hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2835363738

Thread: "It just works" Linux aka "Anything better than Ubuntu?"

Seems like it. With Family Sharing in iCloud, you can share libaries, photos, apps, access to various services and have backup as well. If your family members are morons, you can always install them as children, and then you can manage their app privileges as well. I don't know how this is easier with local backup using linux and/or OS X VM, but I guess if you really want to complicate things, that sounds like the way to do it. Plus, with iCloud and FindMyPhone you can track family members, ping their phones, tablets etc. to all your hearts content.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    just to add, none of this is particularly hard in android either (which was a motivator to going to ios)

Well at the moment we're all quite heavily invested into iOS and taking advantage of family sharing and what not so that's ok. We're also happy with the long time they provide security updates unlike a lot of Android flagships that get forgotten after a year or so because reasons

I'll probably change my XS Max in about idk... 5 years maybe. Or when a significant camera upgrade will come along (which will probably be more than 5 years).

Anyhoo, we're also all big fans of local backups as opposed to iCloud crap. And that requires a computer running iTunes. Will probs run a VM at the end of the day and that will be it. Cheers.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Well at the moment we're all quite heavily invested into iOS and taking advantage of family sharing and what not so that's ok. We're also happy with the long time they provide security updates unlike a lot of Android flagships that get forgotten after a year or so because reasons

I'll probably change my XS Max in about idk... 5 years maybe. Or when a significant camera upgrade will come along (which will probably be more than 5 years).

Anyhoo, we're also all big fans of local backups as opposed to iCloud crap. And that requires a computer running iTunes. Will probs run a VM at the end of the day and that will be it. Cheers.
    I mean... 50gb of icloud is under 12 a year... just saying.

I mean how hard is it to agree that cloud backups are convenient but just not for everybody <3

Sure, to each their own.

But, looking at the issues you have and the steps you go to try to fix it, the perceived benefits of that local backup must be pretty huge..

I mean how hard is it to agree
    I see you're a newcomer to this forum, let me show you around
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Sure, to each their own.

But, looking at the issues you have and the steps you go to try to fix it, the perceived benefits of that local backup must be pretty huge..
    The thing is once setup the thing won't need another setup ever. Regular system backups that I can run remotely and everything is golden.

One of the issues with cloud backup is the area here is a mountain area. Thus the internet is excruciatingly slow and a reset of the phone with iCloud restore would take ages. Meanwhile, a local backup will run at USB 3.0 speeds

Also a local backup won't suddenly decide it doesn't like you (or your country, or what you're backing up, or just existing) any more and oh dear that's that, because you have precisely zero leverage over a "cloud service" in such a situation. I find reassurance from having the data I care about on a device in my physical possession. You can call me a crusty old luddite for this if you like.

On a total tangent: my second Linux birthday approaches, and I was wondering to celebrate how little I have had to learn in order to just get on with using it as my daily driver. Maybe switch to another distro despite the fact that my current setup is completely fine? IDK.

I have become incredibly spoiled by how peaceful it is to use compared to Windows.
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Gentoo stage1 bootstrap build or no balls.

More practically, try whichever of Debian/CentOS (Redhat) you haven't, as the parent versions of the more noob-friendly but our-way-or-the-highway distros.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

The thing is once setup the thing won't need another setup ever. Regular system backups that I can run remotely and everything is golden.
    Until, you know, he buys a new phone

One of the issues with cloud backup is the area here is a mountain area. Thus the internet is excruciatingly slow and a reset of the phone with iCloud restore would take ages. Meanwhile, a local backup will run at USB 3.0 speeds

That's a fair point, but how often does that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Also a local backup won't suddenly decide it doesn't like you (or your country, or what you're backing up, or just existing) any more and oh dear that's that, because you have precisely zero leverage over a "cloud service" in such a situation. I find reassurance from having the data I care about on a device in my physical possession. You can call me a crusty old luddite for this if you like.
    Nah man, it's ok. I do find that this sentiment is common among the BOFH/Admin kind of people; at least I have friends in that category and they mirror your sentiments. They tend to setup RAID-backup, favor torrent downloaded movies, tv-shows and music over streaming etc. This is all nice and dandy; but for the average Joe User out there, the risk of something failing in that backup, or something going wrong in the technical department, is usually way higher than the risk of Amazon, Apple, Dropbox, Google og Microsoft suddenly going "Fuck this shit, you're not getting your data back bitch!".

Then next week Trump provokes a trade war to bolster his rating or so he can declare a state of emergency or whatever, and suddenly your data is behind a sanction wall, so sad too bad.

If you don't control it, you don't own it.

Sure, sure. But that Raid0 using those IBM Deskstars you got for a song is good. Because, you know, you own it.

Trump is a lot more likely to provoke a trade dispute than I am to use RAID0 for anything ever.