hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1062 of 1080 FirstFirst ... 625629621012105210591060106110621063106410651072 ... LastLast
Results 21,221 to 21,240 of 21581

Thread: Ukraine: Russian Invasion

  1. #21221
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,342
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    The specter of genocide and ethnic cleansing has yet again returned to Europe

    Yay, ethnic cleansing. Can't wait for how this one will be spun by russlandverstehers in Germany and France.

  2. #21222
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    18,624
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    The specter of genocide and ethnic cleansing has yet again returned to Europe

    Yay, ethnic cleansing. Can't wait for how this one will be spun by russlandverstehers in Germany and France.
    "It's awesome when we do it!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  3. #21223
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    In the meantime,

    There are reports of another Russian ship on fire in the Black Sea, according to Ukrainian officials.

    Anton Gerashchenko, Adviser to the Minister of Internal Affairs of Ukraine, was told by his sources that the ship was hit, and a fire started on Thursday.

    "Russia lost another ship in the Black Sea," Gerashchenko said. "It is brand new auxiliary ship of project 23120 Vsevolod Bobrov."
    Ukraine seems to be taking great pleasure in slapping the Black Sea fleet in descending order of cost to build.

    BTW I encourage all here to read the wiki page on Snake Island. That is a very high density of history per hectare. Really interesting read.
    Has the clip of the ukrainian bombing run been posted yet? That place is *tiny*.

    https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status...27490230444035
    It has. Its still one of the most crazy things I've seen. But more "importantly", there are short, highly edited videos coming out from the absolute slaughter of orcs trying to cross that river.
    None show actual combat yet but very likely there is video showing a lot more. 73 confirmed equipment kills and likely hundreds of naZZi assholes, 1-2 battalions (BTG? Battle Groups?) worth. Rumors of a guy claiming to be the engineer behind the trap stating 1400-1500 dead across the area.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/com..._73_destroyed/
    Apparently they are still trying to cross, just 100m to the left, its not going any better. https://mobile.twitter.com/JimmySecU...JKduS1kf-jok3w
    Last edited by Lowa [NSN]; May 12 2022 at 10:50:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  4. #21224

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Hollandistan
    Posts
    8,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Russian ships carrying stolen Ukrainian grain turned away from Mediterranean ports -- but not all of them

    Russian grain ships, carrying stolen Ukrainian grain, are valid targets?
    Last week there was a Rus ship with 'gas' i assume LNG, not sure, landing in Sweden. The dock workers refused to unload the ship, it then went to NL. First they tried Amsterdam, denied. Then Rotterdam and also denied by dock workers and tow boats. After a short time in the north sea it went to Gibraltar. Afaik its still on its way and we will see if it can offload its cargo there.

    Going back to the 'propaganda' talks, this article is yet again a example " The Ukrainian Defense Ministry estimates". It could entirely be possible the grain merchant just sold it to a Rus merchant. We dont know if it was under duress, we dont know if there was a price paid etc. It could be that Ukr just considers all of their crops going to a Rus merchant is 'stolen' (the article does not clarify any of that).

    In this particular case i say this because there are a lot of NL/Dutch farmers in Ukr since 15 or so years and i have seen some dutch news pieces about them. They harvested recently and many can not get their crops out of the country because of various reasons. It is just very likely they sold it to the best buyer to get at least some money and that could very well be a Rus.
    Schopenhauer:

    All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

  5. #21225

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Russian ships carrying stolen Ukrainian grain turned away from Mediterranean ports -- but not all of them

    Russian grain ships, carrying stolen Ukrainian grain, are valid targets?
    Last week there was a Rus ship with 'gas' i assume LNG, not sure, landing in Sweden. The dock workers refused to unload the ship, it then went to NL. First they tried Amsterdam, denied. Then Rotterdam and also denied by dock workers and tow boats. After a short time in the north sea it went to Gibraltar. Afaik its still on its way and we will see if it can offload its cargo there.

    Going back to the 'propaganda' talks, this article is yet again a example " The Ukrainian Defense Ministry estimates". It could entirely be possible the grain merchant just sold it to a Rus merchant. We dont know if it was under duress, we dont know if there was a price paid etc. It could be that Ukr just considers all of their crops going to a Rus merchant is 'stolen' (the article does not clarify any of that).

    In this particular case i say this because there are a lot of NL/Dutch farmers in Ukr since 15 or so years and i have seen some dutch news pieces about them. They harvested recently and many can not get their crops out of the country because of various reasons. It is just very likely they sold it to the best buyer to get at least some money and that could very well be a Rus.
    A ship can't leave the port without cargo manifest with origin and destination of goods. They try first to unload in Egypt, then Liban, every time it was denied, that told me the shipment was without proper papers and illegal.

  6. #21226
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Russian ships carrying stolen Ukrainian grain turned away from Mediterranean ports -- but not all of them

    Russian grain ships, carrying stolen Ukrainian grain, are valid targets?
    Last week there was a Rus ship with 'gas' i assume LNG, not sure, landing in Sweden. The dock workers refused to unload the ship, it then went to NL. First they tried Amsterdam, denied. Then Rotterdam and also denied by dock workers and tow boats. After a short time in the north sea it went to Gibraltar. Afaik its still on its way and we will see if it can offload its cargo there.

    Going back to the 'propaganda' talks, this article is yet again a example " The Ukrainian Defense Ministry estimates". It could entirely be possible the grain merchant just sold it to a Rus merchant. We dont know if it was under duress, we dont know if there was a price paid etc. It could be that Ukr just considers all of their crops going to a Rus merchant is 'stolen' (the article does not clarify any of that).

