nothing to do with class, and how well paid jobs you have...
    Clearly nothing to do with the fact if your coloured your probably more likely to be in a low income job and live with a greater commute distance then more wealthier peers.

Meaning you have no choice but get on that crammed buss or that subway for a longer period of time then a person of more wealth (but same type of job), and ofc no cushy "work from home" for you whatsoever.
    Middle class haven't really been to the offices in force since march.

Obviously its all a coincidence the wealthy neighbourhoods have a 2,5% Immunity rate but the poor areas have up to 18%.

Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post

Makes you think what?

This obviously have nothing to do with class, and how well paid jobs you have...
    Clearly nothing to do with the fact if your coloured your probably more likely to be in a low income job and live with a greater commute distance then more wealthier peers.

Meaning you have no choice but get on that crammed buss or that subway for a longer period of time then a person of more wealth (but same type of job), and ofc no cushy "work from home" for you whatsoever.
    Middle class haven't really been to the offices in force since march.

Obviously its all a coincidence the wealthy neighbourhoods have a 2,5% Immunity rate but the poor areas have up to 18%.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52219070

go wild
    Last edited by Duckslayer; September 14 2020 at 08:43:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    One could narrate a similar story (basically stealing everything that made him successful) for Steve Jobs.
    The same story plays out for pretty much any 'self made' billionaire.

Being a billionaire is by nature exploitative.
    Most of these nowadays inherit their wealth. There's very few (compared to the total # of billionaires), these days that created that amount of money themselves. And I bet the majorty of these recent folks did so by starting some kind of IT business.

There are other surpising numbers. Surprising in the sense that scheince can't explain it yet. E.g. in Germany the death rate sinks.