Thread: Space the third frontier

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Moon is *moist*.

Spoiler:
    Just like my loins after reading this.

https://www.cnet.com/features/nasa-t...r-on-the-moon/
      Spoiler:
    Thats because you're thinking about that big, bulgy telescope strapped to that bad boy plane isnt it!?
      Spoiler:
    You're so big and long, notice me 747 senpai uguuu~~~

Cool then they can fucking stay on Mars when they get there and never come back. Make sure to bring Elon.

I really admire his dedication. And with that all the things/industries he got moving after becoming involved with one of his enterprises.

I don't however understand his obsession with Mars. Yes - this planet is fucked. But actually colonizing Mars won't happene anytime soon. Those who try will die miserably, I'm afraid. And it's not missing technology that prevents mankind from properly colonizing it. One of the more obvious facts for that is that Mars' mass is too low to hold onto an atmosphere, even if mankind somehow manages to create one through terraforming. You'd need to keep terraforming forever in order to constantly renew the leaked atmosphere.

Iirc the lack of magnetosphere is the bigger problem than mass

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Iirc the lack of magnetosphere is the bigger problem than mass
    Yeah both those are insane hurdles. The resources needed to develop Mars could make Earth a paradise for all.

We are better off looking at harvesting asteroids for minerals, but a bunch of moronic billionaires get to decide with money they stole from workers so now we have this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I really admire his dedication. And with that all the things/industries he got moving after becoming involved with one of his enterprises.

I don't however understand his obsession with Mars....
    He did an interview about this years ago, where he stated he is trying to use his wealth to avoid the largest threats to humanity, namely AI, climate change and the single planet problem. Hence Tesla, SpaceX and he's got fingers in AI pies. Colonisation of Mars is to solve the single planet problem, where a single extinction level event on Earth wipes out the entire species. If we have self sufficient colonies across multiple planets that problem is averted.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormus View Post

He did an interview about this years ago, where he stated he is trying to use his wealth to avoid the largest threats to humanity, namely AI, climate change and the single planet problem. Hence Tesla, SpaceX and he's got fingers in AI pies. Colonisation of Mars is to solve the single planet problem, where a single extinction level event on Earth wipes out the entire species. If we have self sufficient colonies across multiple planets that problem is averted.
    Mars cannot sustain life without Earth for well, thousands if not millions of years, but sure, waste your money going their Elon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormus View Post

Oh god he's even dumber than I thought
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Terraforming may take hundreds of thousands or millions of years. Making a self sufficient settlement should take at most a century or two.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Terraforming may take hundreds of thousands or millions of years. Making a self sufficient settlement should take at most a century or two.

I think you have no concept of how a settlement that is meant to be self-sufficient would even work, but if you want to believe that Mars colonies is even a feasible idea anytime in the next hundred years, or would have any benefits in the next hundred years, you are drinking the Elon juice pretty hard. Dude is a billionaire, the very talented people he has working for him would do the work regardless of his little play ideas, but they might be able to do the work of solving issues that plague space travel first without satisfying some egotists idiotic ideas. Space exploration is a worthy endeavor, but Mars colonies is about as dumb as fucking dust on Mars. Making resource collection and energy harvesting from space would make more sense, the worth of one small asteroid able to be harvested and efficiently brought to earth would mean no one would ever need to mine earth for minerals commonly found in the belt again. What the fuck is a Mars colony gonna do, die when the Earth does or a major global issue means their goods they can never manufacture there go bye bye and they can just wait death out?

Elon Musk isn't efficient capital allocation.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Ok then, do it on Antarctica first. Or on top of a mountain. Or on the bottom of the ocean. Then do it in LEO. Then do it on a Moon base.

Still: we currently live in the perfect habitat for humans: Earth!

So instead of spending (wasting?) ridiculous amounts of money for recreating the perfect circumstances somewhere else, how about simply spending that money to preserve what we've already got here? That's the way easier and cheaper solution.

Still: we currently live in the perfect habitat for humans: Earth!

So instead of spending (wasting?) ridiculous amounts of money for recreating the perfect circumstances somewhere else, how about simply spending that money to preserve what we've already got here? That's the way easier and cheaper solution.
    This planet is fucked and overcrowded by poor brown people, better ROI for über rich to create their very own Elysiums.

Edit.

To expand a bit before some smartass cuts me down. While its vastly more difficult and expensive to set up long term livable environments in space whether in orbit or on other planets, space has a huge advantage of not having hundreds of millions of angry starving impoverished people with some arms and nothing to lose coming for you.

Last edited by dzajic; November 3 2020 at 12:09:58 PM.

We could just use the money to address multiple global problems and reduce poverty, leading to declining global birth rates.

What Keckers said: the amount of money needed to create something that even remotely resembles an Earth 2.0, we'd be able to solve all those problems you listed, dzajic. And even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    We could just use the money to address multiple global problems and reduce poverty, leading to declining global birth rates.
    But then you are spending money to help poor people, not to provide safe and comfortable lives for the rich!
    I'm 100% certain that if you forced rich to pay for one or another they would rather pay a trillion dollars for their private space station or moonbase (self sufficient, or at least partially) then on investing into breaking USA infrastructure.

Sometimes its just about selfishness.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    But then you are spending money to help poor people, not to provide safe and comfortable lives for the rich!
    I'm 100% certain that if you forced rich to pay for one or another they would rather pay a trillion dollars for their private space station or moonbase (self sufficient, or at least partially) then on investing into breaking USA infrastructure.

Sometimes its just about selfishness.
    Even this sarcastic take is about as dumb as the original m8. Also stop saying partially self sufficient, nothing we build for the foreseeable future on anything but Earth will be even remotely self sufficient.

Does a "fully self sufficient" means that you can manufacture everything human society may ever need to live on Mars, on Mars, by using Martian resources. So by default a Moon base or a space colony can never by fully self sufficient. Or we can say "needs no more imports from Earth that Earth alone can provide" maybe?

How about living conditions, do you consider living in underground complexes self sufficient or you require a fully terraformed Mars?

Depending on how you define "self sufficient" you can have it in two or three centuries or in 100,000 years or never.

But unless you start building infrastructure and economy throughout the Solar System you will never get there. Never.