hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Exploding City Appreciation Thread

Absolute clusterfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Watched those various "angle #X" linked above.

Pretty sure at least a few of them are dead now.

Angle #1 is especially haunting, as was Angle #9.

Just horrible
    Yeah, some of them are from livestreams, where people were initially filming the burning fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post

Just horrible
    Yeah, some of them are from livestreams, where people were initially filming the burning fireworks.
    The days of “well he managed to upload it so he must have survived” are long over.

One report on Breakfast this morning claimed they have as little as one months food supplies left after this?

Just horrible
    Wondering how many crew were onboard those ships next to the blast site as well? Probably need a fire hose to clean them up..

Quote Originally Posted by Warpath View Post
    One report on Breakfast this morning claimed they have as little as one months food supplies left after this?
    The grain silo next to the warehouse that exploded contained 80% of Lebanon's grain supplies or something.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Fuck.

To put things into perspective this is how big the blast in Lebanon was. EVERY building in the wider area will have had their windows blown out at the very least. I canít even imagine what happened to the poor people in the inner areas.

https://www.islamic-relief.org.uk/lebanon-emergency/
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

that's not right, that's a multi megaton explosion, it was "only" 2.75 kt estimated.

here's how it would look, including casualty estimate, i have totally accidentally, picked the bank of england as the impact point using nukemap.

Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Fair enough - i'm just relinking - but (From another thread) :

2750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate ~~ 6 million lb bomb. So the equivalent of a 6 kilotonne nuclear bomb but yeah, much smaller. it's *fine* then.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Fuck.

To put things into perspective this is how big the blast in Lebanon was. EVERY building in the wider area will have had their windows blown out at the very least. I can’t even imagine what happened to the poor people in the inner areas.

https://www.islamic-relief.org.uk/lebanon-emergency/
    That is actually the tidal wave formed when YOUR MUM jumps off the Millennium bridge into the Thames

lmao gottem

2750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate ~~ 6 million lb bomb. So the equivalent of a 6 kilotonne nuclear bomb but yeah, much smaller. it's *fine* then.
    the explosion itself was, last i looked, estimated to be 2.75 kt, kt figures are equivalent to tons of TNT, 2.75kt ammonium nitrate + fireworks boom = 2.75kt nuclear boom (with added radiation)
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

I reckon this was all planned by big-glazing, they paid off the judges to not release the ammonium nitrate from the port and hired a welder to pop into the fireworks warehouse.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

the explosion itself was, last i looked, estimated to be 2.75 kt, kt figures are equivalent to tons of TNT, 2.75kt ammonium nitrate + fireworks boom = 2.75kt nuclear boom (with added radiation)
    I also checked out his bobbins maths and deleted another mocking post because i couldnt get the figure in megastones

Speaking of nukes, it's the anniversary of the Hiroshima bomb today.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    2750 tons of TNT is the equivalent of 8 Tianjin explosions. Judging by the number of pixels and my prowess in staring at images in photoshop I don't think it was that powerful?

While we don’t know how the ammonium nitrate was stored in the warehouse, which would affect its explosive power, the chemical can be as much as 40 percent as powerful as TNT. The detonation of 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate would make the Beirut event one of the most powerful accidental industrial explosions on record and could produce enough overpressure to shatter glass 1.25 miles away.
    - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/v...n-footage.html

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    While we don’t know how the ammonium nitrate was stored in the warehouse, which would affect its explosive power, the chemical can be as much as 40 percent as powerful as TNT. The detonation of 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate would make the Beirut event one of the most powerful accidental industrial explosions on record and could produce enough overpressure to shatter glass 1.25 miles away.
    - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/v...n-footage.html
    So in the sub kiloton range then, doubt it was above one kiloton. But it's purely up to speculation

Regardless of the specific size (you friggin autists, lol), it was a horrible event, and a horrible and tragic loss of human life for such a dumb, "failure of the routine" administrative reason. I doubt any of us would want that to occur in any of our own domestic cities, and it makes you wonder which of our cities might similarly have a ticking time bomb like this.

Now, in the middle of COVID and the worst American administration is history, we have a huge humanitarian crisis in Lebanon given their reportedly tiny remaining grain stores (less than 1 month I've heard, as some noted above).

Hope someone can pick up that humanitarian aid slack, maybe the EU or UK?

Trumps response was embarrassingly sickening as usual, as are some of the "Israel bombed it" conspiracy theories already making the rounds....

How much of the rest of the (western) world still use/traffic very large amounts of ammonium nitrate?
    I thought it was replaced by other stuff and IIRC the US forced changes in how its handled and used? Or was that only to change it in fertilizers to make it non-bomb after Oklahoma. again iirc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.