    In this particular case i say this because there are a lot of NL/Dutch farmers in Ukr since 15 or so years and i have seen some dutch news pieces about them. They harvested recently and many can not get their crops out of the country because of various reasons. It is just very likely they sold it to the best buyer to get at least some money and that could very well be a Rus.
    A ship can't leave the port without cargo manifest with origin and destination of goods. They try first to unload in Egypt, then Liban, every time it was denied, that told me the shipment was without proper papers and illegal.
    ^^ This

    Also as additional insult, when you charter a ship. You hire it for a very strict time window.
    If you exceed this, you start to get daily fines. "small" ships usually start at the 10-12k USD range. PER DAY.
    Granted the whole cargo is stolen, they will still score big.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  7. #21227

    Join Date
    May 25, 2011
    Posts
    543
    A good human interest story from the Guardian. It shows the bravery and determination of a Ukrainian guy. And also that Russian soldiers are people (not orcs) and that at least some of them are half-decent.

    "The aim was to be the invisible man, says Igor Pedin, 61. It was to drift, as if a ghost, with his small trolley bag of supplies and dog Zhu-Zhu, a nine-year-old mongrel terrier, through the hellscape of the besieged port city of Mariupol, out into the badlands of Russian-occupied territories and on to the relative safety of the Ukrainian-held city of Zaporizhzhia – a mere 225km walk away."
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-from-mariupol

  8. #21228

    Join Date
    May 25, 2011
    Posts
    543
    An interesting Twitter thread about Russian troop levels and mobilization. It turns out that pretending this isn't a war makes it much harder for Russia to mobilize troops. Regular troops can also decline to fight and resign, when they would obviously be court-martialed, jailed or shot for doing this in wartime.

    Last edited by duckduck; May 13 2022 at 08:41:52 AM.

  9. #21229
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,911
    I know that it is common for UK to have a tea cooker in nearly every vehicle type.
    But Russians are out doing them with Washing Machines. I know hygiene is alpha omega, but equipping them in Helicopters is taking it to serious

    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  10. #21230
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    18,624
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    An interesting Twitter thread about Russian troop levels and mobilization. It turns out that pretending this isn't a war makes it much harder for Russia to mobilize troops. Regular troops can also decline to fight and resign, when they would obviously be court-martialed, jailed or shot for doing this in wartime.

    So the tl;dr is that Russia can potentially address their manpower issues without going full WAR WERE DECLARED - but that doesn't fix their equipment, organisational, logistical or morale issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  11. #21231

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    5,953
    Article about looting generally:

    https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/ht.../20220512.aspx

    The looting is actually helping Ukraine, in a sense. Soldiers who spend their time and effort looting spend less time fighting or preparing to fight, often find vodka and become less effective in combat, and inspire resistance.

  12. #21232
    Lief Siddhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    8,927
    One of my favorite passtimes these past weeks is hearing the copium regarding Russian military from 2 of my mates who are so anti-USA that they went full retard and are pro-Putin.

    It would be gunny if it weren't sad.

  13. #21233
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    18,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    One of my favorite passtimes these past weeks is hearing the copium regarding Russian military from 2 of my mates who are so anti-USA that they went full retard and are pro-Putin.

    It would be gunny if it weren't sad.
    Well you can always point out to them that now Russia has been revealed as a broke-ass bitch nation led by a whiny bitchboi, they can quietly ebay their Russian cosplay gear for whatever it'll get and go big on China or - if they prefer the hipster option - India.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  14. #21234
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    18,624
    Of course if they want a real anti-American team to support, then it's GOP all the way baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  15. #21235
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Of course if they want a real anti-American team to support, then it's GOP all the way baby.
    qft, but that would require semblence of intelligent thought.

  16. #21236
    Lief Siddhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    8,927
    They're pro-Russia and pro-China (the good guys since they oppose USA view, we mostly disagree over this) but also anti-GOP as well as anti-Democrat (2 evils view, we mostly agree over this).

    I'd describe them as tankies probably, they have this rose tinted view of communism thing hoing. They're otherwise hardcore old school antifa leftists.

    It's quite interesting to watch how lefties and righties react to the whole Ukraine thing. Lots of illusions and simplistic views are being shattered

  17. #21237

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Hollandistan
    Posts
    8,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    One of my favorite passtimes these past weeks is hearing the copium regarding Russian military from 2 of my mates who are so anti-USA that they went full retard and are pro-Putin.

    It would be gunny if it weren't sad.
    Maybe this just a NL thing, not sure, but the way the Anti-vax (the real nutter fringe not sceptics) went from Covid to Pro-Russia and with that anti-west conspiracy was mind-boggling to me at first. Just glided over. I get it now as a perpetual contrarian mindset but first it was so weird.
    Schopenhauer:

    All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

  18. #21238
    Lief Siddhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    8,927
    Eh, it's probably not that clear cut, although there is some overlap. There are many tribes and lots has to do with local peculiarities I'd say.

    From the above example of my 2 hardcore lefty mates, one got vacced right away and was in the "stick the unvaxxed into camps, stupid right wingers" (he also believes the Americans blamed China for the origin of the virus unjustly) while the other one was unvaxxed and totally anti mandatory vax laws which he sees as technofascism.

    There's always people arriving at similar conclusions from completely opposite directions and also people with the same roots branching off opposite to each other. And then it entwines back on the next issue.

  19. #21239
    Lief Siddhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    8,927
    Oh and they'd both prefer if they could have gotten the Sputnik vaccine, but "the evil west forbade it because of capitalism"

  20. #21240
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    18,999
    Everyone except Enlightened Centrists is a retard, basicaly.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •